Notices

When do the withdrawal symptoms begin?

Old 06-14-2011, 08:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When do the withdrawal symptoms begin?

Hi ,

I have been a heavy beer drinker for about 15 years . Drinking beer every night almost and every day during the weekend.

My doctor said my liver enzymes were twice higher than normal so I decided to lay off the beer for a few months to get my liver back in shape and to curtail my drinking.

I read about alcohol detox and withdrawal symptoms and am wandering when to expect them to begin. I haven't had a drink since June 10th which was 4 days ago and have not experienced any withdrawal symptoms or anything. I feel completely normal?

Does it take a few days before your body starts to show symptoms or am I in the clear?

thanks for any reply
Old 06-14-2011, 08:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes or no. You could have odd feelings in a month or you may not. If you haven't had major difficulties by now chances are you won't be tramatically affected.
I didn't really go through a withdrawal, per se`. I was groggy, feeling weak, tired, crabby, insecure with myself and my life, shameful, guilty...all those feelings rolled into one. But I wasn't stuck in bed sick or shaking. Which was surprising.
I have ever had the shakes and felt really bad...but I'd drink more and it would go away -eventually. I think I was way ready to quit. Took care of myself in the first few days and kept positive it would all be good.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me the shakes begin 8 hours after the last drink. How much beers do you drink a night?
Old 06-14-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think it's different for everyone for me withdrawal began about 5 hours after my last drink and I was very miserable for the first week. If you have 4 sober days in you might have dodged a bullet, consider yourself lucky, alcohol detox is no picnic.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome socco - Wise decision! Worrying about the future of my liver helped motivate me to get sober too - that and a hundred other reasons. I feel so much better today (emotionally and mentally as well as physically).

Most medical sites say that withdrawal starts 6-10 hours after the last drink peaks at 48-72 hours and resolves after 4-5 days. For severely dependent people, however, it gets dangerous (hallucinations, tremors, vomiting, seizures, etc.) and can last for days even weeks. The DT's can show up at 5-7 days.

We can't give medical advice to anyone, but I will say that I've never heard of someone feeling fine (really mild withdrawal) and suddenly developing the DT's. Around here we always tell people to see their doctor anyway (which it sounds like you did) - you just never know what health issues you have until you get checked out.

Glad you decided to join us!
Old 06-14-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bikeguy View Post
I think it's different for everyone for me withdrawal began about 5 hours after my last drink and I was very miserable for the first week. If you have 4 sober days in you might have dodged a bullet, consider yourself lucky, alcohol detox is no picnic.
That's true. I nearly went to the emergency rooom this morning. Withdrawal can be hell. I was calling rehab places this morning; I told them I was on Day 3 and had the shakes. They recommended I go to the ER.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the reply, I was worried so i guess im ok.

I was drinking about a six pack every night an on the weekends i would drink about a 12 pack each day on the weekend. I never drank during the weekdays only at night after work.

Before i quit drinking 4 days ago I went and bought some herbal supplements to help flush and detox my body.

Milk Thistle
Tumeric
Neem
Alpha Lipoic Acid

And I have been drinking like 15 glasses of water every day . I will admit to having a craving for a beer but it's not uncontrollable.

Thanks again.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR. You'll find a lot of support here. I agree that if you've not had problems and are on day four, you likely will be ok.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It sounds to me as though you were drinking about the same amount of ethanol as I was just before I quit. A six pack of 12 oz bottles of 4% beer contains about 3 fl. oz. of alcohol. I was drinking about 750 ml. of wine per day or a bit over 3 fl. oz of alcohol. Since I stopped drinking eight days ago, I have had no specific physical withdrawal symptoms. I do have a bit more trouble sleeping and have a feeling of fatigue and the world seems sort of flat and uninteresting to me right now but, in my experience, these things pass. Frankly, I don't think you were drinking enough alcohol to produce the withdrawal horror stories I have read about here.

I think for me, the issue was less about how much I drank than it was about the way I drank. In my opinion, if one can't pass a day without alcohol if it is available then one has at least "a drinking problem" even though only an ounce or so of alcohol is actually drunk.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Mine was similar to EmeraldRose - a week of tiredness, grouchiness, weary, in fact exhausted - i was drinking 2 bottles wine+ a night.

After the first week it was easier but the tiredness is only just leaving me and it's a month now almost
Old 06-14-2011, 05:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

my first couple of weeks ; all I could think about was flushing my system with water.

Picked up some supplements and seemed to have a craving for grapefruit. Now , apples !?!

Congrats on your sober time !!
Old 06-14-2011, 05:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome socco

Like others have said, there's really no one answer.

If you develop any issues, or feel concerned in any way, it's best to promptly seek professional medical opinion.

D
Old 06-14-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Everyone is different. At the end of my drinking career I got the shakes when I woke up after drinking, so probably after about 8 hours. If I made it to day 2 I was good.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You're probably in the clear so far as withdrawal goes, at this point. Not everyone has withdrawal symptoms that are terribly bothersome. But if you're going to get them, they are usually over within 3-4 days.

It doesn't mean you're "in the clear" so far as other physical damage, though. You want to keep a close watch on those liver enzymes. You might also have some mild brain damage, which is often possible to recover from with continued sobriety (just like a stroke victim can recover function). But it might make you feel "foggy" from time to time. It took about two years before I felt like my mental function was ALMOST what it was before.

Keep taking good care of yourself--eat well, sleep as well as you can (sometimes sleep problems persist for awhile), exercise, drink lots of water. All those things will help you heal physically.

Do you have a plan for STAYING sober? I find AA to be a great way of life.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Best After Date:June 12, 2011

I am in the same boat as you. Day 3 after 4+ years of daily 10+ drinks a day, without fail. Weekends waaay worse. And of course the many years before that in which it was ramping up to what I've been drinking.
I feel off, poor sleep, cranky at times. But for the most part, the feeling better is stronger. I think you and I are VERY lucky for not having bad physical withdrawals. But I think in the long run we need to be extra diligent not to slip because quitting wasn't as bad as we expected. And we still have to deal with the lifestyle changes and challenges thay lie ahead in just staying sober and strong.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
You're probably in the clear so far as withdrawal goes, at this point. Not everyone has withdrawal symptoms that are terribly bothersome. But if you're going to get them, they are usually over within 3-4 days.

It doesn't mean you're "in the clear" so far as other physical damage, though. You want to keep a close watch on those liver enzymes. You might also have some mild brain damage, which is often possible to recover from with continued sobriety (just like a stroke victim can recover function). But it might make you feel "foggy" from time to time. It took about two years before I felt like my mental function was ALMOST what it was before.

Keep taking good care of yourself--eat well, sleep as well as you can (sometimes sleep problems persist for awhile), exercise, drink lots of water. All those things will help you heal physically.

Do you have a plan for STAYING sober? I find AA to be a great way of life.

Thanks for your advice . I appreciate it. I don't really think I need AA or have time for it with my schedule. Plus I have a few problems with AA's core philosophy.

For one I cannot believe in a God or Higher Power other than the defacto higher power of the government.

Secondly , I can't imagine calling up all the ass holes that ever EFFED me over in life and apologize to them. If anything those Assholes need to apologize to me.

But other than those two things I guess AA is alright.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Heh,

Well, if you ever decide that sobriety sucks, AA is a great way for life to get better. I think you misunderstand some of the basic premises, but see how it goes. Some people do just fine without it.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good luck...you seem to have alot figured out already.

I have a question. I'm 8 days into withdraw and I'm having some major swollen glands issues with my throat. Does anyone think it could be alcohol related? It just started 3 days ago and I rarely if ever have sore throats in the summer. Thanks...
Old 06-15-2011, 07:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by socco View Post
Hi ,

I have been a heavy beer drinker for about 15 years . Drinking beer every night almost and every day during the weekend.

My doctor said my liver enzymes were twice higher than normal so I decided to lay off the beer for a few months to get my liver back in shape and to curtail my drinking.

I read about alcohol detox and withdrawal symptoms and am wandering when to expect them to begin. I haven't had a drink since June 10th which was 4 days ago and have not experienced any withdrawal symptoms or anything. I feel completely normal?

Does it take a few days before your body starts to show symptoms or am I in the clear?

thanks for any reply
Consider yourself lucky. Mine was day one of not drinking. My withdraws sent me to the hospital. The first time I quit 10 years ago, I didn't have bad withdraws. I was only a little edgy. But the more times you quit, the more dangerous and worse it gets. I worked in a hospital and saw people that went through withdraws after 5 days. Hallucinations, shakes, etc. It differs with everyone. My advice is that if things start getting bad, call your doctor and get some help. Good luck to you. Hope you decide to quit for good. Your doctor telling you to lay off for only a month was bad advice IMO.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lpnangel View Post
Consider yourself lucky. Mine was day one of not drinking. My withdraws sent me to the hospital. The first time I quit 10 years ago, I didn't have bad withdraws. I was only a little edgy. But the more times you quit, the more dangerous and worse it gets. I worked in a hospital and saw people that went through withdraws after 5 days. Hallucinations, shakes, etc. It differs with everyone. My advice is that if things start getting bad, call your doctor and get some help. Good luck to you. Hope you decide to quit for good. Your doctor telling you to lay off for only a month was bad advice IMO.
No my doctor just told me that my enzymes would go down if I quit drinking so much or stopped completely.

I was planning on quitting drinking beer for a few months just to let my liver heal and to curtail any dependancy that I may have. The only negative here for me is the liver enzymes other than that drinking beer has no real negative effect on my life because like i said I never drank before work or never let it get in the way of other more important things. I only drank beer in the evenings and the weekends because I enjoyed it. But if after a few months goes by we shall see.