SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Introducing myself (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/228991-introducing-myself.html)

sonrisa 06-09-2011 06:17 PM

Introducing myself

Hi. Just a quick post to introduce myself. I'm 26 and have struggled with alcoholism for 5 years I guess? As soon as I became of age to buy it, I began using it to cope with life stress, loneliness, depression, anxiety, rejection, anything that made me unhappy.. I have had many low moments but the most recent occurred last weekend. On Sunday I reached a point where I was so consumed with anxiety and shame over the way I'd been living my life that I could no longer bear it. I prayed to god for help for the first time in my adult life. The actual events of the weekend are not all that interesting or shocking, but it had just been one thing after another after another for a while. I am between jobs right now. I have such severe social anxiety that I haven't been able to hold on to a job in what I went to school for (its in the medical field) and I don't have anyone willing to offer support so I am on unemployment. I have a hard time keeping myself busy because of that. While I do realize I need AA I am not ready to go to meetings.. This is my fifth consecutive day without alcohol. The longest I've ever gone is a week. This time around I'm just taking it day by day and doing whatever I can to improve my life. Enough for now, just wanted to give an idea of who I am before I start posting in topics or asking specific questions (I have a lot)

least 06-09-2011 06:21 PM

Welcome to the family.:) Sobriety is not always an easy journey but it's so worth it. I got sober for good a year and a half ago and am enjoying myself more than I'd thought possible. I still have the same ol' problems but I handle them much better.

I'm glad you found us. There's a lot of support and good info here. I hope we can help you as much as this site has helped me.:hug:

Happier 06-09-2011 06:22 PM

Welcome. I am glad you are here. There are a lot of good people here with a lot of experience and wisdom. I'll quit typing now and let some of them chime in!

Anna 06-09-2011 06:26 PM

Welcome Sonrisa,

I'm so glad you found us and that you have decided to live a sober life.

You'll find lots of support here.

becoming 06-09-2011 06:34 PM

Great to meet you sonrisa, welcome! I am 29 and also suffer from depression/anxiety. not so much social anxiety though. i started using drugs/alcohol to cope/escape/catch a buzz in my early teens, but cut the drugs out when i was about 20. drank pretty regular since then up until a little over 3 months ago. i never thought i would be able to give up drinking. but i just had enough and i have no regrets about letting it go. life is a lot better since. best of luck to you!!

nandm 06-09-2011 06:40 PM

:welcome to SR. Glad you are here.

recoverywfaith 06-09-2011 07:03 PM

:welcome Glad you are here.

Dee74 06-09-2011 07:07 PM

again, welcome to you sonrisa :)

D

Opivotal 06-09-2011 07:10 PM

:welcome Sonrisa ! Happy you decided to join us here at SR. You will find a lot of answers here. I sure did.

Best Wishes To You!

Zebra1275 06-09-2011 07:12 PM

Welcome, glad you could join us!

Latte 06-09-2011 07:15 PM

Welcome. I'm glad you are here.

Manz 06-09-2011 08:30 PM

Welcome Sonrisa... you will find loads of support here. :)

sonrisa 06-09-2011 08:50 PM

Thank you guys :)

artsoul 06-09-2011 09:05 PM

Glad you're here! A lot of us have self-medicated for things like anxiety, depression, etc...... so you're not alone. The crazy thing is that alcohol can cause the very things we're using it for......:headbange

I found that my anxiety really decreased after getting sober (I did have to see someone about the depression though). Things really do get better, so hang in there. I still take things one day at a time - it works for me!:c031:

sonrisa 06-09-2011 09:13 PM

The anxiety, which had increased to the point that for 4 days I had near constant symptoms - heart palpitations, headache, nausea - has gone away since I eliminated drinking and started avoided the people and places where I would drink. I used to go salsa dancing almost every night. I started doing so to get over social anxiety. In the end that only increased it and I was all the more compelled to drink. Some of them are beginning to wonder why the hell I'm not coming out anymore!

EmeraldRose 06-09-2011 09:19 PM

Welcome sonrisa.

sonrisa 06-10-2011 08:35 AM

Going on vacation with mom this weekend. She and her friends with probably drink a bunch of rum drinks and wine coolers. I was a beer and wine person. I think I'll be alright telling her I'm just taking a break from drinking. Anything deeper than that and I risk making it an unfun weekend. I'm going to get away and relax and to spend time with her. I won't have internet or cell so I plan to get lots of exercise and sun and read a ton. :) Positive thoughts please... I will go home if I feel like I need to.

woowaa 06-10-2011 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by sonrisa (Post 2995913)
Going on vacation with mom this weekend. She and her friends with probably drink a bunch of rum drinks and wine coolers. I was a beer and wine person. I think I'll be alright telling her I'm just taking a break from drinking. Anything deeper than that and I risk making it an unfun weekend. I'm going to get away and relax and to spend time with her. I won't have internet or cell so I plan to get lots of exercise and sun and read a ton. :) Positive thoughts please... I will go home if I feel like I need to.

I hope you enjoy your break, have a nice time in the sun relaxing, sober ;-)

opmloser 06-10-2011 09:14 AM

Hello!

I had to say hi as well and am very glad you're here. As for employment, first things first, take care of you and the rest will get easier with time.
You're not alone in this, believe me.
Why not check out AA? You might find some great people there.
Getting sober is the easy part; staying sober is a bit tougher and AA can provide you with the "tools" you'll need.
Godspeed to you!

Pigtails 06-10-2011 10:04 AM

Welcome, Sonrisa. (That means smile, right? :))