Notices

How?

Old 05-31-2011, 10:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How?

New here. Done some lurking. Thought I'd say hi.

I'm an alcoholic.

I have crippling anxiety, even when I don't drink for weeks/months.

I am often depressed, and sometimes manic.

I have ADD and was started on stimulant medication when I was 13 (which I haven't taken for years).

I've done every drug you can think of, and I'm pretty sure there are chemists on this board who could test me. I would pass. I'm not proud of it.

But I can't beat this alcohol. The anxiety is overwhelming, and benzos are addictive, so they're out. Alcohol brings it to a manageable level, although it's torn my life apart.

I've been through treatment and been to enough AA meetings to choke a donkey. The pain is physically and emotionally incapacitating.

My question: I know somewhere there have to be others like me who have lived/are living. What did you do? Just suck it up and live your life in sober suffering? Or something else? I know AA and sobriety is supposed to alleviate the elephant on your chest, but it doesn't. It just gets heavier.

Help?
Old 05-31-2011, 10:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Waywardway,
Attending AA meetings is not the same thing as working the AA program of recovery. Did you work all twelve steps of AA exactly as described from the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous with a sponsor who has had a spiritual awakening and who has recovered from alcoholism? The AA solution is a vital spiritual experience or an entire psychic change, e.g., a personality change sufficient to overcome alcoholism.

I suggest you read the Big Book (i.e., the AA textbook) starting from the title page to page 164 for the program of recovery and that you find a solid AA sponsor to guide you. If you still suffer from anxiety issues after you have completed working the steps in this fashion, then you would probably benefit from professional help in dealing with your anxiety.
Susan
Old 05-31-2011, 10:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've read the book. I've worked some of the steps, in a manner of speaking. People take 10 years to work some of these steps. Am I supposed to wait this long for some promised relief?

It's true though, about the "spiritual" experience. I have a tough time with the word, but I experienced it today during a step 1 meeting.

Also, it's my understanding that you don't ever "recover" from alcoholism.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So I AM actually trying to work the program, but it feels like the program doesn't give a **** about how you feel *now*. Even if you believe the promises... what does one do about how they feel *now*, when even temporary relief is right down the street? Just suck it up? Go to another meeting.. at 1 in the morning? go call your sponsor... at 4 in the morning?

There is no relief... just the promise of relief down the road, evidently. Hopefully.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Waywardway, first of all welcome to SR and to a great place full of hope, help, support and wisdom.

Now I certainly dont speak with the wisdom that years of sobriety have given some here(I have 4and a half months)....I can only offer you my experience.

I have found many things that have helped me, with staying sober, with anxiety, with trying to understand and manage my emotions and myself in sobriety. I sought the support of strangers who became friends here. I asked for help in the form of psychotherapy and also with an addiction counsellor. I have also started working hard on myself, everyday, changing things everyday so that I dont keep getting all the shyte I was always getting. I have started practicing mindfulness as often as I can and this has begun to bring me peace in my daily life. And it is a great thing to use for anxiety..and is fairly simple once you know how.

Whatever you do Way..it takes dedication and work..and I am sure you will find plenty of encouragement and support here as you travel your journey to recovery. Reach out and ask for all the help you can get, we can not do this alone.

welcome again.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey waywardway - welcome

I'm not in AA, but I do have some personal experience with depression and anxiety - I had to try a lot of things (and not just meds) before I found things that worked for me.

Stopping drinking was hard for me too - alcohol was my medicine for both physical and emotional pain...but eventually even alcohol stopped working for me.

It's not easy to deal with stuff sober, especially preexisting things like anxiety and depression - I think staying sober was about the hardest thing I've ever done, but it got easier the more things I faced and got through - noone would stay sober if it didn't.

Support helps. In fact I think its vital.

Support got me through a lot of those *now* times, and you'll certainly find a lot of support here like I did

good to have you with us
D
Old 06-01-2011, 12:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had to work the steps in AA which is the solution...going to meetings didn't sort out the symptoms you are referring to when abstaining from alcohol for a period of time (i did a year abstinence once and they do not go by magic), which i had too like anxiety, depression etc...get a sponsor, work the steps and recover like i did...the result is what you are looking for, sucks you have been to lots of meetings and you haven't heard what the program actually is...but just go back and do it:-)
Old 06-01-2011, 04:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Get someone to guide you through the steps immediately and quickly. Yes you can recover, not be in a perpetual state of "recovery".
Old 06-01-2011, 04:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Waywardway: I've read the book. I've worked some of the steps, in a manner of speaking. People take 10 years to work some of these steps. Am I supposed to wait this long for some promised relief? .... Also, it's my understanding that you don't ever "recover" from alcoholism.

Oh my goodness, NO. The twelve steps were intended to be worked quickly, more like twelve days for twelve steps. The early AA's began working the steps as soon the person was mentally clear enough from detox (out of the alcohol haze) to understand what he or she was doing. Bill Wilson took approximately 9 days to work the steps. Dr. Bob took approximately two weeks (all of his amends were done in a single day).

Bill D (Anonymous Number Three, p. 182) worked the steps in days. Dr. Bob routinely took people through the steps in a single afternoon. The 9th step amends obviously take a little longer than an afternoon. And as soon as one was through the steps, the individual was then expected to share the message of recovery with other alcoholics.

How long does it take to work the steps? How quickly do you want to recover? How soon do you want to be well? And how much effort and commitment are you willing to put into the work? Taking years to work the steps is a prescription for killing an alcoholic. Years, absolutely not! Three months maximum.

Even today: The Back to Basics beginners meetings (based upon Wally P's book) work the steps in four one hour sessions. The 1940's style Big Book step study that I attend works the steps in one month. Clarence Snyder's legacy materials were meant to be done in a single afternoon. And there are plenty of twelve step weekend workshops and retreats (i.e., like the Joe and Charlie Big Book study) that take a weekend to do.

Obviously, the 9th step amends are a process. How long amends take will depend upon the number of amends one needs to make, the complexity of the amends, etc. For example, if one owes creditors $20,000, that debt is probably not going to be repaid in weeks, months or maybe even a couple of years. But one can arrange a payment plan and faithfully begin setting the debt from the past right. Another example, if one has a DUI, it may take some time for the charge to wind its way through the legal process. It may take a couple of years to make things right (i.e., court appearances, fines and court costs, DUI classes, probation, etc.). You get the idea.

I have three years of abstinence from alcohol. I'm not sure I would call those three years "sobriety" because I have been suffering from untreated alcoholism. I have attended hundreds of AA meetings but without working the steps I did not experience recovery. The mental obsession was running rampant and the spiritual malady was alive and very much well. I was abstinent from alcohol and downright miserable.

For myself, I began working the steps from the Big Book (exactly per the directions) with a sponsor on May 2nd. Today is June 1st. I have worked all of the steps with the exception of step 9. None of my amends are complicated amends. I expect to be done with my 9th step amends by the end of June.

Look at the title page of the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous: The Story of How Many Thousands of Men and Women Have Recovered from Alcoholism (emphasis added). Look at page xiii, 1st paragraph (Forward to the First Edition): "To show other alcoholics precisely how we have recovered is the main purpose of this book." The AA text states repeatedly "recovered".

More examples: p. 20 paragraph 1, "Doubtless you are curious to discover how and why, in the face of expert opinion to the contrary, we have recovered from a hopeless condition of mind and body." p. 29, paragraph 2, "Further on, clear-cut directions are given showing how we recovered." p. 132, paragraph 3, "We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others."

Certainly, one is not cured from alcoholism. page 85, paragraph 2, "We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition." But recovered, yes! Either the founders of AA and the early AAs (who wrote the Big Book) meant what they said or not. My experience is that I have had a spiritual awakening as a result of working the twelve steps and I have recovered from a hopeless state of mind and body (i.e., alcoholism).
Susan

** All quotes are from the BB of AA 1st Edition
Old 06-01-2011, 04:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Waywardway,
Below are excerpts from the thread I started in the Alcoholism 12 Step Forum called "Progress Report". If you are interested, read that thread. The miracle of recovery is still happening in AA. It is just a matter of finding it.

December of last year;

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanlauren
It's Christmas. It's supposed to be a time of joy and peace and celebration. Happy. Happy. Not. I am struggling. I don't want to leave the house. I don't want to do anything. I am barely functioning at work and at home. I am sleeping way too much. I am eating way too little. I am losing weight. I've not put up a single decoration. I just want the holidays to be over. A part of me would just like my life to be over. In some ways I feel as if my life is already over. Family and friends ask me how I am doing, and I say, "great." Yeah, right. And did I mention I am obsessing about drinking. I want that feeling of warmth and comfort and relaxation. I am not going to kill myself. I just want the pain to go away. I am asking where is the meaning? where is the purpose of my life? I know I am depressed. I know alcohol is a depressant -- that to drink would just make my existing depression that much worse. The joy of life is gone. I feel as if I am just existing day to day. I pray for God's help -- to shine a light into the dark night of my soul. So tell me, how do turn this around? How do I get the joy/the spark of living back? Susan

And today;

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanlauren
This morning I did my 5th step. I laughed. I cried. I felt great relief. I felt exhausted. I followed directions for steps six and seven and got down on my knees and said the 7th step prayer. Tomorrow morning I will begin my 8th step. The obsession that plagued me is completely gone. It disappeared when I began work on my inventory. I have absolutely no desire to drink. Inside I am calm and at peace. It's a 110% improvement from my life before.

God has a sense of humor. It never occurred to me that I might actually like being an alcoholic, might actually like AA, might actually like the Big Book and might actually like the results of working the steps. Who knew? I fought all of it with a vengence. What was I thinking? I can tell that I am changing through this process, dramatically, for the better. I wish I knew then what I know now. Tonight I am filled to overflowing with gratitude.
Susan
Old 06-01-2011, 04:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Waywardway, if nothing worked for you, did you try some non-traditional recovery method.? There is no harm in trying this few mintues clip .

YouTube - ‪7 Steps to Break Any Bad Habit or Addiction - Part 1‬‏
Old 06-01-2011, 04:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by waywardway View Post
I've read the book. I've worked some of the steps, in a manner of speaking. People take 10 years to work some of these steps. Am I supposed to wait this long for some promised relief?
Susan pretty much said it all, waywardway. Reading the book brought me no relief. Working some of the Steps, the ones I was comfortable with, brought me no relief. Going to meeting brought me no relief. In fact, doing all those left me drunken, depressed, and too anxious to leave the house.

When I became desperate enough to do the things that I didn't believe would work, I called a guy in AA who spoke of a spiritual solution in AA. He showed me that this 'perpetual recovering' state was a bunch of BS, and was not what AA's founders had experienced. They had recovered, and so could I.

Actions, wayward, taken by following specific and precise directions, lead to being recovered. I've seen it work for everyone who does it. It can be a little drastic, that giving up of all my notions of control and what I think is right, but it works.

There is a 12 Step forum on this site with people that can help.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I also have dealt with anxiety/depression all my life. I have not used AA but I have found things that help me a lot in dealing with the anxiety. I do take antidepressants and for me, it's very important to do that because the depression existed long before the drinking started. There are lots of good books on anxiety and some simple things that work surprisingly well. For example, telling yourself to 'Stop' and take 3 or 4 very deep, slow breaths. With anxiety, breathing becomes shallow and rapid and this increases the anxiety and helps to stop your body from relaxing. The deep, slow breaths won't make the anxiety disappear, but for me, it helps to make it manageable.

"Mind Over Mood" by Greenberger & Padesky is an amazing workbook.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

what does one do about how they feel *now*, when even temporary relief is right down the street? Just suck it up? Go to another meeting.. at 1 in the morning? go call your sponsor... at 4 in the morning?

There is no relief... just the promise of relief down the road, evidently. Hopefully.
Welcome Way...I think what you are speaking of is lack of faith. You need to have faith to completely trust that you WILL over come your addiction.
I didn't have any hopes in my 30 drinking years that I would ever quit. Then I had an overwhelming sense of encouragment within my own heart that reminded me that only I can do what is right for me. You can go to meetings, read books, etc but for me at least...until I completely understood and accepted in my own heart that I was completely powerless and needed to believe that I could overcome this addiction is when I realized that I needed to have more faith in my future and know that the path that was layed out for me was the right path. Go with your gut, stay on course, have faith and you will succeed. In my opinion anyway!!
Wishing you peace and strength.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bingen View Post
Waywardway, if nothing worked for you, did you try some non-traditional recovery method.? There is no harm in trying this few mintues clip .

ww.youtube.com/watch?v=tGQu8lJ9fQo]YouTube - ‪7 Steps to Break Any Bad Habit or Addiction - ]
I stopped listening after he said "Hi I'm Mike and I'm CEO of a company called habitbusters..."
Old 06-01-2011, 09:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
Welcome Way...I think what you are speaking of is lack of faith. You need to have faith to completely trust that you WILL over come your addiction.
I didn't have any hopes in my 30 drinking years that I would ever quit. Then I had an overwhelming sense of encouragment within my own heart that reminded me that only I can do what is right for me. You can go to meetings, read books, etc but for me at least...until I completely understood and accepted in my own heart that I was completely powerless and needed to believe that I could overcome this addiction is when I realized that I needed to have more faith in my future and know that the path that was layed out for me was the right path. Go with your gut, stay on course, have faith and you will succeed. In my opinion anyway!!
Wishing you peace and strength.

I think this is right. I need to find the faith in myself to begin to think that it can get better. Thank you.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum! I have a grab-bag full of mental issues too, a perfect set-up for self-medicating with alcohol.

I don't think we have to settle for suffering through sobriety - there are so many resources out there......Allow yourself a little hope/faith and keep an open mind. And remember, it's a process/journey......

So keep learning, searching, growing......you can do it!:day6
Old 06-01-2011, 10:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

it feels like the program doesn't give a **** about how you feel *now*. Even if you believe the promises... what does one do about how they feel *now*
As emerald said, faith... maybe even blind faith...

Feelings are just that, feelings... they lie, cheat and steal and do nothing to get us recovered... action is what we need. Seriously, over and over it has been proven to me, that when I am feeling ******, that something is missing, rudderless... if I take action I will feel better... Action can be as simple as getting up and getting dressed and go to work and doing the best I can... or try to help another person, even if it's just a phone call... "Hey, how are YOU doin?"... whatever... a tangible act, one that is not all about me, but all about another human being... My higher power lives in others...

SR usually doesn't fill the need to take action. As much as my participation here on SR has helped me sooooo much, if I need action, I have to push myself away from the keyboard...

Keep coming back... and really get into those steps, work with another person... go to a meeting...

Screw your feelings...
Old 06-01-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by waywardway
what does one do about how they feel *now*
I found CBT very useful for dealing with unpleasant emotions as they pop-up now. Many times its my "twisted thinking" that is making my current emotional state worst that it may be. I have debilitating anxiety from time to time during the day. One problem I had in the past was when an panic attack would occur, I would think about how awful it was. That I should not have to endure this. This started a whole chain of negative thoughts what loop around and around in my mind. Just making the whole experience intolerable.

Now when a panic attack comes on, a lot of times it happens when I trying to do something I need to do, like food shopping. I take a deep breath, catch and stop any thoughts that would make my panic worse that it is. Focus on what can I do lessen the effects of my panic, like staying grounded: focus on what I'm doing, like being out shopping. Look at my list, get what I want, just staying centered on the task at hand and allow the anxiety to run its course.

After all my panic or anxiety levels do start to taper off as I continue to practice mindfulness (staying focused on what I doing and not being distracted by my mind) and complete my task. Then after shopping wile I sit in my car I feel a great sense of accomplishment and gratification. Its rewarding to be able to manage my emotional state, as it gives me courage to continu my better emotional health journey.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

look at it this way..
if the twelve steps are a ladder out of the pit of misery you are in ,then it makes sense to climb all 12 steps out into the freedom ..
if you only do some steps then you are only so far up and still a long way from the top of the pit where you can finally get out....
makes sense to me...
as someone already said ..do them as fast and thoroughly as you can/we cannot go the easier softer way..it does not work..
the 4 and 5 steps are very hard but soooo worth it.
good luck to you