Notices

Interesting Saturday Night

Old 05-30-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Interesting Saturday Night

Hi all.

Saturday night we did the usual thing--went to our daughter's house and played games until late. I didn't have a drink! Not even a beer. And I know people noticed, but they didn't say anything. Eventually my daughter had a couple of drinks, and I was glad of that. I was struck by how stupid we still got. We have a tendency to play youtube "top this" each week and my son in law, always the best youtuber, really had us going.

So it can be done.

Staying sober remains a real challenge for me. But I'm getting way stronger and I think I will manage a long-term quit eventually.

Anyway, they're on to my efforts. And I'm glad.

My son in law's mother is coming for our GD's Bday in a couple of weeks. She drinks plenty but has always made snarky remarks about my drinking. Once, in fact, they were at our house for Christmas and she had bought her husband some very expensive scotch. She couldn't find it and practically accused me of drinking it--which I never would. Didn't need to. I shuffled the cabinet and it was in there. Or she says, you know, Gosh, where's your glass? Or worse.

She will not see me drink. Whatever holier than thou...

I truly believe nasty judgment makes it harder to get control of it. I have many times had another drink to spite her--to show her she doesn't have an effect. Kinda stupid, but I think it's important to note.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Missy,

Just think how great it will be when you are not drinking around her. Your daughter must be really proud of you!!!

I have enjoyed reading your posts since joining SR. Thank you for sharing!!!
Old 05-31-2011, 11:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

SIL's mother sounds like a real gem. Glad you got through.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

:rotfxko
SIL's mother sounds like a real gem. Glad you got through.
LOL exactly what I was thinking. I love people who have nothing better to do than point out your weaknesses or faults. Like they are perfect? Puullleaaassseeeee.