Notices

I'm back

Old 06-12-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm back

Hello All,

I am back here for support after 4 years of trying to pretend I could "do this" alone. I've had my good months, long stretches at a time, and I've had a few binges. One too many. I'm ready for sober living. Always have been, but I know I need support of those who know what it is like to have this disease. I look forward to connecting here and making some true friends. Love and Light,

mama
Old 06-12-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back Mamasanta! I'm happy to hear your ready to try again. Do you have a plan in place this time? I know, pretending I could stop on my own, never worked for me either.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 06-12-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back to SR...
Old 06-12-2011, 10:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am back as well Mamasanta,

I want sobriety more than anything, let's beat it. I am done with binges and know I cannot moderate. I have had long stretches as well, but honestly feel the grips of this disease really taking hold. Breaking free and feeling strong. I am joining you in this journey.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome back mamaS and itsMT!

I was always independent, never entered a fight or challenge that I could not finish, and in my own way, for a win win. In middle age I stepped over a line and became alcohol dependent. It became bad in the last year from a health and functional perspective. That was just last year.

I made a pledge to quit every day. I stayed home and became almost a hermit so I wouldn't have to drive and get a DUI. I denied I had a problem to myself and my family, and when My doctor mentioned it I was OK with it and even joked that a doctor's definition of an alcoholic is anyone who drank more than him.

21 September 2010 I had had enough. I no longer cared about my reputation, or the secrecy of keeping it from getting out. No I am not a public soapboxer at all. Almost a year before I quit I decided that I was an alcoholic and kept over and over trying to do the same things over and over that never worked before. I checked myself into the VA for a detox of seven days with a follow up live-in rehab. See I was drinking from my first cup of coffee with scotch, and all day by then, doing the same things over and over that didn't work before. I would not put a shot in my first coffee and then celebrate my moment of sobriety with a shot in my second cup.

I used SR, my Doc, the VA, even AA for my first three months weekly, and made it all the way back. Life is more boring now. I am in the slow lane. However I call it serene not boring, and time to read and do projects I have been meaning to do but never got "A Round Tuit" for while drinking ETOH. I feel like I have gotten my driver license for the first time again, as I can now go anywhere anytime I want to without risking my life and limb and property as well as that of others! Freedom!

"Dependent people need others to get what they want. Independent people can get what they want through their own efforts. Interdependent people combine their own efforts with the efforts of others to achieve their greatest success." -- Stephen Covey

I learned to be interdependent with this challenge.

I hope y'all do things differently this time and use local support, which can be counseling, rehab, your doc, AA or any combination that will work for you, as well as SR, and make it through to the serenity of sobriety I have found. The combination that works for each is different. Find your recovery plan that works, whatever it takes.

The one thing that is exactly the same for all of us is that when we think we can do it alone, or keep doing the same things we did in the past with the same limitations we placed on ourselves before, it is insane to expect different results.

Join us.
:ghug3
Old 06-12-2011, 11:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Mamasanta

I have had long stretches as well. However, this time, I am ready to live the rest of my life sober. Join me :ghug3
Old 06-12-2011, 11:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back. Agree with the others, I couldn't do this without a recovery plan and living that plan. I hope you have one or some ideas of what you will do differently this time.

Best to you!
Old 06-12-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back mamasanta

D