Notices

What to do

Old 05-24-2011, 10:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to do

Hello everyone. New here if you can't tell and haven't figured out the whole navigation of the site and this looked like the right area.

A little bit about my back history. I became sick almost a year ago with a still undiagnosed gastrology problem. I was in and out of the hospital many times and on many different pain killers. Finally was given Oxycontin and sent home till this could be figured out. Well I am still on them since they still haven't figured it out. I started on 10mg 2x day. Now I am on 20mg 2x a day. I have also started having severe anxiety and panic attacks and take 1 to 2 mg of Ativan a day. I hate being on these and wonder if maybe if they may be contributing to my ongoing medical problems. I have also developed several more. I want off of them, but nobody seems interested in helping me. I will also still have the pain from the medical issue. I feel stuck and don't know what to do. I am a 36 year old male and feel 90. I take the meds as prescribed and never any other way or more than I should. I know I am dependent on them atleast. How can I get off of these. I will be honest and say I doubt mentally and physically I can handle very much right now. I am on the edge at all time already and have been diagnosed with severe depression. I can't figure out day to day. I haven't been able to work since all this started. I can say I am scared of the withdrawls and feel I may fell since I have no support. My wife told me she won't sit and watch it happen. My parents just think I can put them down and nothing is going to happen. My doctor doesn't have a clue.

I am basically alone in this. My depression is so severe I have mood swings from rage to the total opposite. I know I need off of these and want off of them. Will weaning slowly make it easier? I realize others have done it with much more of a problem, but a problem is still one. Some may say I don't have one since I have never abused them, but I feel I do because I have to take them. I just don't think I can handle it. If anyone can give me some ideas and information about what to expect as far as withdrawl that would be great. Should I just do 1 at a time or both? I am totally lost and confused. I really don't know what to do anymore, but know I have no life anymore. I don't know if they are caused by the pain killers or something mental. I can't even leave my house without going into a severe panic attack. I haven't had a conversation outside of doctors and family in almost a year. There is no support system for me. I just feel useless to everyone and myself. I am ashamed and embarrassed and don't know where to turn.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Losingitall-

I am definitely no expert in withdrawal from pain meds, but I know that it can be done, safely. Do you have access to an integrative medicine practitioner? Sometimes they are more open to looking at things from a different angle and may be able to give you more insight into your medical problems. Heck, it's worth a shot, isn't it? You sure have a lot of life to look forward to, might be worth getting some answers.

What I can tell you about the pain killers is that they will eventually kill you ( one way or the other). I watched my grandmother go through terrible pain from a bad fall where she broke her back. The drs only real course of action was to keep her comfortable with pain meds. She was 72 at that time and totally full of life. Over the course of the following 9 years, we watched an always VERY health and active woman develop medical condition after medical condition. They all eventually piled up and killed her. When your body is unable to eliminate properly, ( major side effect of pain meds) the toxins accumulate in your system and cause problem after problem after problem.

I know what it is like to hurt. It sucks. Dying sucks more. Hope that you can find the help that you need!
Old 05-25-2011, 06:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR. Take a look at our substance abuse forum for lots of experience with narcotics and such.

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 05-25-2011, 06:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome...Glad you're here.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, I just wanted to say that you're not alone, I can so totally relate to feeling ashamed of my addiction! I've been addicted to pain pills for about 15 years and am only on day 2 of my sobriety, so I don't have a lot of wisdom for you. I can though tell you what's comforting to me, and that is reading the Basic Text for Narcotics Anonymous. I didn't think any of NA could ever apply to me cuz I've never used needles or whatever but I did go to a meeting, out of desperation, last weekend and bought the Basic Text. I don't know why but it's helped the past day or two. Good luck!