SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   hi there (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/228840-hi-there.html)

smithnd0 06-07-2011 02:04 PM

hi there

hi there. I'm new and I don't exactly know what I'm doing, but some looking around will help :duck:
I've tried to get sober before but I think I've hit bottom. I spent the day shaking and puking, but it's the first time in months I have not had a drink to cure the shakes.
I'm a little nervous but looking forward to joining the community.

instant 06-07-2011 02:11 PM

welcome to the community- whats your withdrawal plan ?

Anna 06-07-2011 02:12 PM

Welcome!

It's normal to be nervous at this point, but as you will see, many of us are recovering and living our lives. You can do that too.

least 06-07-2011 02:21 PM

Welcome to the family.:) You'll find a lot of support and useful information here.

Dee74 06-07-2011 02:53 PM

Welcome smithnd0 :)

You'll find a lot of support here.

Have you seen a Dr? I think it's always a good idea :)
D

Opivotal 06-07-2011 05:47 PM

Welcome smithnd! I'm sorry to hear you feeling so badly. Maybe a visit to your Doctor will alleviate some of your symptoms.

:welcome

Best Wishes To You!

saphira 06-07-2011 05:52 PM

Welcome!! I was very nervous too-- terrified is more like it. There is so much support on this site though... you'll be amazed. :)

soberjohndoe 06-07-2011 06:00 PM

Welcome to SR, i found this site under similar circumstances as well.

coffeenut 06-07-2011 07:38 PM

Welcome!

EmeraldRose 06-07-2011 07:50 PM

Welcome. :welcome

citylights 06-07-2011 09:54 PM

Welcome Smith. I found a visit to my doctor really helped with the withdrawal symptoms and made me feel more safe, Let us know how you're doing.

ajangel 06-08-2011 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by smithnd0 (Post 2993009)
hi there. I'm new and I don't exactly know what I'm doing, but some looking around will help :duck:
I've tried to get sober before but I think I've hit bottom. I spent the day shaking and puking, but it's the first time in months I have not had a drink to cure the shakes.
I'm a little nervous but looking forward to joining the community.

Welcome. You have come to the right place. Everyone here is very helpful. Congratulations on deciding to take that first step. It is going to be hard and a bit scary but you can do it. First and foremost, if you can, avoid doing this without medical attention. I finally went to my doctor and he prescribed me a low dose benzodiazepine. This was the only thing that got me through the tremendous withdraws. It may not be right for you, but your doctor can help you go in the right direction. I was embarrassed to say anything to him but was very pleased by his encouragement and compassion. It takes a lot of courage to admit you have a problem and ask for help. Keep coming to this site. It is a great source of strength and encouragement. :welcome

smithnd0 06-08-2011 06:03 AM

thank you so much for all the support. i'm so surprised to have all these replies it makes me want to cry :) i am going to try and get to my doctor to see me today. i didn't expect to feel so badly. thanks for the advice

smithnd0 06-08-2011 06:08 AM

i think after seeing my doc I will get a referral to some alcohol counseling. im not sure about joining AA. what do you all think?

Opivotal 06-08-2011 07:24 AM

I think its a great idea smith! I'm happy to hear your going to visit your Doctor. Let us know how you make out. Whatever support system you choose is a plus IMO.

:You_Rock_

Best Wishes To You!

1undone 06-08-2011 07:42 AM

Smith - welcome! AA can be a scary thought for us newbies and I bet you probably have some ideas about it that aren't true. I went and was scard outta my mind but that was quickly gone when people saw I was new and pretty freaked out at the reality that I was an alcohoic. I was freaked - 1. about the physcial symptoms of withdrawl and 2. about what to expect from AA.

I am so so new still, I have 30 days coming up but I'm not thrilled about being an alcoholic. But then who is? I just want you to know that the people here and in the AA rooms are all about helping you. :)

ajangel 06-08-2011 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by smithnd0 (Post 2993659)
i think after seeing my doc I will get a referral to some alcohol counseling. im not sure about joining AA. what do you all think?

I am 35 days today. I am not going to AA but it's a personal choice. A lot find great success with it so you should give it a try if you are considering it.

Zebra1275 06-08-2011 09:25 AM

I would encourage you to join AA. I have found that with many treatment programs when your money runs out or the insurance stops paying, they refer you on to AA. I just decided to save myself some money and skip ahead to AA. I've never regretted that decision.

Latte 06-08-2011 09:31 AM

Welcome. I'm glad you are here.