Notices

The good news? I DIDN'T drink. Day 17...

Old 05-25-2011, 10:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The good news? I DIDN'T drink. Day 17...

Back in the old days -- 17 days ago -- I would have been reaching for a drink because my husband and I just had a very l-o-n-g argument... like two hours worth, and one we've had repeatedly. Don't you love the ones you have over and over and over again?

I'm wide awake at 1am and he's snoring happily in the next room. If I didn't love him, I'd hate him for being able to sleep so soundly after tonight's blowout...

Boy is this annoying. Enough to make me mad. And wide awake. The good news is that I'm realizing that I used to treat my anger with alcohol. I never realized that that's what I was doing. (If you immediately reach for a drink without stopping to understand why -- then you never understand why...)

I'm angry about the argument (over money -- and how my husband feels he needs to support his 30-year-old son whose getting married to a 23-yr old who doesn't work). The way I see it is: if they're old enough to get married, then they should be old enough to support themselves.

I know I'm not the nutty one here. I also know that when I wake up in the morning I'm going to be sober. And that's probably the best news of all. And the soon-to-be newlyweds are going to go on a Honeymoon (don't ask HOW they are paying for it because I'm ill over it).

Especially since my husband and I are NEWLYWEDS ourselves and all I want to do is be a new wife and enjoy the love I share with my husband (and not support adult children).

So there. I blew that off my chest... and I didn't drink over it. Eventually I'll get to sleep...
Old 05-26-2011, 12:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done for getting it out, Brette. And boy oh boy, do I know THOSE kind of arguments! You did well for handling that and not having a drink. Tomorrow you will wake up with a fresh memory of what was discussed, how you felt about it, and what you can add to it...rather than it all being a bit fuzzy and having to rehash over it to find out what you both actually said. I argued with my husband in that way for years, and since I was drinking I felt I never really got my point across in the way I meant to, which just added to all my frustrations. It's so much better now!

Good luck with sorting this out. I agree, at 30 your step son should be paying his way, no excuses.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I cant wait to get married and have a couple of kids. Lol

I'm glad to see that your here venting, then hitting the bottle. Good job! I love the fact that this forum isn't just for posting about how your dealing with your alcoholism. Learning how to cope with life on a sober level is something that I am still trying to figure out. I'm so appreciative of the fact that we support one another on all issues, and stand together to win the battle.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Dune - I'm LOVING the support here... and THANK YOU FOR YOURS!
Old 05-26-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We're all happy faced today... and not hung over. What a treat! Thank YOU for being there. I really appreciate it. How new are you -- and how many days you got? If you're here, I bet you're on your way....
Old 05-26-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you feel better Brette - it's much better to vent than drink

D