Notices

Sick of Meetings

Old 05-30-2011, 11:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I've never been to a meeting. But I will tell you this... I'm drunk right now. I'm tapped into my rent money due in two days. I have no where else to live. I'm probably going to spend even more. I'm in a bad, bad place... That meeting can't be nearly as bad as where I am. Don't end up back where I am now. Better you hear the same thing over... and over again... then ended up where I am now.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Drunkalogs.................Meetings............... .......

Hi Everyone,

When I wanted Sobriety more than anything else in my life I did attend AA along with having a Sponsor & Counselor for my depression. I attended a meeting every day of the week for the first year. I live in a small rural community so many of the same people were at each meeting.

We had open & closed meetings & the open meetings were for the newcomers & that is where we shared our first step with the new person. If we wanted good supportive AA we went to closed meetings. The newcomers could come to the closed meetings but we did not share drunkalogs there.

I have 22 years of Sobriety built on living the AA way of life along with the Serenity Prayer to this day.

kelsh
Old 05-30-2011, 11:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bubbyody View Post
I've never been to a meeting. But I will tell you this... I'm drunk right now. I'm tapped into my rent money due in two days. I have no where else to live. I'm probably going to spend even more. I'm in a bad, bad place... That meeting can't be nearly as bad as where I am. Don't end up back where I am now. Better you hear the same thing over... and over again... then ended up where I am now.
bubbyody, I am sorry to hear about your troubles. You will find support here if you are looking to for recovery.

If you are interested, here is a list of AA Intergroup Phone Numbers around the country. Perhaps, you should call your local number and get some help, instead of continuing on downwards in your spiral.
AA Intergroup and Central Office Phone Numbers
Old 05-31-2011, 05:01 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

Eddie73, Kudos to you for coming on here and asking questions. It takes a lot of courage to do that. I hope you got a lot out of the good suggestions that you were given.

bubbyody, I hope you come back and join in our community. You'll find a lot of support and hope here.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

bubbyody...
Welcome...this really can be your final go round with alcohol...and I hope it will be.
Many of us are winning ..and so can you...
Old 06-01-2011, 07:03 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eddie73 View Post
I am tired of AA meetings. I hear the same stuff over and over at them. I am not learning anything there anymore. It is turning into a case of looking around the room and thinking to myself "here we go again".

Is is t wise to take a break from meetings? I am in that place right now. I defo dont want to drink again but I am feeling lost after meetings.
Let me ask....is that the sum total of AA for you? Meeting makers DON’T make it. If all you do is attend meetings, you are a visitor to our Fellowship. You are welcome to stay, but don’t expect that to keep you sober.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I hit my home group only once a week. I drive 35 miles to and from work and know there are meetings in that town but get tired of driving. And my dogs will pee on the rug if I'm way too long. LOL
I find that when a group has the same people they get lazy and just go through the motions. Kick it up a notch, go in with a topic...research it and share it. It is useful information for you and might hit the right drum with someone else.
We are in a slow process of getting our group back on track. The head guy admits that he isn't on track alot of times after doing it for so many years. You get stuck in the mud and need new ideas. New people.
Maybe your group can take turns on who runs the meeting?
I know that all the people in my group are my friends from town and even though it gets repetitious at times I have to respect the fact that we all have a story, we all have a battle. I just listen and learn. But I never don't go just because I don't want to hear it. Especially in early recovery, I need the reminders. I needed the stories. I needed to know how detrimental this whole situation was affecting my life.