Notices

New to this

Old 05-25-2011, 05:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Can you still get to the counselor to discuss your feelings? Masking them and covering them up is not a good idea. You are better off getting them out and at least discussing them so you don't stuff them and drink over them.
If you know you are in a fragile position you want to do everything possible to stay strong. Drinking over anything never solved anything and in reality never made us really feel better. The feelings will always be there when we sober up. They need to be dealt with.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your support and wisdom. Everyone has been really nice here. I think I should start with the 12 steps because I have never worked them. there is a step meeting where I live.

Do people share there feelings in meetings or just stick to the subject?

I am so glad I joined this site.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:32 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome 4feathers. I've been along to a few AA meetings a week in the past month and still get nervous when sharing, but I find people are able to speak about anything... Their drinking, where they used to be, where they are now, and how they got there... And a lot of this is about feelings. Or they might just say they've had a bad day. There are types of meetings that are on certain topics, but I've always felt that it was ok to share whatever was happening for me at the time.

I hope you get something out of them.

Congrats on your months of sobriety!! That's great
Old 05-26-2011, 10:22 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I go to a regular step meeting in my town and everyone shares their story in relation to the step being discussed on the night. Whenever there are newcomers we go back to step one and there is no pressure for anyone to speak at all or you can just say a little bit or however much you like (time allowing). Im in the uk but guess the format would be similar whereever you are. It wouldnt hurt to give one a try and just listen to what people say......

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

PS x