Notices

Has Any Alcoholic relapsed and became a Normal Drinker Again?

Old 06-14-2011, 05:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has Any Alcoholic relapsed and became a Normal Drinker Again?

This question has been on my mind all day. I feel like I want to try to drink again to see if I can control it. But I'm scared as to what would happen after that first drink.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

An alcoholic cannot control his drinking. Period. If he could, he wouldn't be alcoholic.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think everyone tries that Snakes.

I tried to make it happen for 20 solid years.
Not only did I not get 'better' at my drinking...but things got steadily worse.

If we could control our drinking we wouldn't need to try to control it...

D
Old 06-14-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I thought I could, I wished I could but the best thing that happened to me was realizing I can't control it, the only way I can control alcohol is by not drinking it.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dfw

Alright, I'll bite on this.

The National Institute of Health in the U.S. says that a moderate amount of drinking in a sitting is 2 drinks. Spaced out by a few hours. A drink being, a beer, glass of wine, a short mixed drink, or a shot.

This is clinically defined as moderate drinking, but you have to ask yourself, are you capable of staying in these guidelines and never going beyond them, not even once?

If you do decide to drink again, and can't stay within these guidelines, then you're risking your drinking to worsen.

For the record I'm not advocating that you do drink, just providing a medical definition of what is considered moderate drinking.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snakes37 View Post
But I'm scared as to what would happen after that first drink.
Another drink Snakes and another. The feeling of being scared should tell you something.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nope, if you are an alcoholic it's not going to work.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Snakes,

After 7 years without relapse , that same kind of thinking led me to pick up again.

i thought about it for several months and (full of confidence) gave it a go.

Should've known that even drinking NA beer, I was STILL going for the buzz.

Jeeeez, ....the next 5 years were just frustrating. Stopping for a week, a month, a year, having a few, drinking one a night, sometimes 4; occasionlly 10 !?. Do I have a hangover; ....how bad is this hangover ?

Finally threw in the towel, and things got really, really bad the next 9 years.

I wouldn't wish that kind of "progressive" hell on anyone.

Grateful for sobriety everyday,
TS

sober since 4-4-10
Old 06-14-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
This question has been on my mind all day. I feel like I want to try to drink again to see if I can control it. But I'm scared as to what would happen after that first drink.
I don't know your history, or how long you have quit for, but I will say that if you were addicted to the stuff, the chances of getting addicted again if you start up again are much higher than for someone who was never addicted. It doesn't matter if you are/were "an alcoholic" or not. If you were addicted, going back to drinking can easily result in re-addiction.

It is unlikely that there are many "harm reduction" advocates of controlled drinking on here, but I am on some other lists where they do congregate. I've gotten hammered on more than one occasion for my "fanatical" stance on lifetime abstinence for former problem drinkers and those who were once addicted, but I stand by it.

Can some people go back to drinking? Yes - I have seen it. However, the ones that do so successfully usually go back to *very* moderate, and only occasional, drinking. In other words, they might drink once a month, tops.

Again, I don't know your history, but the fact that you are asking if "an alcoholic" can do it, and that you are scared of trying, suggests that your idea of moderate drinking is vastly different from this.

The easiest and safest way to avoid any further problems is by not drinking again at all.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The more often I returned to drinking after my decision to quit....the mental obcession quickly surfaced.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're scared because you know you can't control it.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic. It never gets better, only worse.

Embrace your sobriety and work on recovering. You will find life can be way better without alcohol. Give it time.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Anna View Post
You're scared because you know you can't control it.
I would add that the only people who yearn to control their drinking are those that have already proven that they cannot do so.

People who already control their drinking don't wish they could; only those that can't do.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I tried it, and failed. I'm a much better person, and parent when I'm clean and sober.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thankyou everyone for your responses.
My History, been drinking since 17. Got progressively worse, it got to the point where pretty much every weekend used to be a binge weekend. Never drank everyday, rarely drank alone. Friday, Saturday was my nights. Toss in some thursdays so probably drank 2-3 times a week pretty heavily. Its been 164 days since my last drink. The first period of my life where Ive stopped drinking for longer than a week. I am 23 years old. Sometimes I feel "oh come on snakes, your young, why would you stop partying". It's strange because since I stopped drinking until may long weekend I had no problem being sober, everything was great, I was telling everyone how truly great it was to be sober. Lately my emotions have been very negative because of my sobereity. The temptations are back stronger than ever. WHY?!??!
Old 06-14-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I tried to control my drinking but when I was able to control it, I didn't enjoy it. And when I enjoyed it I wasn't controlling it. It's easier and safer to not drink at all.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Okay Snakes, here's the deal. First round at Alcoholics Anonymous. I went to AA with questions about alcoholism and whether or not I was alcoholic. My pattern was episodic binges/loss of control mixed with moderate drinking and no loss of control.

The old timers told me that if I could drink two drinks every day, no more, no less, for six months and then stop entirely and abruptly, then I wasn't alcoholic. Any more than or less than two drinks a day meant the experiment was over, and I had failed.

At first I was too scared to try the challenge. I decided that if I weren't going to prove the AA folks wrong, then I would accept that they were right. I didn't drink for thirteen years. Then one Christmas eve, I had a glass of wine. Nothing happened. No binge.

I didn't drink again for an entire year. A couple of glasses of wine on New Year's eve. Then I began to drink a couple of times a month at a special occasion or event. Still, nothing happened. But in the back of my mind was my previous AA experience.

I had told myself when I originally declined the alcoholic test or challenge that if I ever wanted to drink again, then I needed to try the AA old timer's challenge and make sure I was really okay to drink. Off I went on a little controlled drinking experiment.

So, for six months every evening after work, I "religiously" measured out two drinks, no more, no less. Then I stopped completely and abruptly, no drinking at all, for three or four months. A part of me was thrilled. A part of me was surprised. I passed the test.

I thus concluded that I wasn't alcoholic. I had made too big of a deal of my graduate school binge drinking experiences. I attributed my past binges to youth and the stress of grad school. I gave up any and all attempts at trying to control my drinking.

It was only when I gave up trying to control my drinking that I came to understand that I had no control. Very quickly, I spiraled into daily drinking. Increasing quantities. Cravings. Obsession. Then daily drinking with weekend binges. Then withdrawal.

Second round at AA. I went back. This time I didn't have a problem saying that I was an alcoholic and I didn't need anyone to define the term "alcoholic" for me either. This time I stuck around for two years and four months. But I then tired of AA and meetings.

I decided that I really didn't need AA to stop drinking and stay stopped drinking. After all, who wants to work a recovery program and go to AA meetings? I would just not drink, problem solved. If I don't drink, I can't get drunk. It made perfect sense to me.

Nine months. One of the worst periods of my life. Plagued by mental obsessions around alcohol and drinking. Constantly on the edge of relapse. Increasing tension, anxiety, irratibility, unhappiness, depression. Absolute misery. Living with untreated alcoholism.

I knew with certainty that I would do one of two things: I would either kill myself or I would drink again. I knew I was headed towards a relapse and that there was nothing I could do to stop it from happening. Not "if" I would drink again, only a matter of "when".

Third round at AA. I went back. This time I was desperate and willing. Anything, I was willing to do anything to not drink, to gain relief from the unrelenting mental obsessions and to gain some semblence of sanity, peace and inner happiness.

My most recent experience: surrender (no reservations), accept powerlessness, fully concede to my innermost self that I am alcoholic, get a sponsor, follow directions, work the steps honestly and thoroughly directly from the Big Book, give myself to the process.

The difference in my life is night and day. This thing (AA's twelve steps) works, it really does. I am a new person inside. I am peaceful, calm, serene. The obsession around alcohol and drinking is gone, vanished. I no longer want to drink anymore. A miracle.

I hadn't intended to write out my lead. The point of it all is that it takes what it takes for us to come to the place where we finally embrace recovery (or continue to drink). I don't know if you can control your drinking, but I think your fear is giving you a message.
Susan
Old 06-14-2011, 07:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

... I feel like I want to try to drink again to see if I can control it.
That's exactly what I thought about 300 times.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

wow, why does alcoholism and being an alcoholic have to be so freakin complicated?!?!??!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

wow, why does alcoholism and being an alcoholic have to be so freakin complicated?!?!??!
It isn't. We complicate it. We cannot handle alcohol. We are quite powerless over it. So, keep it simple -- don't drink. For me, that takes work, but it has been the most amazing journey I have ever experienced and it gets better every day!