Notices

A holiday weekend without alcohol?

Old 05-27-2011, 12:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A holiday weekend without alcohol?

Four months ago, I couldn’t imagine life without alcohol…a familiar post here in Newcomers. Even three months ago I was sobbing while talking to my therapist about how much I was grieving alcohol and my life without it. I have turned a corner recently in my recovery which led me to post today before the holiday weekend.

Everything is my life has gotten better and that voice telling me I can’t live without alcohol is being silenced. It has taken a lot of hard work to get there though. The first month I rarely went out of the house and the next three have been a work in progress. I wanted to leave my husband because he still drinks and have been mad at my best friend because she also drinks. I can now be around both of them without the desire to pick up a drink and without being angry. In the beginning though, staying away from any event associated with alcohol was crucial in my recovery and I still need to be careful. I’ve learned to say no to drinking events where I’m not comfortable because the triggers are always going to be there and I am always going to be fragile around alcohol. The best part of this for me is that I’ve learned to say no and no one’s world fell apart because of it.

I wanted to put this out there for the newcomers because I know how hopeless it feels at times. There are so many good stories of recovery here and I read every day about how people’s lives have been enriched (and saved) by staying sober, and I am one of those people.

So my holiday weekend without alcohol will be filled with things that bring me real happiness. I won’t be the life of the party at every event but I won’t miss the aftermath of how broken that left me. I’m slowly putting the pieces back together and beginning to appreciate everything a sober life has to offer.

Wishing all of you a safe and sober weekend!

P.S. I also won’t be angry if 50 people don’t respond to my post nor will I hit refresh every 5 minutes which says a lot about how far I’ve come. :rotfxko
Old 05-27-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL, you've come a long way already and it all sounds good.

We had a long weekend in Canada last weekend and it was a great time. We finally had some beautiful weather and we ate at a waterfront restaurant, sitting outside. We spent time with family, goofing around and having fun, and most important to me, being there to help out my daughter with her children and knowing that she doesn't hesitate to ask.

Enjoy your holiday weekend!
Old 05-27-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Made me smile to read this, Blue - happy for you!

Thanks for the encouraging and inspiring words
Old 05-27-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

I really appreciate your post and get so much out what you have to say in general (just so know).

Much love.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too am amazed constantly at how much better my life is sober. Perfect, no - but better. Looking forward to another sober holiday. Thanks for the encouraging post.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Hi bluebird! So agree with your post! I always wondered how in the world I could make it through a weekend....or heaven forbid my birthday!

And now......I can't imagine why anyone would want to step back into the madness.

A huge congrats on your sober time! You sound great!
Old 05-27-2011, 02:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post MIB - and thanks for your post - yeah it does take work and changes and a little time but it really is possible and its even better than I thought it could be

Have a wonderful weekend

D
Old 05-27-2011, 03:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
instant

The voice seems to be in the process of being proved wrong. Well done
Old 05-27-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great post MIB, thanks for the inspiring words
Old 05-27-2011, 04:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Bluebird - I agree with all that you said. I feel for those who are so miserable in the beginning that they don't give themselves a chance. That's why SR meant so much to me - I had a constant reminder that I wasn't alone, and that it would be worth it once I 'turned a corner' as you put it.

Not being able to imagine a holiday or special occasion without booze kept me drinking for decades. In the end, I felt nothing - it wasn't fun or exciting, just pathetic. Now life doesn't fly by in a blur. That wasn't living. Thanks for a great and helpful post!
Old 05-27-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Sounds like solid progress to me....
Old 05-27-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Thank you for the beautiful post

.You also have a great holiday weekend and look forward to seeing how it was.

Peace, Dylan
Old 05-27-2011, 07:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Our newcomers need to hear this, thanx!! It can be done, LOL... My son graduates college this weekend and there will be friends and relatives and cookouts... And I will be a part of all that ... I already have my 12 pack of fresca in the fridge, next to my son's beer... LOL... I hate having to reach over it all the time, I told him to put my drinks in front ... LOL
Old 05-27-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Great post! Thanks for the reminder that things really do get better. Happy for you!!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good post and good responses as I white knuckle through Friday night this week. Hanging in there. Getting ready to just go to sleep.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks to all for your responses. We are on this journey together, I sympathize with your struggles, I am sad when you take a drink, and I am encouraged by your successes. We are so fortunate to have this kind of forum to connect with one another.

It's been a great weekend so far (despite all of the rain)! I can't remember my last sober weekend, let alone a holiday weekend, but I know it won't be my last. This new life is just too good to ever pick up a drink again.

Hugs & Love
Old 05-29-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey MIB... huge hugs friend, so very poud of you and incredibly happy that we are travelling this road together. Supporting eachother and sharing the hope with newcomers is a fantastic thing on this road of recovery.

:ghug3
Old 05-29-2011, 07:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congratulations to you on your son's graduation!!!

All of you are so inspiring. I am glad that it is Sunday night, almost through the first holiday weekend. Tomorrow I will be at day ten, double digits! Woo hoo!!!