Notices

Not drinking makes me tired

Old 06-02-2011, 09:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Heh I guess my 1 out of 10 days is today, I hit on the right amount of sleep and caffeene. I am going to try to post and give back on the day I feel good, but I feel darn good today. Everything tastes, good mind is clear. It is a good morning.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Drinking alcohol used to pump me up. Of course the coke did too, but I would literally get amped when drinking. I could go all night. I am an alcoholic.

I've been sober for about 18 months and I've rarely felt great.

In fact, most days, I feel off and awkward and even sick a lot (headaches, sinus, allergies).

I drank for 15 years (plus did a lot of drugs). My body and mind simply don't know how to operate sober and let's face it, some damage was done.

There's going to be a long period of reconstruction.

Kjell~
Old 06-02-2011, 10:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mcribb View Post
I am will be very honest in the fact that I don't feel well most of the time these days. It seems like I am always writing stuff out working with the sponser, always tired, but I keep changing things and I can't really go back to the way things were. Most of the people on this site paint this picture of a refreshing high of being sober, I get one of those days probably 1 out of 10. So my point is don't quit, my thoughts were, hell if I knew I was going to feel bad sober I would have kept drinking. That is a lie and not the solution. I do remember a couple sober mornings early on that were glorious.
Make no mistake. It isn't all refreshing and wonderful. I ache almost every day. I crave booze a couple times a week. The world didn't change and become wonderful when I became sober. What I think most people mean (myself included) is that it feels great not to go through the pain, side effects, humiliation, and turmoil addiction brings. It feels great to know that there is a better life ahead with sobriety. Day 32 and I woke up once again feeling like I have had the flu. Every joint aches. I don't have that every day but at least 4 days a week. It is a whole lot better then vomiting bile, tremors, and hoping like hell no one at work knows what a drunk I am. Hang in there. I am sure our bodies will adjust.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I can relate to the aches and pains. But hey, let's face it....I'm 40 something years old. I try to stay active and exercise but can hardly walk across the room when I get up at night. That's ok. Atleast I'm not falling over from being dizzy while I try to get to some source of hydration!
Bottom line is that at least what I feel now is real. It is life. I try to accept it for the gift that it is. Not to mention how things are so much better for my friends, family and all who know me because I'm sober. I'll take a nap and put up with a few aches to experience real life.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I got the same think when I first quit went from drinking everyday to nothing. Just sleep and don't feel guilty abot it, it goes away pretty quick I thought it might be calorie drop the odd choclate bar helped short term

cheers
Old 11-29-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi,

Also in the tired phase after six days alcohol-free. My husband is putting in a new kitchen ceiling while I keep taking naps. I feel bad that I am not being productive but come to think of it, I was not very productive when drunk. Sure I had lots of energy but it was misguided and destructive. Gonna start drinking more tea for energy, but I would rather be tired and sober than a manic drunk. Glad to hear that the energy usually comes back after a while.

Last edited by JetIonic; 11-29-2014 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Needed to add one adverb.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Nice to have you here on SR. Alcohol will make you think you are awake and alive for a short period of time. But the truth is it just wants to make you weak and tired in the long run. Find a program that works for you and STICK with it!! You will have so much energy you won't believe it....seriously!
Old 11-30-2014, 01:06 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I was a lethargic slug for the first several weeks. Literally nodding off at all hours of the day, craving naps every afternoon, and getting out of bed was like raising the titanic from the bottom of the ocean. BUT, the crazy lethargy was soooooooooooo much better than the daily hangovers.

It improved greatly after a month.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Today is much better. I am actually doing yard work. No desire to nap yet. Of course, the fact that I had a super-thick cup of coffee this morning (over-filled the french press for a zippy treat) might be helping. I don't mind - whatever causes this day to be productive is worth it. Thanks for not letting me feel alone.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:52 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
I was a lethargic slug for the first several weeks. Literally nodding off at all hours of the day, craving naps every afternoon, and getting out of bed was like raising the titanic from the bottom of the ocean. BUT, the crazy lethargy was soooooooooooo much better than the daily hangovers.

It improved greatly after a month.
Day 49 and the tiredness has not improved at all, worse than it was at a month.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:34 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR JeffreyK

yeah I was pretty tired for 90 days. I thought I'd never feel energetic again but I did

D