Notices

Day 2 and it's Friday - suggestions?

Old 06-03-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 and it's Friday - suggestions?

Hello, I'm new to the site, or at least new to posting. I know day 2 is nothing to get excited about, but it's been so long since I've had a day 2. A little bit about me, I typically drink 1 to 2 bottles of wine nightly, and I sometimes follow up with a couple of shots of hard liquor if I need to fall asleep fast. I don't typically drink before 4:00 pm Monday - Friday, but Saturday and Sunday are free game. I have no tragedies to tell (yet) as a result of my drinking, and I have a great job and homelife. I've read Rational Recovery, as well as the Easy Way, can anyone offer any other suggestions? I don't want to go home tonight and romanticize about having just one and then wake up tomorrow morning with no recollection and my husband not speaking to me. My husband doesn't think I'm an alcoholic, yet doesn't understand why I can't just have a couple. Good luck and warm wishes to all those who are in the early days of withdrawal, and thank you to those with more experience for sharing, your words offer priceless inspiration.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Stumbling Drunk

I quit (again) on Monday of this week. Why again? Because I always, always go for that "just one" after being good for a long time. Just one for me quickly becomes 15 beers nightly and double that on the weekends. Iced tea seems to trick my mind long enough to forget that I'm supposed to be drinking beer right now. An hour later (or sooner), another iced tea. And so on. I don't know about others but iced tea is the only thing that works for me.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, Deb. A couple of people recommended to me the book "Under the Influence." And I'm passing on what turned out to be very good advice. Get the book. It's about $8. You won't be sorry!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Deb, congrats on day 2. Don't do yourself down and say it's nothing much, because it IS. Every day is.

So you say it's a long time since you've had a day 2. How long did you last before drinking again? Did you have any outside support or a plan in place? I think the only way we can learn is by examining what we were doing last time that caused us to fail. I don't do AA but I would, definitely, if I needed to. Have you thought about doing AA to help you with this? For most, just cutting out drinking isn't enough.

You are drinking quite a considerable amount each night there, so please be very careful with quitting cold turkey. I would see your doctor, tell them everything, make sure you detox safely and then see if they have suggestions about outpatient or AA, just to help keep you on track. Good luck!!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Deb day 2 is wonderful! Congrats to you girl! That is something to be proud of. Just keep thinking how your thinking right now and keep coming back to this sight. I am on day 24 and it hasn't been great. But that I think is what we have to go thru, are the tough times to remind us of what lies ahead when we're clean! Good luck Deb. Love~
P.S. I have a small list of things I make myself do every a.m. #1 by taking a walk around the block. I do and just keep thinking that it will make me physically stronger, which in turn makes me mentally and emotionally stronger. You're working? I've always been stay home mom, and now my only miracle child is 17! Just graduated h.s. and entire yr early. She and my hubby are my world. They are my strongest support.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, Deb! I am with you on day 2. Have you practiced the AVRT techniques discussed in Rational Recovery? The thing I liked in Allen Carr's easyway is the reminding myself that alcohol is poison. When I actually remember to think about it that way, I am revolted by the thought of alcohol!

Have you considered checking out a support group? AA can be found everywhere, and depending on where you live you may have the options of Women for Sobriety and SMART recovery as well. These programs also have good websites.

I will be getting through Friday without alcohol because I have made plans to start working the 12 steps with another SR member and I promised I'd call at a specific time this evening! Also, I am motivated to have a sober, healthy weekend because I have a lot that I need to accomplish next week and I can't be on my "A" game if I am tired and detoxing from a weekend of bingeing.

In the past, I have found using the chat room here on SR is helpful when I just really have an itch to go to the liquor store.

Oh, one more book idea (for both of us, I am about to go put it on my coffee table): Living Sober. It's an AA publication but is loaded with ideas on how not to drink that anyone in or out of AA can use.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Start working on your recovery. Not taking the first drink is a step toward doing that. Keeping busy and finding other things to do helps to not take it, but only through recovery, ie, treating the disease, can you get well.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I find it interesting that your husband doesn't think you are an alcoholic. Does he drink? I drank 2+ bottles of wine per night after 5 too M - F and weekends were also a free for all. I also drank other things after that If was still coherent - that is out of control drinking.

The word alcoholic has negative connotations socially; maybe your husband is having a hard time with his beliefs?

A lot of alcoholics are like us. Maybe on the outside we look good, are functioning, etc. but we black out nightly, dislike ourselves in the AM - we can't stop drinking until we pass out.

I tried to moderate my drinking - change when, where, how much, with whom, I drank but per usual it always ended up the same, blacked out and wondering what the heck I did the night before and a disappointed husband!

I go to AA, mostly women's groups that are closed. Without these meetings I'd be doing the same crap as above or maybe I'd be in the hospital, in jail, in a ditch? This is a progressive disease as I'm sure you well know. The ladies in AA taught me that there are these things called, "yets." I haven't gotten a DUI, YET. I haven't lost my family, YET. I haven't lost my job, YET. You get it....

Anywho, regardless of the path you take you certainly have an issue with alcohol is what you've typed is true. Also, you will have a ton of support here and the fact that you are on day 2 is great! Don't downplay any effort and please read more to figure out all the options you have to be healthy.

You asked what to do on a Friday night. I'm going to an AA Meeting. Hang in there! You could always chat here tonight!
Old 06-03-2011, 10:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, Deb! It's great to have you here.

I have found herbal tea to be a good substitute for the wine. I have something to hold, drink, and relax with. Then I'm off to bed to read a book about addiction/recovery.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Deb93-

Originally Posted by Deb93 View Post
I've read Rational Recovery, as well as the Easy Way, can anyone offer any other suggestions? .
A.A. Meetings are the safest place on the planet to be early in recovery.

If you are looking for reading material, I'd suggest "Drinking-A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp, and, of course "Alcoholics Anonymous" first 164 pages. Read these between as many meetings as you can find for the next few weeks.

Congrats on 2 days!!

Zube
Old 06-03-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A.A. Meetings are the safest place on the planet to be early in recovery.
If someone would have told me this just a couple of months ago I would have laughed in their face. But you are so right. I've never had so much support in my entire life.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Deb93--I'm on Day 2 (and feel pretty rotten I have to say but am making it through). I made plans to have my brother and his fiance come over and watch a movie. They know my story, don't drink (both training for a marathon) so that I keep cravings and anxiety at bay. And I have plans to hit some AA meeting this weekend, so Friday is just another day that I am counting, one day at a time. I hope you find some good solutions and we can say hey on Day Three tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Deb/1Undone, this sounds so familiar. . . I don't have advice, but it's oddly comforting to know I'm not alone.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Deb93 View Post
My husband doesn't think I'm an alcoholic, yet doesn't understand why I can't just have a couple.
The answer is in the question. An alcoholic is the drinker who cannot stop at a couple. I think you are definitely going to have to educate your husband as you continue to learn about this cunning, bafflng disease...of which one of the nastiest symptoms is that it tells us that we don't even have it!

Hugs.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great suggestions here Deb

I also recommend SR for reading. I've found many posts here that have helped me in a myriad of ways over the years

The first weekend is always a little scary to think of, but you'll find lots of people here who've gone through it - it gets easier

Welcome back LTrzczka - what else are you doing besides the iced tea?

D
Old 06-03-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
instant

Hi Deb
It gets better .The first few days and the first week are hard. You might be at risk of a significant withdrawal so getting some help might be useful
Old 06-03-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi all, thank you for your replies. So far things are going good, I'm having a quiet evening at home with some hot chocolate. I've spent some time reading through the various forums, and many are exact reflections of my own thoughts and behavior. I am looking forward to waking up tomorrow feeling physically good, and mentally empowered.

Again thanks,
Debbie
Old 06-03-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Day Two is only one day before Day Three! congratulations. I'm on Day Five and doing GREAT. You will get there. I have a husband who doesn't think I'm an alcoholic too, so I know that you need to do this alone (just figuring that out). What ya know what? You're doing it for you anyway.

Bring on Sober Saturday and congratulations to you!
Old 06-03-2011, 10:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think the hardest decision is the one to get started. You should feel good about that. Today is officially two weeks for me, and it hasn't been easy.

However, tonight I played Monopoly with my girls and I am now reading and playing around on this site. I have found it to be extremely supportive.

I am currently reading Lit, it is by Mary Karr and it is her memoir on her life as an alcoholic.

Glad you are here!!!
Old 06-04-2011, 12:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Deb. I am wishing hte best for you, however, I have no words of advice. All I can say is that after numberous times of saying I would quit and going through the motions of treatment, AA, etc. I never really decided I would quit. Now I have decided that to myself -- not to anyone else. And now, 10 days later, I feel really good and proud of myself. Once I made the decision it was relatively uncomplicated. Of course there have been a few times when I have thought 'i feel like shite and I know how I can make this immediate feeling numb' but I work the scenario through and I don't like what I forsee (basically immediately back into the same old pattern of drinking every day and my life continuing in a blur. I wish well to all of us. Keep your focus hon, I really believe there is a great life ahead, free of the chains of alcohol.