Notices

One year and over club

Old 06-02-2011, 04:09 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Im glad to see a new forum for people with over a year. I only wonder if there will ever be call for a 2 years and over thread.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
bbr

18 months as of may 22. I've been doing and feeling great! Haven't been on SR much... been pretty busy, but thank you all for helping me get here.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kevinlednylon View Post
Im glad to see a new forum for people with over a year. I only wonder if there will ever be call for a 2 years and over thread.
Give me A year and 5+ weeks and I will set one up myself

But there seem to be many here already qualified
Old 06-02-2011, 08:17 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
6/20/08

When I first came to SR I really needed to see people that had some sober time (I don't even know how long that time needed to be). I needed it because I just didn't think I could do it. When people like Carol and Anna stepped in....it gave me hope. I remember Taz was here. He helped, too.

That's what I think this thread is. Hope.

We can do this. We can be and stay sober. Life IS better sober. Doesn't matter if you follow AA or your own designs. It really doesn't. What matters is growing into a better person. That's what I see the people in here doing. Growing and changing and becoming.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:19 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I think the more you grow, the more you appreciate everything. The farther you get away from drinking the more you realize it's not all about you and life flows more smoothly. Congratulations to everyone who is not drinking today. You can be sober for a year or two or for a lifetime.
Sober for a lifetime thread - everybody's welcome
SH
Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I like that, Stanley: Sober for a lifetime.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:01 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

I've heard it said that gratitude should be action. Today I am so grateful for my sobriety. I am moving! Finally I can say that life isn't just happening to me. I am participating in life.

Last edited by Kablume; 06-03-2011 at 05:05 AM. Reason: added
Old 06-03-2011, 05:13 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Servant of God

Hater Here! Green with envy... (just kidding)

Can't dispute results of your commitments to yourselves. You are all battle tested and choosing the right way to live and should be so proud. Can't wait to join you next April!
Old 06-03-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Well kids, here it is TGIF time once again. I remember when I first quit, how sorry for myself I was when the weekend came. I couldn't relax & kick back like everyone else. Poor me. I couldn't throw money around and waste hours having conversations I'd never remember. I couldn't get numb and wake up Sunday wondering where the weekend went. I'm so thankful those horrible "happy" days are in the past.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Today is 542 days of continuous sobriety. Next week I'll have a year and a half. I look at my shiny happy dogs and have my reward every time I look at them. Just knowing I'm capable of their care gives me respect for my sobriety. I am becoming the person I want to be, no longer the person I used to hate.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:39 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Eternally Grateful 4/25/08

What a great idea starting this thread. I got clean on 4/25/08 and I honestly never dreamed I could have the life I do today. The peace and happiness I feel now incredible and it just keeps getting better. Gratitude doesn't even begin to describe it! Thanks for letting me share!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Would just like to share something from my early days sober. I started out with a group of other people, that included one girl who at the time, I'm kinda ashamed to admit now, I didn't have much hope for, in her battle with alcoholism. She now has several months more sober time than I do. That was a big lesson to me, still is in dealing with newcomers and giving them my own 'prognosis'. I hope to avoid that arrogant attitude.

Gratz all and thanks very much for this thread.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:20 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Great idea for a thread, least

2yrs 7 months here

LaFemme I cant believe youve almost got a year - time flies!!!
Old 06-05-2011, 06:45 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Tomorrow will be 3 years for me! WHOOO HOOO!!! At one time, I never thought it was possible, but it is.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:33 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

With a humble heart and eyes full of tears of joy, today i join this group. Hello all. May you have a blessed day.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:07 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm thickled to see members checking in with their good news.....

Let's all enjoy another day of recovery
Old 06-05-2011, 08:11 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Congrats all and have a blessed grateful day.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:41 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Shout outs to Suki and GettingStronger2 and Least.

Congrats on your milestones, guys

I really hate addiction. I hate the way it ensnares people, takes away all rational thought, reduces genuinely good people to folks with just one objective - to escape from life. Two days ago, a family member called me in an emergency. She had almost overdosed and was panicked because her boyfriend was withdrawing from benzos. She kept emotionally breaking down, sobbing and shaking, confessing that she hated herself, that she was cutting, etc., and I've never felt so powerless.

It was scary being in active addiction but I think scarier when a loved one is going through it, to watch them spiral and hurt and be in so much pain all the time. I want to give her the willingness, the fortitude to get help, whatever she has to do to get better, but I know that she has to make that choice for herself, or it's never going to last.

I just thought I'd share that. Have a good Sunday, everyone.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Big Congratulations to Suki and Getting Stronger!! Welcome to the club GS (sista)

Old 06-05-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I ditto what Draciack said: Congratulations Suki, GS2 and least! Keep leading the way - I'm following behind you!

I was so happy to get a year of sobriety..... I was amazed, grateful, and happy. Still am! But it was also bitter-sweet...... the goal had kept me motivated and feeling good about myself, but once I rounded that corner it got scary again. I had told myself I wouldn't think about quitting smoking for a year - and here it was. Other things started coming up too - my spiritual life, eating healthier, exercising, getting more organized........ pressure, pressure. The return of guilt, fear, self-criticism. Anyone else go through this?

(I do recognize that I've made a lot of progress, though. My latest gallery show just opened yesterday - with a total of 56 paintings. It took a great deal of effort and I'm proud of the work. Only in sobriety could I have done it.)

Hope everyone is having a peaceful, sober Sunday. xoxo :day6