Notices

drug rehab confidentiality?

Old 06-08-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

drug rehab confidentiality?

So my friend is having a bit of a issue with pills (methadone) and wants to do a outpatient rehab program. She does not think she can stop on her own. Problem is she has a child and sole custody. Anyone know what kind of confidentiality laws there are concerning this? From what Ive gathered treatment centers are legally obligated to take action if anyone under 18 are abused, abandoned, or neglected by a parent/guardian. But what does that entail exactly? Do they consider her just having the problem in the first place neglect?

She could really use the help but unfortunately she won't take it if there is a chance of anything being reported or anyone being able to find out. On top of her being worried about her own child she could probably loose her job also since she works with kids for the state. Basically if she is going to do this no one can know. Anyone know if you could do this anonymously? Or would it be possible to do this under a false name? I'm wondering if you might be able to register into a program without giving your real info.

Hopefully someone on here knows more about this, I really want her to get the help but these are the questions I feel I can't ask the treatment centers.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Welcome!

I wonder why your friend is not asking these questions here for herself? It might indicate that she is not ready to do whatever it takes to stop using drugs.

It would probably be best to ask a lawyer about these issues.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mostly because she is scared. She really does want this, Ive already been helping her for months. We even keep all her paychecks in my bank so I know where all her money is going and she can't do anything stupid. She has been slowly weaning herself off methadone and is now just taking hydrocodone's to help with the sickness/pain. She is the one that came to me about rehab, she is just very scared about how it could possibly affect her family/job.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is a tough one... Since she works for the state and all... Absolutely positively contact a lawyer or legal expert...

Is she licensed?
Old 06-08-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Agree with Mark & Anna on this one, you need a lawyer's opinion. And she probably isn't ready if you're coming here for her.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with contacting a lawyer.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know that most rehabs are pretty much confidential BUT that's not to say that her information could not be given to the state authorities. I was told that if a relative or ex, etc. called up they could not give info out BUT that is not to say that the state couldn't subpoena the information to their benefit. I'd be very careful if so much is at stake -and I wonder why you say 'you really want her to get help'....does she?