SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Sick of the cycle (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/229250-sick-cycle.html)

sobersalvation 06-13-2011 07:46 AM

Sick of the cycle

Hello all,

27 year old single healthy male here. I'm generally a pretty healthy person. I workout regularly, eat well, and generally take good care of myself.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy drinking and having a good time but...
I've got problems with drinking. I usually don't drink during the week, but when the weekends hit, I completely destroy myself. Most my friends like to drink and party all night. I finally reached a point where I am going to have to draw a line. I HAVE HAD ENOUGH!

Getting trashed every weekend has honestly lost its appeal. I mean, there is no way I want to look back at all of this and realize ALL I did was just get wasted. I mean, all that time and money, quite honestly, was pissed away. Sitting in a dingy bar until 4am? Dude, its pathetic! AND FOR WHAT?!

Every week I workout hard in the gym, only to totally ruin myself later. I could be in seriously great shape. But its like starting over every monday.
I'm seriously killing myself here.

The hangovers have become unbearable. The self hatred, loathing, and absolute INSANE thoughts and behavior. There has to be a better life out there without all this boozing. I have got to slow down.

I need some advice on how to handle some of my friends when I go out.

(eventually I'd like to tell my story on here, but I needed to vent!)

Anna 06-14-2011 01:36 PM

Hi and Welcome,

I moved your thread to Newcomers so you could get a proper welcome.

It sounds like you're ready to stop drinking and begin to recover.

nandm 06-14-2011 01:45 PM

:welcome to SR.

You are in the right place if you are ready to find support in your attempt to stop drinking.

Zencat 06-14-2011 02:43 PM

Welcome and congrats on taking your life in a heather direction.

Hollyanne 06-14-2011 02:47 PM

Welcome.
If you stop now, you can save $6,657,675,876.
I did the math!:welcome

Dee74 06-14-2011 02:49 PM

Welcome sobersalvation :)

I was in the much the same position as you. I tried to be a non drinker but live my old drinking life - same friends same haunts...

That didn't work out so well for me, I'm afraid.

The only way I found to stop drinking and stay off the drink was to make some pretty big changes in my life.

4 years on, I don't regret it :)

you'll find a lot of support here - welcome! :)

D

Bikeguy 06-14-2011 02:50 PM

I thought it would be difficult around my friends too and found out if they are true friends they could care less if you drink or not. Try it, just decline the alcohol and select something else to drink. You true friends will value your companionship not your drinking. I made it much more difficult in my head than it actually was.

least 06-14-2011 03:07 PM

Welcome to SR.:)

Zebra1275 06-14-2011 03:10 PM

Welcome, stick around and keep reading. It will help a lot.

Happier 06-14-2011 04:03 PM

Welcome and congratulations on your decision. It sounds to me like you have a lot of good thoughts, goals, and comments. It truly is insane to binge every weekend when it can lead to so much sadness, grief, and health consequences. I did the same thing for years. Then it turned into drinking during the week then drinking more days than not....
I'm not qualified to offer advice but might toss out the idea of totally quitting rather than "slowing down". That is the only way to truly ensure that it doesn't become a larger problem and there will be no time easier than it is today.
Well, anyway..I type/talk too much. Just want you to know your not alone and you are always welcome here.

Reed22 06-14-2011 04:13 PM

Welcome sober,

I can empathize with you... I am 29 and "the cycle" is what I've been battling for a while now.

Best of luck to you and SR is a great place for support/ help/ or just venting!