Notices

Upset

Old 06-05-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Upset

Hello all. I am just a little upset because i do not want to go back to pills,but they say in rehab hat i will relapse without aa. Does anyody have any ideas on how to stop without aa. Has anybody practiced moderation management in terms of alcohol or any alternative programs to aa. I cannot stand he fact that people say i have this disease that i cannot control nor can hey physicall prove that i have this disease. Sometimes to me this disease thing sounds like bs. But i am in no means condmning anyone or heir way of thinking. I just wan to know what else people do for improving their lives and staying clean from drugs?
Old 06-05-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ttal914 View Post
Hello all. I am just a little upset because i do not want to go back to pills,but they say in rehab hat i will relapse without aa. Does anyody have any ideas on how to stop without aa. Has anybody practiced moderation management in terms of alcohol or any alternative programs to aa. I cannot stand he fact that people say i have this disease that i cannot control nor can hey physicall prove that i have this disease. Sometimes to me this disease thing sounds like bs. But i am in no means condmning anyone or heir way of thinking. I just wan to know what else people do for improving their lives and staying clean from drugs?
Hi Ttal

There are many programmes available out there - here's a link to some of the main players

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I don't 'do' AA myself so I disagree with any notion that you'll relapse without AA.

I'm not particularly worried about whether alcoholism is a disease or not either.

But I do know that everyone needs to work at their recovery - it takes action...and I think everyone needs some kind of regular maintenance with their recovery - it's a lot more to me than just not drinking....

I think that's what the folks at rehab might have been getting at

D
Old 06-05-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Ditto what Dee said. It doesn't have to be AA, just as long as you are active in your recovery and keep it first and foremost in your life. There are several other programs out there other than AA, and there are also addiction counselors. Many people who post here didn't use AA, but AA is a good program and has helped thousands of people.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was able to stay sober without AA for six months, but deep down I knew that it probably wasn't going to work long term. I really fought the disease concept, although my relapse of this weekend has proven me wrong. I am physically unable to control myself once I start drinking. I researched moderation management and thought this might be the answer, but for me, it clearly is not. I have come to the conclusion (as I'm still in bed getting over the worst hangover of my life) that SOME form of a recovery program based on abstinence is essential and that my life completely depends on it.

Wishing you peace and healing....
Old 06-05-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Ttal

I think the two above posts show there are more ways to work toward sobriety than AA if that does not work for you.

I am not sure what the pills are you mention but seeing a doctor you can trust is always a good idea, I keep mine close by and see her at least once a month as one of my supports even though her area is general medicine and not addiction treatment.

I think very few folks find moderation possible if they are truly alcoholic. Only you can know if you are.

Research around all sorts of models on alcoholism are out there and opinions is as wide as programs to deal with it. Its usually controversial and whether its a disease or not , to me make little difference , its the realization I will never be a normal drinker is sufficient. But thats me

I like large chunks of AA but also other inspirations to keep sober as well. It works for me , not for others. I can say different AA groups have different folks and different styles but based on a common set of beliefs. Other programs like Ration Recovery have a different way of viewing things but the end goal is to stop drinking , period. So moderation is usually not part of the programs that seem to work.

Good luck and hope you can find the support you need and well SR is always here and this board helps me all the time.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

But I do know that everyone needs to work at their recovery - it takes action...and I think everyone needs some kind of regular maintenance with their recovery - it's a lot more to me than just not drinking....

I think that's what the folks at rehab might have been getting at
Very true, if you are not vigilant in your recovery and you do not seek outside help of some form I truly believe you will relapse. I also find that people who refuse to continue finding outside help or don't believe in it relapse as well. If a person isn't willing to do whatever it takes to stay away from drugs or alcohol even if that means going to a meeting then usually they do relapse because they are not ready to face the hard truth that they indeed have a serious medical problem and it could kill them. Alcoholism is progressive - this is why some call it a disease. Your body will start to give out from it's use.

I think you should find what works for you but at the same time keep an open mind. You never know where the help will come from. Were you inpatient? What do you mean, "they say in rehab?" Just curious.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you are an alcoholic, moderation won't work.

I do believe that alcoholism is a disease. Many of us recover without using AA. I think it's a question of motivation. If you are willing to work hard on your recovery and make it your priority, then you will be okay.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by Ttal914 View Post
but they say in rehab hat i will relapse without aa. Does anyody have any ideas on how to stop without aa. Has anybody practiced moderation management in terms of alcohol
Hi Ttal-

Two things jump out at me from your post.

#1 - maybe you should listen to the folks in your rehab group? There are plenty of great folks on here who have recovered without AA, but it sounds like the path you've chosen is suggesting you at least try AA.

#2 - "Has anybody practiced moderation management in terms of alcohol". Dangerous thinking here. Do you want to quit or do you want to control your drinking?

I'd really think about that question and your intentions. There can be no doubts.

It's not always easy, but we can and do recover and you can be living proof.

Kjell~
Old 06-05-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your imput. It has been great . I was addicted to oxycontin for about a year to two years. Taking about 200 mgs per week in the last eight months. Before that it was about 100 mgs per week and i would not even take them some weeks. I tried to go to aa meetings and get a sponsor, but i am just not comfortable with it. I never want to take pills again, but i am just curious as o why i cannot drink once in a while. I have never had the slightest problem with alcohol. Even when i was in college i did not have a problem wih it. Also i am just curious would excercising being active in your recovery?
Old 06-05-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you were addicted to oxys why were you being told to go to AA? That's for alcoholics and it's actually frowned on to discuss drug addiction in AA. The program they should have recommended is NA: Narcotics Anonymous. But yes, it's possible to stay clean/sober without a formal 'program'. I'm staying sober using this site and my weekly counseling sessions.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Exercise is great - as a part of staying healthy, but it's not a recovery programme IMO.

Any real recovery requires change I think - what exactly are you changing Ttal - real changes I mean?

I know some people insist they're ok with alcohol - it 'wasn't their drug'...but I know in my case every time I decided to 'try' something from the drug world, alcohol was involved - it lowered my resistance, sapped my common sense and made the stupid seem really wise.

After all you've been through with oxys and getting off them, why would you want to risk the same happening with alcohol, Ttal?

Eventually I worked out it really didn't matter what particular thing I was drinking or drugging.

The drug was irrelevant - I was the problem....because a part of me still wanted to get off my head.

If that kinda sounds like you too, maybe you need to think a little more about changes?

D
Old 06-05-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I wasn't comfortable with AA or NA either. But I came to realize that addiction is addiction and that many people became not only sober, but found a way to live without altering their minds. I wanted that, so I went to AA again. That was eight months ago, and I haven't drank or drugged since.

On the disease front, I find that addiction is progressive. Alcohol wasn't my drug of choice for a long, long time. But it's available, cheap, and works...on the addictive mind.

The purpose of a recovery group is to find out why we can't live without drugs or alcohol. For me, that required a significant change within me, a change I saw others accomplished in recovery by going to AA or NA meetings.

If AA doesn't work for you, have you tried NA? What is is about a 12 step program that makes you uncomfortable?

Good luck!

Oh, one more thing on the disease front...I think beyond the fact that addiction is a progressive illness, is that it's a chronic condition. I didn't believe that until I realized after a whole bunch of years that chronic means it just doesn't go away.

Take it easy...In the Big Easy!
Old 06-05-2011, 09:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Any of us here can only speak for ourselves, and make suggestions based on what we've observed in our own lives and the lives of addicts and recovering addicts we have known. There is always the possibility that either we or you are totally unique and not your ordinary addict.

That being said...the reason we come here and keep coming back is because we are pretty sure that we aren't totally unique and that other addicts and recovering addicts have a great deal in common with us. We are here for the comraderie.

I never had a problem with alcohol either. I got off drugs, got into NA. It was all good, until it wasn't and I can't deny now that alcohol was involved in all my "not so good" episodes. Using alcohol led me to abusing all manner of things, such as MORE alcohol, drugs, food, sex, myself...

Now, after a couple years I finally get why NA considers alcohol a drug, and why addicts must refraign from using ALL drugs. I thought I was different. I was not. I learned the hard, life threatening way that yes, alcohol IS a drug, and people like me need to stay away from those.

The person I keep bumping into over and over again in my recovery is me, me and my denials, excuses, justifications, bargaining tactics, etc. Two years ago I was talking the way you are now. Sure I'd been abusing some substances but still...

I played mind games with myself for quite awhile while still digging myself deeper and deeper into misery. It's only when I get real scared that I get real honest. Other times I get cocky and stupid.

I know now, that I cannot use alcohol, even though it was not my drug of choice. I could have saved myself a lot of heartache and trouble if I would have listened to the recovering addicts around me a long time ago, but I thought i was the exception.

Your mileage and experience may vary.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Some of this makes sense, but what i dont understand is if i am addicted to all things wouldnt have i became addicted to alcohol when i use to drink socially from 18 to 25? Some of the disease concept and addiction concepts are just hard for me to grasp.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You might not be an alcoholic--not everyone who is a drug addict is alcoholic.

HOWEVER, once you are addicted to any mind-altering substance, consuming another, different, mind-altering substance is an invitation to relapse.

I have never had a drug addiction--I'm strictly an alcoholic. I don't have a problem taking a percocet or two after surgery (though I get off them the minute I can). But if I were to take them recreationally, I would be setting myself up for (a) an alternative addiction or (b) a return to alcohol.

I don't think you necessarily need to go to AA if you aren't an alcoholic. But since you had an addiction to a mind-altering drug, you would do well to abstain completely from recreational alcohol use.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

I've heard from some of my friends who are addicts, that they don't drink b/c they know they'll eventually, at some point, be drunk, and probably seek out drugs.

Or, they'll eventually be drunk, and a drug will surface, and they won't be able to say no.

I have some folks in my AA group who thought they were a drug addict, quit the drugs, then started drinking, and became an alcoholic.

It's a slippery slop for sure, but one in only you can answer.

Kjell~
Old 06-06-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've heard from some of my friends who are addicts, that they don't drink b/c they know they'll eventually, at some point, be drunk, and probably seek out drugs.
I've been told this too. And that alcohol lowered the drug addicts inhibitions to go back out and seek their drug of choice... Just something to think about. I'd go to NA and see what others have to say - can't hurt.