Notices

Not drinking makes me tired

Old 05-31-2011, 08:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not drinking makes me tired

How could I be more energetic and awake when I'm drinking - it's a depressant. Why does it feel like it was rather the opposite?

Also, my problem was drinking heavily in my house on a nightly basis. Now, I can go out with friends and drink but then don't keep anything in the house. Is it OK to drink in moderation, or rarely heavily, if you don't slip back into old habits?
Old 05-31-2011, 08:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back

It made me tired too, doorinthefloor.
It's pretty common for a little while.

I figured I'd been abusing my body for a long time - it took time to recover from that.

I also think it showed me very clearly just how much I'd become accustomed to operating under the influence of alcohol - take it away and I was like a rag doll.

I couldn't do what you're suggesting - I tried both only drinking when out and onmly drinkign at home - eventually and inevitably I ended up in the same old place.

I found it impossible not to slip into old habits.
Once I drink alcohol, all control goes.

How long did the break you were going to take from drinking end up?
D
Old 05-31-2011, 08:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee. I know there is a possibility I'll slip. I didn't even allow myself to recognize until recently that it had gotten out of control. I felt like as long as I was going to work and succeeding in my career - I was fine. I'm in good shape, go to the gym, and have a life other than alcohol. But yet every night, regardless of whatever else, it was hard liquor I was drinking - generous pours and easily going through a handle on my own in a week's time. So, I have cut it out - and it definitely feels weird - like something is missing. And I feel run down and a little.... down mood-wise too. So I appreciate your answering and letting me know you can relate, thank you.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alcohol is actually both a stimulant AND a depressant. The first few glasses give us the buzz and makes us more energetic, talkative and lively. After that, the depressant factor kicks in, hence falling asleep/passing out later. Then the depressant part wears off, which is why your sleep is more restless and poor quality. It's a heck of a roller coaster ride, and something I really don't particularly want to get back on. I'm finding that yes, I'm tired in the evenings, but it's a natural tired - and sleep restores me now, rather than it being p*ss poor all night.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It also made me tired when I quit. Even workouts were harder which didn't make any sense to me. I just took naps when I could and figured I deserved it. Nice little reward for not drinking.

Like Dee and many others I've heard on here....drinking in moderation is not an option for me. May seem like a good idea and I might even be able to do it for a few weeks but every time it eventually lead me right back to the bad place I had been. Even worse which I guess is part of the "progressive nature" of my addiction.

Another part of my problem is that if I'm honest with myself...then the idea of moderation isn't really all that appealing to me. If I can only have a few drinks then why bother? I prefer to get to some other "level of escape" which takes much more than a few drinks. This fact proves to me that my drinking problem will kill me if I give it a foot hold. For me, trying moderation is a foothold.

This is just my experience though. I wish you the best with your decision.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Newwings is right about the effects, the brain also tries to produce its own chemicals to counter the effects, but there is only so much it can fight against. I used alcohol to 'medicate' many things such as anxiety and depression, but overall I think it increased both of those symptoms for me. Depression in the early stages of recovery is common as the brain chemicals try to normalize and that can be linked to reduced energy. Marked symptoms should perhaps be addressed by a doctor.

Like others here, I have to say that after some deliberation over the issue, the only real solution for me was abstinence, anything else seemed to lead to more of the same roller coaster.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I'll just echo that it is normal to be tired. Takes a while for the body to adjust. Sleep.

Originally Posted by Happier View Post
Another part of my problem is that if I'm honest with myself...then the idea of moderation isn't really all that appealing to me. If I can only have a few drinks then why bother? I prefer to get to some other "level of escape" which takes much more than a few drinks.
This is how I feel too. Moderation would of never worked for me, nor most people with alcohol problems.

Good luck.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

I almost killed myself trying to drink like other people or in moderation. It talks about that in the BB. It is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker to drink like others.

I know no one could tell me I had to keep hitting bottoms till I was done.

I hope you find your answer? Have a good one
Old 05-31-2011, 10:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

I wanted to add to my post but it wouldn't let me so I wanted to start another one.

I just went and read A Sober Warning it is a post that is down about 3 or 4 from this one. I would suggest you go read it and then ask yourself the same question about drinking in moderation.

Peace
Old 05-31-2011, 11:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey there,
Not drinking definitely makes me more tired as well. But I wonder if -- as well as all the depletion to your body done by alcohol -- it is a mental exhaustion. All those years of running on borrowed energy: the preoccupation, lying and manipulation catching up. As well as the not-having-to pretend that you are 110% the next day to try and cover up the fact that you are dealing with a cracking hangover or still intoxicated from the night before. I am only on day 6 (again) but I can tell you , I don't miss the constant playing of catch up not just with others in my life, mostly with myself. I covered it up so well for years but in the past two it has become a vicious circle that I never want to go back to. And this past week while Ihave been home alone every night when my husband and children return to their new and hopefully temporary home and I feel lonely and miserable I have to keep telling myself this instead of taking what would be the easy, short term route -- going to get blasted. Keep your chin up Door. We can do this!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorinthefloor View Post
How could I be more energetic and awake when I'm drinking - it's a depressant. Why does it feel like it was rather the opposite?

Also, my problem was drinking heavily in my house on a nightly basis. Now, I can go out with friends and drink but then don't keep anything in the house. Is it OK to drink in moderation, or rarely heavily, if you don't slip back into old habits?
I quit drinking for 10 years. I always felt like I was missing out on something. Started going out once a month with friends. Thought I could manage that. Once I divorced, it became once every two weeks, once a week, 3 to 5 times a week. You get the picture. 5 years later and a trip to the hospital, I realized I had to quit. Back then, I suspected I may be an alcoholic but never really believed. I do now. I know I cannot take even a sip. I am on day 31 of sobriety. I feel better. I am tired some days but it is well worth it. I take vitamins, drink lots of coffee and just started a workout plan. It is a personal decision only you can make. Nothing is going to happen unless you are ready. I wish you good luck. Life looks a lot better when my glass is empty.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorinthefloor View Post

Your alcoholic mind says 'feed me'. You get a rush and your mind is awaken from this rush...then the more you drink...the alochol kicks in and does the depression thing.
I loved the first few. Unfortunately, the first few always led to the last few. I didn't remember the middle few and ulitmately passed out, blacked out or just felt like crap.
I drank in my house, too. I'd rather drink 'enclosed' so no one knew how much I really drank. I didn't go out much.
When I'd slow down, I thought I could go out and have a few beers with dinner, or I even worked at a bar (big mistake)...that led to eventually buying a bottle and starting the cycle all over. I can never drink again. Period. Alone, with friends, out at dinner, etc...never. I know where that road leads me and I am not willing to take another chance that I will ruin what I have worked so hard for the past 4 months. I just can't take that chance.
The choice is really up to you and your situation. No one can make you not drink when you are with friends...but it has been my experience that it never turns out the way I want it to.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was wondering the same thing. I'm on day 14 and exhausted all the time. I was doing some housework on Sunday and after two hours I had to take a nap! I've never been that way. I try to get up before work to go to the gym, but even the 8-9 hours I get are not enough. I feel that I'm in a daze all the time and I could fall asleep on the spot. I sure hope this ends soon. Maybe I should start some vitamin regimen or something. It doesn't make sense to me either....quit the toxin and be more exhausted...seems like an oxymoron!!!
Old 06-01-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 4MyMel View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I'm on day 14 and exhausted all the time. I was doing some housework on Sunday and after two hours I had to take a nap! I've never been that way. I try to get up before work to go to the gym, but even the 8-9 hours I get are not enough. I feel that I'm in a daze all the time and I could fall asleep on the spot. I sure hope this ends soon. Maybe I should start some vitamin regimen or something. It doesn't make sense to me either....quit the toxin and be more exhausted...seems like an oxymoron!!!
Vitamins are good. Especially the ones with high amounts of B-6 and B-12. Taking antioxidants and vitamin C helps. It does get better. The first 2 weeks for me were the worst. Foggy brain, tired, disturbing dreams. I figured it was like working day after day with little sleep. The body needs to recover from the injury we caused it. Hang in there.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've noticed I'm dead tired as well.... It's been about 3 weeks sober. Hoping it gets better, gotta chug tons of coffee lol

I'm also wondering if it's the prozac doing it to me? It doesn't have the alcohol in my system to stave off so maybe it's making me that much more tired?
Old 06-01-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have been dead to the world since giving up two weeks ago. I think it is 100% normal though the reasons dictated vary, I am sure they are all true to a degree.

I have been drinking lots of green tea, keeping coffee (love strong black coffee) down to 2-3 cups a day since I guess it will only make it worse, lots of water, vitamin supplement every other day and eating well.

It seems to be getting easier - I know I definitely still feel better for not waking up after the night before...
Old 06-01-2011, 02:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Being really tired was dangerous for me, now I know it is a phase and I try to in my mind not focus on how tired I am, I try to focus on "recharging" I was so mad when I got sober because I was tired all the time, it turns out that alcohol hides all the physical aches and pains, along with the crushing mental pains. Keep on keeping on, I have more energy sometimes now, not great energy, but so much better decisions, quality of life, etc.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mcribb View Post
Being really tired was dangerous for me, now I know it is a phase and I try to in my mind not focus on how tired I am, I try to focus on "recharging" I was so mad when I got sober because I was tired all the time, it turns out that alcohol hides all the physical aches and pains, along with the crushing mental pains. Keep on keeping on, I have more energy sometimes now, not great energy, but so much better decisions, quality of life, etc.
Interesting comment, I work a physical job and have felt stiff and achy ever since stopping drinking. Weird.

Sneaky that stuff...
Old 06-01-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Originally Posted by woowaa View Post
Interesting comment, I work a physical job and have felt stiff and achy ever since stopping drinking. Weird.

Sneaky that stuff...
I am will be very honest in the fact that I don't feel well most of the time these days. It seems like I am always writing stuff out working with the sponser, always tired, but I keep changing things and I can't really go back to the way things were. Most of the people on this site paint this picture of a refreshing high of being sober, I get one of those days probably 1 out of 10. So my point is don't quit, my thoughts were, hell if I knew I was going to feel bad sober I would have kept drinking. That is a lie and not the solution. I do remember a couple sober mornings early on that were glorious.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mcribb View Post
I am will be very honest in the fact that I don't feel well most of the time these days. It seems like I am always writing stuff out working with the sponser, always tired, but I keep changing things and I can't really go back to the way things were. Most of the people on this site paint this picture of a refreshing high of being sober, I get one of those days probably 1 out of 10. So my point is don't quit, my thoughts were, hell if I knew I was going to feel bad sober I would have kept drinking. That is a lie and not the solution. I do remember a couple sober mornings early on that were glorious.
Thanks for that - nice not to feel alone, I agree in reading it should all be rosey but I guess we are all different or recollection is different. My mind feels clearer but I am so tired all the time.

I am only on day 16 but woke this morning feeling like I have flu and wrestled with someone during the night - truth is I framed a stud wall and ceiling yesterday - something I do a lot normally, and normally without this feeling the day after.

This isn't an isolated incident either, it is each time i work and lasts for 2-3 days after. Something that has never been a problem in all the years I have worked this job.

Though gladly, at the moment, it isn't making me feel like drinking again.

Vitamin supplement, big breakfast and off out to ignore the aches!!