Notices

Does sobriety get easier?

Old 06-10-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Barbiedoll11 View Post
...I just wanted to know if not drinking gets easier
In my case, time away from my last drink only made it worse. My suffering started where the bottle ended.

When I had a Spiritual Awakening as the result of action, not time, the obsession was lifted from me like I had brain surgery. I would go as far as to say that staying sober today is almost effortless. I stay spiritually fit one-day-at-a-time and thoughts of drinking stay out of my universe.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:07 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Some days are better than others

I was in the same boat, drinking every weekend, doing blow on occasion, and getting all sorts of messed up staying out until 4 or 5 in the morning

Everyone I know drinks as well. I think we both need to learn to have fun without needing the alcohol. That's something I'm surrently struggling with but it is def possible. Just last week I had a great time with some friends while I watched them all smoke a blunt lol. Give it time, this stuff doesn't happen over night

Good luck!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I am feeling strange around people because I feel like the odd man out. Then again I stopped abruptly/cold turkey and only very few ppl know why that is. I haven't told some of my friends or even my boyfriend why I stopped. Everyone is supportive yet shocked LOL I used to be the nutcase. Now I am
the designated driver. And it happened over night. How do you explain the sudden change of heart to those close to you ? Or do you say anything at all,?
Old 06-11-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Jil

I feel like we're the same person. I used to drink a few nights a week, definitely on the weekend, and would almost always black out. I also would hook up with guys, and regret it terribly the next day. I am also young, 21, so I understand the difficulty of looking at all your friends who are able to drink socially and feeling resentment towards them. But all my blackouts and extreme drinking led me to become sober. I'll tell you this- it gets much easier to abstain, although out of the blue there will be a time where I desire to drink.
Last night I went to a dance recital, and had probably the most fun I have had in a long time. It's hard right now to get out and do things that don't revolve around alcohol- it took me up until about this point (105 days sober) to enjoy going out. I would advise you to try to go to bars/dancing less, and instead do other things with friends where the main purpose isn't alcohol. It seems difficult because like me, you probably got so used to going out and drinking as the main, if not only, thing you did for a good time. But after last night I felt on top of the world, and finally felt like I can have that same feeling of joy that alcohol brought me without the regret, embarrassing behaviour, hangover, etc. I promise you it will get better. I have yet to check out AA and I'm doing well, although I know I will need to attend some meetings. Good luck, I believe in you, stay strong.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

It definitely gets easier. Every day got better little by little so stick by it. Whether it is AA or whatever you choose read stuff every day dealing with recovery, read this forum, listed to podcasts etc. Just make this the number on focus of your life for the time being. Great job on two weeks
Old 06-11-2011, 10:52 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Barbiedoll11 View Post
How do you explain the sudden change of heart to those close to you ? Or do you say anything at all,?
Totally up to you I suppose. Maybe when the time is right as it sounds like you're still early in sobriety. I've told most of the people in my life so they would understand a bit more of where I am coming from. I was a bit surprised by everyone's positive reaction & support

Cheers
Old 11-21-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

sobriety is hard, just as life is hard. If you are a runner, or do yoga, or any activity it is the same...it is always hard, but it gets easier to accept it. And just like a long run, you are proud of yourself at the end and healthier
Old 11-21-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by instant View Post
I am not in AA. It may help if you check out "rational recovery" and SMART.

Alcohol is a freeloader that destroys progressively. Alcohol has been my main fun adviser, and party planner for many years. Alcohol is also adept at getting into every aspect of your soul. It's a powerful addiction. You can have fun without alcohol but it can be a lonely road................with a lot of pain and doubt..... and alcohol will whisper to you, compliment you, reassure you and make it all better..............for a while.

You are brave for posting. What ever you decide keep coming back- even if it is to tell us we've got it wrong. Take care BD11
I know this is an old post, but thank you. This really was something I needed to hear today.