SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   one week sober! - first weekly entry (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/228821-one-week-sober-first-weekly-entry.html)

nodl5 06-07-2011 08:24 AM

one week sober! - first weekly entry

it is day 8, so that means ONE WEEK SOBER! i had posted in my 'day 7' thread, my journal type threads will now go weekly. then hopefully monthly. but i don't want to get a head of myself.

day 7 proved to be the hardest yet, yet i felt better at moments than i have in a while. so i suppose that when i feel like i am going to vibrate slam out of my skin that in about about an hour to 90 minutes i'll feel right as rain again. this cycle happened several times yesterday. some to the point where i though i might go crazy.

yesterday i almost checked myself into the hospital. i mean 33 years of drinking and then BAM no booze. sort of tough here.

i am now reading Chapter 5, "How It Works" in the AA big book. i started with The Doctor's Opinion. It's short and revealed to me that people can in fact obtain sobriety through mental processes and shared experiences.

it is getting close to my noon AA meeting, my favorite, and i am sort of feeling like i did yesterday the good part, even though i have not felt tired yet. so i hope the day continues with this energy even though it is only a mild energy, but i am not dragging. i mean at some point i should feel better, one would think.

i'll post my next journal entry next week. i have enjoyed reading all feedback from the three daily ones i posted. i have also been commenting on other threads, but just a little, since i am so new.

i use this forum to share, to better understand my disease, to not feel so alone, for hope in recovery, since i see it has worked for others and yes i am selfish, so i can feel better about myself. because if i keep going around dragging past negative crap behind me, it am not going to get to the point that i can address what the hell it is that i am dragging around me.

my goal for next week's journal is to understand a 4 step and how to go about it.

thanks for letting me share.

--nodl5

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

itsaboutime 06-07-2011 12:16 PM

Congrats nodl5.

I'm feeling great at the moment - although it's the weekends that I find tough. During the week is never a problem for me unless it's spillover from the weekend and I haven't drank in over a week.

I'm pretty tired but that's mainly because I've got into a routine of going to the gym before work. I may consider switching that to evenings at some point if I don't find myself getting used to the new routine - at the moment, I think I'd be tired even if I went in the evening.

I'm putting the money that I would have spent on booze away and will be able to buy a good weights set when I hit the one-month mark. That'll reinforce the advantages of not drinking because I'll have something tangible with the money that would've been spent on booze otherwise.

Keep going.... you'll never find until the months over!

Anna 06-07-2011 01:21 PM

Yeah, early recovery is pretty tough, but it sounds like you're doing well.

I love the journalling that you're doing - good for you!

nodl5 06-07-2011 01:54 PM

what will be good itsaboutime is i think i might HAVE money again, that will be a kick in the pants. i went and looked at padded liners, gloves and helmets for riding my bicycle, specialized hard rock. i i need a radio mount for it too. speaking of pants, man they make the best bike pants in the world now. they are nylon, so one could swim, bike and run in them. i'm going to need to do something, since i am eating so much chocolate and drinking milk (skim).

Dee74 06-07-2011 02:55 PM

It is tough - but you're never alone in this....
Keep checking in nodl :)

D

itsaboutime 06-09-2011 04:23 AM

How are you getting on Today? I'm fine now but another weekend is quickly apporaching. I made 3 weeks a while back and before that, it was probably a month or six weeks back in 2008.

The maximum I stayed of the drink since 2000 was 6 months but I wasn't so far down 'the slippery slope' at that point, i.e. I'd only been drinking a year or two.

nodl5 06-09-2011 11:13 AM

well i went to an AA meeting that met at 6:30 AM. i rode my bicycle and felt awesome. but i am in some sort of funk now. i made my noon meeting and waiting for my ride to take me home, i started to feel lousy.

it has been my experience in these few days to simply wait it out.

it's been a while since i was a weekender. single parenthood has sort of shut things down for me. however i do go with my daughter to my sister's. there is a pool and everyone is drinking. pretty much at this point i don't want to fail my AA people. they work hard at maintaining sobriety and i find that that is better at this point.

i've never been longer than 6 weeks without a drink in 33 years. and only on two occasions have i made it passed 21 days.