Notices

Frustrated and tempted

Old 06-14-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Frustrated and tempted

My psychiatrist was supposed to call in a prescription for me today for the drugs that help me sleep and he didn't (he was actually going to call yesterday but didn't because he didn't have the pharmacy number so he said he'd call today) - and now I'm stuck with the fact that I'm going to be awake all night after getting up before 5 this morning (I had a huge proposal/presentation to give today and I needed to prepare). And that's really making me want to drink because I know it'll help me go to sleep - of course, it's really crappy sleep that's not fulfilling but frankly, it's better than no sleep. I'm really on the edge here because 1. I feel forgotten and 2. I'm going to be miserable all night. Ugh. Must. Not. Drink.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe there's something here that can help DG?

Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

D
Old 06-14-2011, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You can rest even if sleep eeludes you .
Knocking yourself out is really not a good idea.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, please do know that you can rest.

It's so annoying when drs don't follow through with something they said they would do, but right now, you need to focus on relaxing.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, guys. I think I'm through the craving part (mostly)...I'm still a little frustrated with my dr but I can call him and address that tomorrow. I will try to rest and maybe do a little yoga/meditation. I practically tore my house apart looking for a rogue Seroquel that escaped me before (I was prescribed Seroquel for insomnia, but it makes me a zombie if I don't sleep it off and I can't always do that - I switched to Zyprexa, but I still took 3+ hours to fall asleep and we were going to try Trazodone but he didn't call in the prescription)...Seroquel is the only thing that has worked for me...no antihistamines, no OTC sleep medications, not ambien or lunesta, benzos, painkillers, home remedies...nothing works...my dr is concerned I have almost treatment-resistant insomnia and I may have to go back on Seroquel if nothing else will work. I can literally take 2 ambien and still be talking to you 2 hours later. I don't drink caffeine or energy drinks. I do all the things I'm supposed to do and I still can't sleep. *deep breath* I keep reminding myself that alcohol will NOT solve this, and I'll end up loathing myself tomorrow (plus probably have a hangover and feel gross).
Old 06-14-2011, 06:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I agree--lie down and close your eyes. Count sheep, or think about something that is mindlessly consuming. Imagine yourself walking, and count steps or something. Your sleep schedule will settle down in a bit.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you do have a drink not only will you have a hangover but your going to be disgusted with yourself. How great will you feel tomorrow morning. Please don't do it.
Tired with Pride is a better choice.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, I slept for about 1.5 hours last night - so I'm cranky today, but I didn't drink (and not hungover!) so I'm letting that carry me through my annoyed mood. Hopefully I can get to talk to my dr and get this straightened out because 2 nights of no sleep is not gonna be ok!
Old 06-15-2011, 10:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe some coffee could help.

Good luck with connecting with your dr.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi DG - I respond to traditional sleep meds exactly the same way as you do - lunesta, ambien -- absolutely nothing works EXCEPT Seroquel, which I haven't had in a long time. I also suffer horrible insomnia and have stayed awake for 3 days at a stretch. But I've found that as long as I DON'T drink, sleep deprivation still feels better than alcohol-induced sleep. Eventually you'll wear yourself out and drop off. Maybe instead of yoga something more vigorous? Or even vigorous yoga like Ashtanga or Bikram?
Old 06-15-2011, 11:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I try not to drink caffeine because it tends to send me spinning...I just kind of have to deal with it. Fortunately, it's a light day at work and I probably get to go home early! I did call my dr back and told the receptionist that it was really important that he called it in today so hopefully that'll do the trick! Thanks for being supportive and getting me through a rough patch! SR is great!
Old 06-15-2011, 11:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi DG-

I'm 18 months sober and I still have problems sleeping.

It turns out I relied a little too much on alcohol for most things in my life

Keep sober no matter what.

Kjell~
Old 06-15-2011, 12:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You did it, you defied gravity!

'As someone told me lately:
"Ev'ryone deserves the chance to fly!"
And if I'm flying solo
At least I'm flying free'
Old 06-15-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I love your name, Elphaba!!!
Old 06-15-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Its SO easy to get frustrated by a lack of sleep, especially if you have something to do the next day. Its good to know that laying down still does rest the body. I hope it works out. I think a sleepy sober will feel better than a drink-given night of rest
Old 06-15-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Woohoo! My doctor called it in...finally! I get to sleep tonight (haha well, assuming it actually works...) but at least the frustration of waiting is gone!