Notices

Day Seven on the Roller Coaster

Old 06-05-2011, 08:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day Seven on the Roller Coaster

And I don't know whether I'm doing the slow, clicking climb to the top or heading downhill with my arms in the air yelling Yippee!

And Ranger, I know the weepy thing. That should tell us something. Just wanting to cry from relief at being sober is a powerful indication.

I "came out" to my oldest daughter last night. Her husband was out of down so Phil and I spent the evening with her. Phil wasn't feeling so well so he said he would watch her kids while we went to dinner alone. She of course chose our favorite sports bar. I had this child when I was 16. She is now 34 and wonderful. As a teen mom, I did everything right--including not using. She was the most important thing in the world (and still is) and was worth giving up anything--no hesitation, no questions asked. And keep in mind, I was 16.

But over the years she and I have become great party buddies. We have been carded together. That's really fun. So we talked about SR and about our very alike alcohol issues and I drank a Kaliber. Whatever. I have to go to bars. She's also working on her counselling degree and she calls it recovery in context. I really will never (as you mostly know) be able to avoid almost daily alcohol exposure. So I have to be strong. And honestly, taking what happened when I found myself a teen mom, somewhere I'm pretty darned strong.

So it was very good. I swore her to secrecy. I drove her home. I'm going to love that role--making sure my kids get places safe when I can.

Happy Sober Sunday! We are off to an estate sale. Yesterday I went to it and found, get this, five BRAND NEW pairs of nice enough dress shoes IN MY SIZE.

What more could you ask of a pink cloud? Huh? What more?
Old 06-05-2011, 11:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Missy, I am really glad you are starting to talk to your family about this. I understand how you were reluctant at first, but it's really going to pay off in the long run. She sounds a lovely young woman with some great goals and with that counseling degree, the ideal person to be honest with first.

I also had my eldest daughter at quite a young age. I was also a single parent for the first 7 years of her life. Whilst it was very hard at the time, it forged a bond between us that has never been broken. She likes having a young mum, we share an awful lot in common. It's even better now I have quit drinking. She's only 15 and getting to that dangerous age where all her friends are drinking/drugging, so I have to be VERY vigilant. I am so glad I can now not be so hypocritical - before, I would be standing there, waffling on about the dangers of alcohol with a glass of wine in my hand....

I love me some estate sale...and even better, shoes!!!! I have over 150 pairs of shoes and boots, I'm ashamed to say. I had to do a cull the other week and sell some at my yard sale as I ran out of closet space. Ouch..it was very painful to part with 20 pairs
Old 06-05-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

New Shoes!!!! i'm there....last count i think i had 35 pair of summer shoes......

enjoy your day, you sound very happy...(whats a Kaliber)?
Old 06-05-2011, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Missy7 View Post
...I drank a Kaliber. Whatever. I have to go to bars.
THere are a lot a places someone might have to go. A bar isn't one of them. Yes, you drank an NA beer this time. Maybe the next time too. But your roller coaster recovery has been one where maybe you shouldn't be putting yourself in the way of temptation.

Just a thought...
Old 06-05-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ah, Carl, but in context, and that's what I was talking about, I cannot just end all my relationships. I must manage what I have. Hence the Kaliber. It was just fine.