Notices

One beer! What???

Old 05-28-2011, 04:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One beer! What???

Ok so last night my nephew graduated high school! The graduation started at 7:30pm and lasted about 2 hours. Afterward my immediate and extended family went out to eat - around 10pm. When we got to the restaraunt there was a wait. So a group of them said, "why don't we have a drink while we wait". I could literally see the "lightbulb go off" in their heads. I realized that until that very moment, none of them had thought about having a drink until that very moment. Certainly none of them had drank before the ceremony and they didn't seem at all concerned with breaking any of their drinking rules. They weren't concerned about it, because they don't have any....

When I was drinking, I had a code of drinking rules. Never start too late - because I'd be up way to late - like 7am late drinking. Never start too early - because I''d be drunk and stubbling around - and I couldn't have that now could I... And finally, never, and I mean ever order one light beer and then quit.

It's just another affirmation that I am the real alcoholic. Not that I was questioning it or anything, but I like to look at "normies" and just compare myself to them to see how different we really are.

They all had their ONE BEER, got a little more talkative, and that's it. There were no shots ordered, no mixed drinks (double please), none of it. Just some folks having a beer to kill time.

I actually found it funny. I was so sick when I was drinking but I really didn't even know how much.

I'm so grateful for the ability to see these things now. I'm grateful that I am able to be around them and be present.

As for how folks can have one beer and then stop, I'll never have that figured out. The good news is, I don't need to. I am an alcoholic and their not. As long as I don't take that first drink - life is open for me to enjoy.

Just thought I'd share that with everyone.

Have a great Saturday all!!!!

. It wasn't until that exact sitation presented itself to them that they had made the decision to have a beer.

That is not how I drank everone!
Old 05-28-2011, 04:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I can relate for sure - one beer, what the heck good is that? It's nice to see you learning and growing, Reggie. I spent so much time being resentful in the beginning. Have a great weekend.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Disregard the bottom two lines please. Having a one year old and writing don't always go well together LOL. Have a great day all!!!
Old 05-28-2011, 05:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

I could have pretended to be normal in that situation, but when I was drinking, the desire for another drink would eat at me and not let go. I often come home early and continue drinking "properly".
Old 05-28-2011, 05:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can relate to what your saying. I watch people have one beer or maybe two with dinner, and than order coffee? What's up with that?
Old 05-28-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I drank to get drunk, so the "just one beer" concept did not compute with me.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It started at 7:30? I would have been half in the bag by then...them is prime drinking hours. LOL That would have been a long two hours without a drink and the first thing I ordered at the restuarant!!
Glad you enjoyed the evening...just wait, you have another 17 years to go.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It has actually helped me that I've never desired to have just one or even a few drinks. I have always been take it or leave it. I would be fine with no alcohol or I would need to drink 600 beers. The urge to moderate has never been there and I am lucky for that.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Yea right one beer ha cant even give that thought a chance!!!

Good for to see that, great post thank you!

Have a good day

Peace, Dylan
Old 05-28-2011, 06:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Cool huh, we are in the absolute minority of people with regard to our drinking regardless of what the media would have us believe...it's lovely isn't it to know that the world is full of nice, sane, mature people rather than thinking everyone is like we were...much less scary place to live:-)
Old 05-28-2011, 07:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

since it doesn't click with me, i ususally think of it as a diabetic having a piece of cake.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Originally Posted by instant View Post
I could have pretended to be normal in that situation, but when I was drinking, the desire for another drink would eat at me and not let go. I often come home early and continue drinking "properly".
I know everyone here is alot alike, but this post is straight from my brain.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I suppose we could go on all day on this one, but this is so true. As I've been floating around SR and listening to alcoholic behaviors, here are a few I personally possess:

Worrying about ordering a new drink before the current one is done
Watching the wine bottle diminish and wondering who to trick into ordering more
Watching other people's drinks

Oh, it's too depressing.

Last night I was so tired, but wanted to go out. Friday! But I just decided to give into the tiredness, which makes it possible for me to be up at 6:00 reading papers! Whoopee. But I'll be done by 8 or 10 and I'll be able to have a nice day, so, once again, Thank you SR.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

In my drinking days, if I had one beer it would've just pissed me off. I would've found a reason to go get Effed up.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

And another thing...

I would never take the last piece of shrimp, the last wing, or anything like that in an appetizer plate. I would never take a piece of food off of anyone else's plate (except Phil's--and we order contrasting food for that purpose) or try to get one last bite when the server takes the plate.

But I would damn straight drain the bottle, and I cannot stand to watch someone let a glass of good red wine (or cheap red wine for that matter) stand. And if the server starts collecting them...

It's really pretty embarassing.

I still like my vampire metaphor.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
lost sheep

I found your story so true. It all mirrored me. I had my first day/night of sobriety yesterday. A friend wanted to have girl talk at a pub and at the time I had not told her about my decision to quit. she was great when I told her and explained that a pub might not be the best place for me....even if it was before cocktail hour. All we can do is focus on why we drank, why we chose to quit and sometimes look at others who drink in order to reinforce why we no longer drink...in essence why we are alcoholics.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

By the time I would have arrived I would have surreptitiously had a couple... maybe a flask somewhere, a hidden bottle... sure... I could have had just one... at the restaurant that is... LOL
Old 05-28-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

You guys are all lightweights..... Same scenario, in a restaurant waiting for a table, my wife would order a glass of wine. Takes two sips, our table is ready, walks away leaving the half full glass of wine behind. "Did not like it" she would say. Shear misery for someone who was sneaking in an out if the bathroom with a hidden flask.

Congrats on living sober so that your one year old can grow up without his/hers dad being smashed half of the time.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I would have had two beers, ate my dinner, gone home and then proceeded to have 4 martinis or two bottles of wine.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I can feel you. The last time I had "just one" was when I was 8. My brother skipped school in JR high and snuck a beer to my elementary school. My sister and I skipped class and sat down by the water sipping the beer. It was gross and I got sick to say the least. Of coarse I didn't drink after that until I was 16. I have a huge family history of alcoholism. I believe I was an alcoholic before I even took that first sip. Amazing how things become more and more clear when we are sober. Have a blessed day. Thank you for sharing