Notices

A quote to share

Old 06-01-2011, 09:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A quote to share

About 10 years ago, I heard these words, and reading everyone's posts on this site (including my own) really makes the words ring true to me:

"You don't just wake up one day and are an alcoholic.... it takes a lot of work and dedication... you have to drink a lot and drink often to really achieve being an alcoholic"

I can't remember the person's name, but from what I am reading from everyone, that is exactly true. They were being somewhat sarcastic but were trying to drive the point into our young heads that it can happen to anyone, whether you think it's happening or not. Nobody just woke up one day and was an alcoholic, it happened slowly over time. I am grateful to everyone for sharing their stories, because it reinforces that I am making the right decision in wanting to just stop that train now. I have had way too many years of working my way towards a horrible ending, thankfully right now all I have is a lot of humiliating moments and now am finally realizing what road I am on. I am glad to be here and hope to never go down that road again. Thinking that I am just young and will grow out of it is probably my mind's way of convincing me to keep heading towards that horrible end!
Old 06-02-2011, 01:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

If we could only harness that energy as a force for good !!
Old 06-02-2011, 02:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Humiliated View Post
"You don't just wake up one day and are an alcoholic.... it takes a lot of work and dedication... you have to drink a lot and drink often to really achieve being an alcoholic"
Jmo, and my experience also to some extent, you can't drink yourself into a state of alcoholism, excess drinking is the symptom, not the cause.
Excess alcoholic consumption is linked to a myriad of medical issues, I don't believe that simple alcoholism is on that list, though I could be wrong.

There hasn't been a massive amount of research into the precise causes, but it seems to be the overwhelming consensus of the medical community that you either are or aren't. What you refer to as 'slowly over time' is merely-imo-the progression of the disease. In some the progression is fairly rapid-drinking yourself to death by the mid-30's-in most I think it's fairly slow, at least by comparison.

Not suggesting that as a rationale for further 'experimentation', just sharing my experience and belief.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

if we dont change direction....we will likely end up where we are headed...

love that quote/it says it all..
lao tzu
Old 06-02-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thinking that I am just young and will grow out of it is probably my mind's way of convincing me to keep heading towards that horrible end!

I thought that for years...then 30 years later I realized I drank away my young years. Now I'm an old bag...but a sober old bag! LMAO
Old 06-03-2011, 02:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by instant View Post
If we could only harness that energy as a force for good !!
Amazingly, we can..........

I love your little smiley!
Old 06-03-2011, 02:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

That's not a smiley- it's actually me
Old 06-03-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Then you get into recovery, hopefully, and learn that alcoholism has very little to do with the act of drinking and alcohol is just the symptom of the problem:-)