Notices

what's a helpful read

Old 05-30-2011, 01:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
instant

what's a helpful read

On day 15, still all new, still preoccupied by my obsession. Perhaps noticeably less so at times......or is that an illusion. At no current risk of drinking............for today. I slept in on purpose but got to work on time. Luxury and contentment. I was surprisingly productive, compared to my average Monday !!!

I have been perusing The Big Book, also had a look at amazon re "living sober" and other books. Thinking about AA, reading about Naltrexone. Eating Chocolate. Pondering the "insane" thoughts that must have preceded last relapse (after six weeks about 7 months ago). Never wrote them down. WHAT HAPPENED?............I have an inkling. Considering my next move (s).

It's funny that after reading The Big Book any book by someone with a Phd and no real life experience seems to have much less appeal.

So apart from the foundation AA texts which books can impart some wisdom?
Old 05-30-2011, 02:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Actually these people do have PhDs but I love these books nontheless. "Under the Influence" and "Beyond the Influence". If you read these books you'll learn a ton about alcoholism. Also "Dr Bob and the Good Oldtimers" is a great book about Dr. Bob's life andhas a lot of fascinating early AA history in it.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Read, "Drinking - A Love Story" over the weekend. My g/f had read it in response to my drinking & gave me her copy. Although I could relate to some of what the author went through, one could get pretty much the same out of reading what other's have posted on here.

I do have a copy of "Under The Influence" on order & with any luck it will be here tomorrow.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Here are two other books I've read.
Dry - by Augusten Burroughs and UnDrunk by A.J. Adams.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Maybe not what you had in mind but...

The Lost Weekend by Charles Jackson written in 1944, then adapted into an amazing film directed by Billy Wilder and starring Ray Milland.

Under the Volcano by Malcolm Lowry written in 1947, also made into an exquisite film directed by John Huston, starring Albert Finney.

You gotta read the books first of course, but the two actors in these films give two of the most amazing on screen portrayals of alcoholics I have ever seen.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

"Drinking: A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp

"A New Earth" and "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle

"The Seat of the Soul" by Gary Zukav
Old 05-30-2011, 08:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Drunkard: A Hard Drinking Life by Neil Steinberg or any other memoir of a recovering alcoholic.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Right before I stopped drinking I read:
Happy Hours Alcohol in a Woman's Life by Devon Jersild: It is a collection of stories as well as research

I am currently reading Lit by Mary Karr it is a memoir of her life as an alcoholic/drug addict as well as insights into the alcoholism in her family.

I read Smashed the story of a drunken girlhood by Koren Zalickas about two years ago (obviously I have been thinking about quiting for a long time!)

All of the books are either memoirs or a collection of stories about people who suffered from alcoholism.

I will probably be purchasing Drinking: A Love Story after some of the suggestions on this site.

Happy Monday Instant!
Old 05-30-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Proof - Alcohol and American Life

I'm glad I remembered this.

A great blog the NYT's had a couple of years ago on drinking and alcoholism in America.

Click the contributors names in the right column to read their pieces. The reader comments to the stories are just as good. This blog kept me busy for hours on end.

I can't post a link yet but just google nyt proof blog.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Apparently there is a new TAO book out, called TAO & SOBRIETY or something like that. I;ve read the other TAO books and liked them.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

Another vote for Caroline Knapp's "Drinking, a Love Story"