Notices

I am now in a recovery program

Old 06-05-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am now in a recovery program

Hi everyone I was on the sight for a while and could not stay sober. So I hopped a bus to a bigger town where I have family. Of course I didn't stay sober and ended up in the emergency room after trying to drown myself in a river. I was drinking and doing atavan, the meds they gave me to detox from drinking. Well the long and short of it. My niece and her husband said sober up or out on the street. My husband in a different town had already kicked me out, hence the bus ride. l still didn't want to sober up. I walked around the city. I was trying to run from myself or something,and low and behold my higher power got me to an AA meeting. Now I had been in the doors of AA before and had decided it was not for me. Well I have stuck around for a bit and as of today I have 35 days sober which is the longest that I have been able to put together in the last 9 years. I am going back to my small town for a visit. My husband and I have spoken on the phone, but have not seen each other. I don't know if I will return to my life there or not. I plan to stay here through the summer, where I have support for my recovery. That would give me three months before returning to my little burg. There is a very small AA following so, this week will help god to help me decide what is the best action for my future is. I have rambled, but I just wanted to say thanks for a place to come and post. In the past and well as the future. Love the Lush
Old 06-05-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Lushly

I'm sorry for your troubles but I'm glad to see you moving forward now

D
Old 06-05-2011, 08:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you are in AA and are doing better. Congratulations on the sober time. Fantastic.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're finding your way. Welcome back.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you...Welcome back...
Old 06-06-2011, 01:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

what you have achieved is incredible. well done.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Congrats on your sober time! Glad you are finding AA helpful--it's always good for people to keep an open mind even if they "tried" AA before. Sometimes the timing is everything. When you are really ready, the message suddenly sinks in.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi Lushly-

AA is great, isn't it? The fact that it will always be there for us, even when we didn't want anything to do with it.

...and you get welcomed in by people who know how to get and stay sober.

GREAT job!

Kjell~
Old 06-06-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on 35 days. Stay strong..
Old 06-06-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. AA was helpful this time because I found a great womens group. There are meetings all the time. In my little town there is a 1 8:00 pm M & W and a book study on Sat. AM. mostly all men. I was able to get a sponsor here and it really helps. I am asking my higher power to help me make the right decision in whether I should move here to the larger area I am staying and have my recovery support or go back to my small town and have less support, but have my husband, job and home. I need to decide by 6/15 ( i have to sign my contract by that time for my job). I would love some advice that might help me with so very important decision.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lushly,

Practically speaking, you need a job, a way to pay the bills? If you have a job in your old town that could be helpful for you. Or can you find a job in the new city? I hope that you continue to find support here at SR, too.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Go for it, without sobriety you will end up screwing up whatever you take on anyway so make it your number one priority...get a sponsor, work the steps, recover from alcoholism like so many other have:-)
Old 06-06-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Sounds to me like you're in a good place right now. I'd roll with it, I think, if you can swing it. Not sure of all the details surrounding your job and your marriage, but recovery right now is, as the others pointed out, the key to having the rest of your life.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on 35 days! I'm glad you are in AA and enjoying sobriety.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations on your 35 days!! I'm so glad you're in a good spot and have found a women's meeting that you really like. If I had to choose based on what you said, I'd probably go with what Lexie said: if you can do it, and staying there feels right, I'd keep at it for a while. You could even think of it in terms of what it would be like to go to treatment for 3 months, 6, or whatever.

As you take it one day at a time, things will get clearer. Give yourself some love today and keep your eye on the prize!