Notices

Ego

Old 06-15-2011, 07:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Ego

Ego. What was once so important to me I know consider a bad word.

My ego kept me drinking for much longer than I wanted and I see it as a major roadblock in recovery.

You see, alcohol allowed me to feel greater than, instead of feeling less than.

Getting over what I thought I knew about myself, about life, and about you, and getting over my ego was paramount in my recovery.

When I seperate myself from you, I cheat myself out of what real life is. I become apart from, instead of a part of.

Is your ego getting in the way of your recovery? If so, is it worth it?

Kjell~

ego

the “I” or self of any person; a person as thinking, feeling, and willing, and distinguishing itself from the selves of others and from objects of its thought.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I always thought that Ego meant false self within certain parameters e.g. showing off, acting out etc...

Then i found out that Ego really means the "person" that i have created through my experiences, envirnoment and conditioning and that is not really me...so Ego, to me, does mean false self but every part of that false self...
Old 06-15-2011, 07:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
I always thought that Ego meant false self within certain parameters e.g. showing off, acting out etc...

Then i found out that Ego really means the "person" that i have created through my experiences, envirnoment and conditioning and that is not really me...so Ego, to me, does mean false self but every part of that false self...
I've never thought of it that way, but it makes total sense.

Kjell~
Old 06-15-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Life has taught me that I do not know everything. And going to AA taught me that I am not unique or alone in my problems. I literally heard myself reflected back to me. What was nerves at my first meeting turned into a feeling of bonding and belonging.

I think it's okay however to have a few boundaries. Day to day we're exposed to many interactions, not all of them healthy, we have to be able to protect our own space sometimes and be able to let go. Am talking here in a spiritual sense I guess as I studied Eastern philosophy a bit. We are individuals and have our own personalities, though part of the same human condition and of equal value. But I know what you're talking about with regard to recovery as I was stuck there myself for a long time, center of my own universe etc.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Kjell,
The thing about ego and self is that I cannot defeat either of them. Ego can't smash ego. Self can't reduce self. If ego deflation and reduction of self are to occur, then it is going to have to happen based upon God's power and doing.

What I can do, however, is take the actions asked of me by the steps and it is as a result of submitting myself to that process that God can act to change me. It is God that removes the self and the self-will that is blocking me off from Him. I can't do that.
Susan
Old 06-15-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by susanlauren View Post
What I can do, however, is take the actions asked of me by the steps and it is as a result of submitting myself to that process that God can act to change me. It is God that removes the self and the self-will that is blocking me off from Him. I can't do that.
Well said and the results have been nothing short of amazing (and surprising).

Kjell~
Old 06-15-2011, 08:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by susanlauren View Post
Kjell,
The thing about ego and self is that I cannot defeat either of them. Ego can't smash ego. Self can't reduce self. If ego deflation and reduction of self are to occur, then it is going to have to happen based upon God's power and doing.

Susan
Wow, so true...there is also a load of other stuff out there to explore...my sponsor said that i would start reading lots of books and go on a kind of info quest at about 2 years sober, well i did that a lot sooner...the end result was that i learned that everything i read with regard to change and spiritual growth was covered in the steps...although i have found a couple of books to be invaluable and they are sermon on the mount and a course in miracles, the latter which i am doing at the moment...

Growing spiritually, which obviously includes "dealing" with Ego, is the most worthwhile thing i have ever done...i think, if i remember right, it the first "wow i never looked at it that way, that makes sense" moment whilst going through the steps that really hooked me on finding out as much as i could and acting on it...to finally be able to see really is a gift isn't it:-)
Old 06-15-2011, 09:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

YeahGr8,
I can completely relate to the getting hooked part. It has been "hook, line and sinker" for me. Apparently this thing is a package deal, and I don't get to decide what comes with the package. I just wanted sobriety, relief from the mental obsessions and some semblance of peace and sanity in my life. I thought I was working the steps, but it turns out that the steps were working me. What I am getting is an entirely new life and a design for life that is a solution for every question I have ever had. I would have settled for so much less than what my Higher Power had/has in store for me.
Susan
Old 06-15-2011, 09:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, definitely, Kjell.

I didn't realize how my ego controlled my life, and in a bad way. It was constantly running tapes through my mind about how I was different, and as you said separate from others. My ego constantly focused on the differences between me and everyone else. Thank goodness I now feel so much apart of the whole. It has changed my perspective in how I see the people around me.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Yes, definitely, Kjell.

I didn't realize how my ego controlled my life, and in a bad way. It was constantly running tapes through my mind about how I was different, and as you said separate from others. My ego constantly focused on the differences between me and everyone else. Thank goodness I now feel so much apart of the whole. It has changed my perspective in how I see the people around me.
That's so true as well! For me getting to know myself for the first time in my life and what made me tick gave me a brand new perception of people, people finally made sense to me and i could see myself in others...result i haven't felt lonely or alone since getting sober...a much better place to be than that feeling of loneliness and disconnection from everyone and everything:-)

It's so cool to be able to focus on the similarities rather than the differences now and there are loads of routes to take that as far as you want...putting down the drink is just the beginning!
Old 06-15-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I realized that I didn't have to be what everybody's else's egos wanted me to be I felt great. But when I decided I didn't have to be what my ego told me I should be, I was free.
The change I went through after I started studying spirituality, ego and gratitude is like describing who you are- impossible to do with words.
I wish there was more talk about ego in recovery.
SH