SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I wrote a note last night at 10:30 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/228649-i-wrote-note-last-night-10-30-a.html)

SSIL75 06-04-2011 01:24 PM

I wrote a note last night at 10:30

Just a note to my husband (who was out) telling him that our son had woken up sick and I had given him medicine. I was concerned he'd come home and feel his fever and double dose him.

Chances of me being able to write a legible note a year ago on a 'free' night alone with my husband out? About 0.
Would I have even checked on my son and found him sick? Unlikely :(

I'd have been too busy guzzling wine and running to bed when I heard the garage door opening so I wouldn't have to talk to my husband and reveal how drunk I was. Drinking 3 different kinds of drinks so no bottle would be empty.

Cos I was clever like that :lala

It's good to be (9 months!) sober. :tyou

1undone 06-04-2011 01:29 PM

I'd have been too busy guzzling wine and running to bed when I heard the garage door opening so I wouldn't have to talk to my husband and reveal how drunk I was. Drinking 3 different kinds of drinks so no bottle would be empty.
Boy does that sound familiar! ugh! Glad I'm not doing that anymore but I still have crazy alcoholic thoughts. I'm only 22 days so I'm wondering if I will every stop craving this liquid evil! :(

bellakeller 06-04-2011 01:30 PM

So proud of you! :scoregood

TheTinMan 06-04-2011 01:48 PM

Congrats on the 9 months sobriety!

Your post shows how much people's lives improve without alcohol.

least 06-04-2011 01:51 PM

I too am amazed and excited at how much I can accomplish sober.:) No more putting things off or ignoring them altogether due to being too drunk or too sick.:( And paying attention to my dogs (my kids;)) means I notice problems before they get too bad and take care of them.:)

I have a paperweight that says "my goal in life is to be the kind of person that my dog thinks I am", and being sober enables me to do that.:)

SSIL75 06-04-2011 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by 1undone (Post 2989968)
Boy does that sound familiar! ugh! Glad I'm not doing that anymore but I still have crazy alcoholic thoughts. I'm only 22 days so I'm wondering if I will every stop craving this liquid evil! :(

You will! It really helped me to do some other soothing thing when a craving hit. A glass of coke, a walk, a long shower. Slowly those things became my new 'go to's' in place of alcohol.

Also it helped me to relax about the cravings. I would remind myself that an alcoholic craving alcohol was totally normal. And it would pass as I built a life that had more to it than alcohol.

I got a lot from Rational Recovery (AVRT tool specifically).

I don't have any significant cravings anymore.

Congrats on 22 days!

Hevyn 06-04-2011 01:59 PM

Wise words, SSIL75 - thank you. I can relate - I was clever like that too.

simplyfab 06-04-2011 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by SSIL75 (Post 2989962)
Would I have even checked on my son and found him sick? Unlikely :(

I was that "person" too, with many other sad moments.
I don't even feel right referring to myself as a "mom" when I was drinking. :(

Keep up the great work and Congratulations on 9 months!!

Thank you for your post! I haven't been feeling it today and your post made me feel better and shine light on the important things that seem to take a back seat when feeling down.