Notices

Feed me

Old 05-30-2011, 07:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feed me

Hey SR friends! I hope everybody has enjoyed a relaxing and happy Memorial Day weekend. I just wanted to drop a quick question:
I have been sober for 13 days, (two weeks tomorrow! *****) and since about day 7, I have had one helluvan appetite. There is literally no stopping me; I've felt like a garbage disposal for the past week. I work out a few times a week, so I have only seen the weight go up a smidgen... I just haven't eaten like this since I was in my "growin' years."

Has anybody else ever experienced this? It has been at least a year since I've had a break from alcohol this long, so I wonder if my body's chemistry is just all out of whack. It doesn't matter what I eat, I've tried calorie dense foods like peanuts to curb the hunger, in an effort to feel like I don't have a bunch of food weighing me down, but whatever I eat doesn't satisfy....

If you have experienced such an occurrence, I would love to hear from you! I am wondering how long I can expect this to continue.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was pretty ravenous for a while for 'good' food.
I figured I needed it?

D
Old 05-30-2011, 07:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

same here..
feed yourself with nutrious food ,instead of empty alcoholic calories/
also lots of good vitamins inc all the b vitamins/remember you are what you eat.

good luck
Old 05-30-2011, 07:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
KCB.com/justfortoday :-)

Hey PapaNico - I think a lot of people are the same. They don't eat much when they are drinking and part of the recovery and getting to a healthy way of living means that they crave nutrients and their appetites return.

Personally I ended up turning to food addiction. I believe my body was craving sugar and I couldn't stop eating chocolate! I also believe what Overeaters Anonymous states that sugar kicks off the same physical craving as alcohol. So I stay away from that. And I try to see food as fuel for my body and I stick to three meals a day.

You could just be getting back to normal - stick to your working out though - that's meditation on the go it's great!
Old 05-30-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In early recovery I ate a lot too, good food and junk food. It did go away and now I just eat normally for me.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i think that kinda stuff happens cause drinking slows your metabolism. maybe your metabolism is getting back to normal..
Old 05-30-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have found that I'm hungry too. I wouldn't say I crave anything, but I have a genuine, honest hunger. And because of the lack of alcohol, it hasn't had too much of an effect.

I have genuinely been taking care of myself. Eating, sleeping, saying no.

I wish I was working out. I'm not, but I hope to all the time. But there is just this need to do the ONE thing I need to do...cause for me, quitting drinking has been a real challenge.

On the other hand, not one single day have I eaten like I would on hangover day...so I think I'm winning.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've been eating more. When I was drinking I didn't eat much and had a very strict 'diet'. Now, its a free for all! Hehe. I've gained about 5 pounds but could use it. That reminds me...time for ice cream...
Old 05-30-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Same story here. Totally hungry all the time, but also for good food. Huge salads, fruit, nuts, etc. I think my body wants the nutrients. I also figure if I am not consuming alcohol calories it's got to be a net zero on the calorie scale.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi PapaNico,

First of all, congratulations on two weeks!!! It is close enough to tomorrow to say that now. That is a huge accomplishment.

I am feeling the same way. I am on day 10, and have definitely been hungrier than normal. I too, workout most days, and that has probably helped. Although, while drinking I would stupidly save my calories for wine and skip food. I think I am appreciating the fact that I can actually eat and not obsess over how many calories I have consumed in alcohol, some days it was probably close to 1000 .

I am hoping that my body adjusts and my appetite settles down a little too. Good thing for exercise!!
Old 05-30-2011, 09:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

The hunger lasted for about 3-4 weeks with me and then my appetite started leveling out. I ended up losing about 20 pounds after about 8 months sober.

Don't fret too much over it..... alcohol creates nutritional deficiencies and it could be your body trying to get back to a healthy balance. My advice is enjoy it!