Notices

Stumbled

Old 06-12-2011, 10:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stumbled

Well, I went 5 days, even made it past the dreaded Friday...

Then on Saturday I drank. My wife suggested we go out for a drink, she doesnt' know of my problem, other than to have noticed that I drink too much sometimes.

I had 2 beers while out with her and then another 5 or 6 drinks without her knowing. Then today I went out and met a friend. Had a good 7 beers with him.

I sit here and type this now and feel like dirt. I haven't had a beer for several hours now, but I just feel like I hit a giant reset button. I feel like I will be sluggish tomorrow and then will go through the next few days gathering my mental strength together, and by the time I feel like I am making progress I will drink again...

Grrr.... just having a rough time at the moment and felt like I needed to post. I already feel better and while I may have lost a battle, the war is far from over.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry to hear that Reed.
Many of us have a false start or two

I had 2 beers while out with her and then another 5 or 6 drinks without her knowing
Do you think it's time you came clean to your wife at least, Reed?
Just my opinion, but it's hard enough trying to get sober without also trying to keep a secret as well, I think.

What was your support this time?
What do you think you can add this time to make things work?

D
Old 06-12-2011, 10:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Reed 22

Im sorry for your stumble! Remember many people on this site relapsed many of times on their way to recovery. I have relapsed numerous times and have realised I need to do something different to make it work this time! Have you thought of telling you wife you think you have a problem? Wouldn't she be supportive?
Old 06-12-2011, 10:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hehe, seems like I have one every week. But I suppose it is a process. I have moved from a place where I didn't think I had a problem to a place where I know I do and I am in a battle each week.

The thing is, I am not a raging drunk, or a troublemaker, or particularly hurtful when I drink.

Instead it saps me. It takes from me my very essence it seems. The energy and confidence that I have after a week of not drinking is like the promised land. But even one beer is like a posion that seeps into every facet of my being, even if I am not acting pursuant to the alcohol.

It's just maddening. WHY CANT I JUST HAVE ONE OR TWO AND BE LIKE A NORMAL PERSON!?

I guess its because I'm NOT a "normal" person. I am an alcoholic, and just one beer takes me to a place where I don't have to care about things, to a sanctuary that is totally and utterly false.

tomorrow I start again...
Old 06-12-2011, 10:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cairns87:

I have thought about telling her... I suppose it is a part of my shame that I don't. My fear is that she'll hold me to actually not drinking, and I don't know about that yet. It makes me mad at myself that I don't do that, but there is such fear in that level of commitment...
Old 06-13-2011, 12:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

My wife knows I have an "issue" . don't feel the need to engage her in the "alcoholic -disease debate"- it's a distraction.For her it is not as big an issue as it is for me. She sees my blowouts as being separate from the rest of it. Even though she does not "understand" but she helps me out- I am training her not to "enable" me. Whist our current arrangement is not "normal" it is working for the better. As one example my wife will now never offer me a drink, if she is going to have one at home. If we go out, and drinks will be on offer I am the driver, as I will not drink and drive (unless it is the morning after !!!).
Old 06-13-2011, 12:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Seems like you have two competing dialogues going on in your head Redd - like most of us.

You know it's bad...

Instead it saps me. It takes from me my very essence it seems. The energy and confidence that I have after a week of not drinking is like the promised land. But even one beer is like a posion that seeps into every facet of my being, even if I am not acting pursuant to the alcohol.
I guess its because I'm NOT a "normal" person. I am an alcoholic, and just one beer takes me to a place where I don't have to care about things, to a sanctuary that is totally and utterly false.
but you can't let it go.

I have thought about telling her... I suppose it is a part of my shame that I don't. My fear is that she'll hold me to actually not drinking, and I don't know about that yet. It makes me mad at myself that I don't do that, but there is such fear in that level of commitment...
I feel like I will be sluggish tomorrow and then will go through the next few days gathering my mental strength together, and by the time I feel like I am making progress I will drink again...
It's just maddening. WHY CANT I JUST HAVE ONE OR TWO AND BE LIKE A NORMAL PERSON!?
I'd encourage you to think more about the former group of thoughts than the latter.

Noone wants to be 'that guy' but it is what it is - the sooner we face up to that fact and accept what we are, I promise you the better things will be for you

The longer you prevaricate tho? Things can and do get worse, Reed.

D
Old 06-13-2011, 03:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I agree with Dee. I don't see how you are going to deal with this in a successful way and keep it a secret from your wife.

And, in a weird way (not judging--we are all weird this way) you are allowing her to be your excuse to keep drinking (she might "hold you to it"). You can continue to blame your drinking on her inviting you out for a drink.

Either you're serious about this or you're not. Sounds to me as if you are sort of wishily-washily musing that it would be a good idea to quit drinking. When you are serious, you will do what needs to be done.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Reed. Yes I can totally relate to not being able to tell her. I am not in a relationship at present but I could not tell my family yet as they would not understand. They do not know how much I have poisined myself with alcahol. Maybe if im lucky enough to get a bit of sobriety up my sleave people will slowly notice that I mean business when I said I have given up. So maybe she doesn't need to know you think your an alcaholic. Maybe just tell her you don't like the way alcahol makes you feel and you would rather be healthier?

What do you think?

Cairns
Old 06-13-2011, 03:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was impressed by you realisng you have a problem. When I was in those early stages of drinking, how shall I put it nicely, er, privately, I was not honest with myself in allowing me to even think I had a problem. I just did it. And what followed was years of lying to myself to the point that I really believed it. 'If no one knows you are doing it then you aren't.' I totally faked my way through things. And largely got away with it. But in my life and it took years -- that I will never get back-- that 'private' drinking took over. I didn't have to 'fess up to my husband about it or childdren either as it became very very apparent as I could no longer function in my role as wife and mother.
But there was another problem which combined with the drinking made my life unbearable. It was only a year and a half ago that I told my husband about it and telling him was huge as bring this out into th eopen meant I had to either deal with it or get really cunning. I told him that I am bulimic as well. Poor man. I wan't ready to get over the eating disorder but it put him into hyper-vigilance about that too. Okay this is long and way too drawn out but in hindsight, as I love my husband, telling him was for me the right thing to do as bringing a problem into the open helps the problem-person. However if that problem-person is not ready to take it seriously and deal with it, it adds so much stress and perceived responsibility to their partner. I my case I believe I used my husband in two ways: one, to make him sorry for me, all that I had to go through; and two, to get him involved and make him help me. The truth is, for me anyway, I am a tough nut (again putting it very politely) and the only one who can help me is ME.
Clearly by your post you are introspective and that will stand you in great stead for the journey you are embarking upon. I truly wish I had been in my earlier years. Good luck
Old 06-13-2011, 04:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Reed22 View Post
My fear is that she'll hold me to actually not drinking, and I don't know about that yet. ...
For me, I had to fully decide that drinking was no longer an option, before my mind started working in different and healthy ways.

I'm glad you're back and working on recovery again, Reed.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Programmaddict

Secrets keep me sick. Rigorous honesty keeps me in recovery.

WHY CANT I JUST HAVE ONE OR TWO AND BE LIKE A NORMAL PERSON!?
This is the great obsession of every chemical dependent. This specific obsession used to alienate me. Now it serves a reminder that normal is a setting on a clothes dryer and that I have access to literally thousands of people just like me. I'm just a different variety of normal.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Insanity

If it helps, think about that cliched definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome. For me, I had to keep trying new things until I finally found what worked for me (AA meetings, btw). I tried controlled drinking, and it didn't work. I tried just on the weekends, just one or two each night, etc. I tried gritting my teeth and just not drinking and could get a few weeks under my belt. I even tried online programs like this one, which is a nice supplement for me but not enough (it is for some, though, I know).

It is good that you realize you have a problem, and it is amazing that you are looking for help and exploring your options. Try bringing your wife into the discussion. One of the greatest outcomes of my sobriety has been a newly honest and fun relationship with my husband. Not perfect by any means, but so, so much better than what we had.

Good luck!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Reed - don't beat yourself up over this - your physical feeling is enough punishment. We are not perfect. Don't let it get you in a bad rut - just accept it and start over. Today's a new day.

My husband does not know the extent of what my drinking has been either, why don't you just say it's for your health? I agree with Instant - Right now I'm vulnerable enough (day 9 and feeling a little nervous) and I am not ready to have the heavy deep conversation of the extent of my drinking and my final plans for the rest of eternity. The conversation will come but for now I'm just adjusting to not drinking and starting a new lifestyle and being stable and comfortable with it.

And chiming along again with Instant - my husband has had wine and beer while I have had water or diet coke, both out and at home. He's now gone for the week again on business so this week will be another one of will. Spending lots of time being busy and distracted!!

I decided to go on a health kick - I bought a 14-day cleanse from a vitamin shoppe and you are not allowed to drink on it. It has made it easy to not have to get heavy as to why I am not enjoying drinks anymore with him. And coupled with SR - it keeps me accountable, not to mention feeling sooo much better.

You did the most important thing by taking the first step. Just because you stumbled doesn't mean you can't do it. There lots of us newbies here - we're all in it together!!!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Give her reasons she can relate to, if you're not ready to tell her you have a big problem with it. You're taking a break.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank to everyone here! It feels so good to have support and to be able to share my struggles.

In complete candor, I know why I don't tell my wife: because a few days later I'll want a beer and she will remind me that I don't want to drink. But by then I've kind of submitted mentally to drinking that day and it just makes me feel ashamed.

But it is this block that I have to get over... I can't be only 50% committed, not when I have a 100% problem!

Well, this is day 1 again, but I think I will have a discussion with my wife tonight, she is my best friend as well as my partner in life and I know she will be supportive. I won't let my own fear and shame hold me back! Even if I position it as wanting to be "healthier" or to shed a few pounds, at least I will have taken the very important step of sharing this with the most supportive person in my life.

THanks SR!
Old 06-13-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

My nickname was Mcrelapser until I got some serious help