Notices

In trouble, looking for words of encourgment, Day 1

Old 03-19-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

thank you so much for coming back to give an update, so inspiring to hear that you have made successful relationships in sobriety,

I wish you continued happiness.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Awesome Freebird!
Old 03-19-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

WOW!!!!!!!!!! Very inspirational. Thank you for the update.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I am so excited to see this. I fell hard myself. I've pieced together some kind of new life. It's not easy but it's worth it.

Thank you for sharing your new life!
Old 03-19-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I love that you updated this old post, just look at the difference between your first and last posts, it is inspiring!
Old 03-20-2015, 07:29 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Thanks for the response. Everything in my life is more healthier, I was on the verge of loosing everything that I worked so hard to build. Now I can focus more of my time and energy on my family and business, instead of hanging out with "so called freinds" in a bar. These are not your freinds, these are people with the same problems as you. I had to change my environment and get a clear mental focus. The foundation is first, STOP DRINKING or you will loose everything. My life is now stable, I have no legal problems or issues, I know I wont in the future, my savings is growing and I travel more.

How did I do it? One day at a time....
Old 03-20-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I always like to hear updates on people's successes in recovery. I first got sober about 4 years ago after a trip to rehab but have struggled with building a new life and periodic relapses. A DUI, bankruptcy, and spotty work history with several firings has made it impossible to pass a background check which companies pretty much all do these days. I don't have a decent reference I could use even.

I used to work in finance before my alcoholism took over but that career is finished for good. Had 3 job offers rescinded after a background check. I am no longer even getting interviews even given that I'm 38 and have huge gaps in my resume.

I fear I will be working menial jobs the rest of my life unable to even buy a house one day.

Any advice on how to build a life when my past follows me everywhere?
Old 03-21-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Good question, do what you love.... READ as much as you can and often as you can. Educate yourself rather the pity yourself. Spend time at the library rather then a bar, I did it all, the Anthony Robins courses to reading every self help book I can find in regards to creating a business around what I love to do. Napoleon Hill, Steven Covey, Lee Iacocca, Steven Jobs you think you had it hard, Lee had to go in front of the fed gov to save Chrysler. I never had a background check as a business, and I never had to apply for a job in the last 25 years. I just do really good work when my heart is 100% focused.

Sorry, I did not do AA, I just kept on thinking that I am on the verge of loosing everything and I am smart enough to turn it around. Flat out scared myself into sobriety. I did 21 days in county and that was enough.

I had lost my parents to cancer and a hard attack and had nothing to fall back on, either loose everything and find a gutter, or clear my head and focus on achievable goals that account for larger goals that help develop that picture of what I had in my mind.

Like attracts like, luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. If you give why you live you always know where you go.

Be that person you picture in your head, leave that crowd that brings you down.

The girl I wrote about at the beginning of my post, the crazy chick, with her new man, she is drinking two bottles of wine a day and popping xanax like tic tacs, I wish her the best, but dont think she will change anytime soon.

My finance is straight as an arrow, beautiful inside and out and extremely smart. Now its our trips abroad and building the largest lego city with her son, its all about perspective and changing priorities.

I am blessed, you can do it. Pick up a good book and read.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

3 years 2 months 15 days, just popping in to say hi everyone. Sorry if you had to read this entire thread to find out it was from years ago. Still on track, loving life and hope the same for whom ever reads this.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Formerly Ringthedoorbell

Congrats Freebird; you made it happen!
I read a little of the beginning of your story, and wow, have you ever made strides in the right direction!
Best wishes for your continued success, and thanks for letting us know how you are doing.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Congrats Freebird :-)
I'm so happy for you . Your life sounds like you have everything running smoothly.
Alcohol has a lot to answer for.
We just need to be strong enough to keep it in tact.

Well done xxxx very inspiring post thanks
Old 07-06-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Congrats Freebird, that's awesome! I had to read for a while to figure out that it was an old thread. My interest grew when you gave a couple of updates. Well done.

Great inspiration in your story. I think that's important for new comers to hear successes as well. It is a tough road, but definitely doable and worth every ounce of effort you put in.

Thanks for revitalizing your original thread and keep going strong!
Old 07-06-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hi FreeBird))) - welcome to SR!!!
you have so much and are able to have the life you want.. yet you throw it away.. may I ask why... maybe some soul searching.. reflecting to the inner you.. why do you do what you do..... as a Mom that was soul support to my kids. and working so hard to get some place any place.. I started drinking.. well one day i looked in the mirror and went that is just a geat Idea Dummy and where would that put your family... My family.. husband did not want to have to be a Dad. or a provider... Maybe kiddo just Maybe its time for you to look in that mirror and go.. What do I want really in 20 years in 30 years or even tomorrow .... and only you can answer that... but here's a punch in the arm and a Stand Tall Hold the High Ground from an Old Lady Clown.. and a hug for starting the correct path.. hold that candle high and keep this group tight.. for you do matter you do have a bunch here that have been in your shoes. smell them keekkekekekek see what did I tell you.. hahahahah. and know that so many of us are here all the time.. ardy from wisconsin...
Old 07-06-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
under new management

Hi Freebird, this is a hugely inspirational thread!

You changed the story of your life in the most awesome way!!!

Congratulations on 3 years and counting
Old 12-17-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

3 year 7 months 25 days since I stopped the madness.

I apologize to all that read this thread to find out it was years ago.

Approaching my 4th year without drinking and staying the course, never going back to my old ways, because you never get ahead.

Hope this gives people hope, stay off the poison, it just killing you.

Happy Holidays to everyone, keep the faith, think hard before that next drink and decide if will do more harm than good.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Sorry for your tough day. I'm having one myself today & as a newbie, I posted a new thread for encouragement but I'm a technology mutant & am having difficulty getting the hang of how this all works. I want to be there for others, too. Every minute or second is time for a new start, I think. I wish only the best for you.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Freebird, thank you for this. Inspirational. Amazing. I'm so glad I read this right through!
Old 12-17-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Now that you want to quit I bet it is different. Good luck!
Old 12-17-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freebird1 View Post
3 year 7 months 25 days since i stopped the madness.

Approaching my 4th year without drinking and staying the course, never going back to my old ways, because you never get ahead.

Happy holidays to everyone, keep the faith, think hard before that next drink and decide if will do more harm than good.
lol
Old 12-17-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by FreeBird1 View Post
3 year 7 months 25 days since I stopped the madness.

Happy Holidays to everyone, keep the faith, think hard before that next drink and decide if will do more harm than good.