Notices

New Here

Old 05-31-2011, 08:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Kat

New Here

Well, here goes...I am new to this site...had a bad weekend (again) as another new comer explained...so tired of humiliating myself and friends...I don't get "tanked" all of the time but as far as I am concerned it's no excuse, I have a problem with alcohol...I need to do something about it...

Hopefully I can find support here.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This forum is an awesome place to find support. I have really turned my life around since stumbling across "SR" late last month. Certainly don't expect things to change overnight, but if you are diligent about checking in on the site a couple of times a day, it really seems to help! Welcome to the club, and good luck with your efforts!

**PN**
Old 05-31-2011, 09:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You will find a lot of support here! Just keep posting. You will be amazed and how similar all of our situations are.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kat

As I am sitting here at my desk at work I feel so ashamed...like I have this dirty little secret...does anyone else ever feel this way or remember feeling like this?
Old 05-31-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi RunningKat-

Yes, except most people knew I was a party animal, even the ones I didn't think did.

...but I had secrets too.

Maybe it's time to let go of some old ideas and get with some people who know how to get and stay sober?

We can and do recover and you can be living proof.

The guilt, shame, and remorse can go away, by the way.

Kjell~
Old 05-31-2011, 09:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

to SR

I hope you find the courage, support, experience, and hope I have found here at SR.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kat

Thank you Kjell...I really need to hear that...still feeling like garbage for behavior Saturday night ...what I remember is haunting enough....ugh...I knopw I just have to do this...
Old 05-31-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thom

My first day on this site. I'm new to soberity. This is my 3rd day. Need all the support I can get. I have been drinking daily for quite some time. Usually start around 4:30pm Drink Vodka. I want to stop. and i will stop. There was something I read yesterday and I can't find it now. It talked about the "booz brain" If someone could direct me to that post again it would be great.
Thank You
Old 05-31-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to all new comers! This is a very supportive group of people! I had/have a lot of guilt and shame too but I try to remember that I am sick. I don't use it as an excuse but I do know I'm "wired" a bit differently than the "normal drinker." Please share your stories.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Welcome, Y'all.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome runningkat and thom! This is a wonderful support site.

runningkat, I can completely relate to the dirty secret thing. The only one who knew my secret was my husband. The problem was he didn't see a problem with it (I was never drunk, always took care of my responsibilities, etc.). If I told anyone else that I was drinking a bottle of wine almost every night, I would have felt extremely ashamed. That's just not what girls like me do! Anyway, I can relate and that's why I'm here and living wine-free; I'm ready to be free of the guilt and shame that I carried for so long. Not to mention the fatigue, red eyes, yucky skin, extra few pounds, wasted money, etc. etc. etc.

Welcome and best wishes in the days ahead. You can do this.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Old 05-31-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Runningkat and Thom. I had the secret shame stuff going on too - I now read here regularly and occasionally post, go to AA every day, have a sponsor and go to therapy once a week or every other week. I also started off by doing an outpatient treatment program. I recommend AA - it's not as scary as it seems (in fact it cah be fun) and there are people who will identify with you in person.... although this site is good too. And Thom, I'm not sure what you're referring to, but there is a condition nicknamed "wet brain" - if you do a search for it you will come up with some information.

If you can let go of the shame of recognizing that you are an alcoholic (or have a problem), it will be so much easier to move forward. I know from experience (though I'm still early). Keep coming back!
Old 05-31-2011, 03:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR runningkat - you too Thom
You'll both find a lot of support here

D
Old 05-31-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi runningkat and welcome! We all know what it's like to have those bad weekends (again)..... When I realized I would keep repeating the same scenario over and over again, I knew that I had to get support and get sober.

My life is much better sober...... Keep reading and posting!

Welcome to you, too, Thom. Stick around - it's a great place!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I feel so ashamed...like I have this dirty little secret...does anyone else ever feel this way or remember feeling like this?[/QUOTE]

I have felt the same way. This site definitely has helped, and amazingly, each person I have told has reacted with support. I have not told anyone at work, just close friends and family.

Know that you are not alone.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I attempted to use part of your post, I obviously have not figured out how to use the quote correctly.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the best recovery site everywhere.