Notices

Alcohol Screening

Old 05-24-2011, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol Screening

Hi all, I'm new here. I finally admitted to my doctor today that I am an alcoholic and want help. I have been drinking regularly since I was 18 and am now 29. The amounts I drink have varied over the years, but I am currently at half to a whole bottle of wine every night and am inconsolable if I can't have it. I know that I can't live this way anymore and am ready to stop. I was referred for an alcohol screening...has anyone here ever been for one of these, and what is it like? If I have to do an inpatient program I will, but I am hoping to be able to do outpatient since I have two small children at home and don't live near any family members who can help me. Any thoughts? Thanks
Old 05-24-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven't had one of those I'm afraid changemyway - but others may have
welcome to SR

D
Old 05-24-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I did not have an alcohol screening so don't know what is involved there.

I'm glad that you are seeking support and hopefully the outpatient process will work for you.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not sure what your screening will involve but I can share my experience. I did a short medical detox of about 3 days at a treatment facility just to get over the physical aspects of withdrawal. Part of the discharge was an assessment/screening to discuss continued treatment options. The 3 options were inpatient (for probably 28 days), intensive outpatient (often referred to as IOP) and outpatient.

I could have gone to IOP or outpatient, the choice was mine. I remember a screening assessment of 10 or so variables and my assessment pointed to outpatient which was 1 90" group session a week with AA encouraged in-between. I went to a few sessions but it didn't fit for me. Most of the people in my group were cross addicted (a lot of meth) and we spent most of the time talking about drug issues and how to deal with the legal system, and I didn't have either issue. Meanwhile, AA was feeling pretty comfortable to me and since the next step after group sessions ended was to go to AA, I figured I would just skip ahead and go to AA meetings on the night I would have gone to group. It was cheaper too, my insurance copay on the group sessions was around $25 and since I wasn't getting anything out of it, it was an easy decision.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Zebra1275, your experience sounds pretty much like what I would expect. I could definitely manage going away for three days or so to detox. My doctor actually told me to continue drinking (but cut my consumption by half) to avoid withdrawal until I am able to get assistance with it. The tricky part in my case is that I have other issues besides alcoholism (the main one being bipolar disorder), so I'm not sure if that will make my treatment different in any way. My other issue is that I have no insurance...every time I see my doctor or get medication filled, I pay full price, so getting help for the alcoholism may be difficult from a financial aspect. In prior moments of desperation, I have tried AA and expressed to people there my desire to quit drinking, only to leave the meeting and never be heard from again. I would feel kind of embarrased about going back and admitting my failure, but I suppose that's something I will need to overcome. I definitely would have no desire to discuss drug or legal issues either, as neither or them apply to me. I'm looking for a program that will help me spiritually so that I can learn how to feel at peace and stop focusing on the negative all the time. I need a major lesson in gratitude.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, it sounds like you may be a good candidate for AA. Nobody in AA is going to look down on you because you relapsed, in fact you will probably get a lot of encouragement for coming back. As far as detox goes, if you don't have insurance you could go to the ER or a "prompt care" type medical clinic and get a prescription for valium or something to help with the withdrawals. That, in my opinion is a better way to detox than trying to wean yourself off of alcohol, but, ask the doctor that.

I'm not discounting your bipolar diagnosis, but I know of several people with this diagnosis who's condition improved when the quit drinking.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have heard the very same thing...stop drinking and the mental disorder greatly improves. Just more motivation that way I see it
Old 05-24-2011, 07:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Step 2 describes this . . .

"Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves
could restore us to sanity."
Old 05-24-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have been in and out and in and out and in and out of AA, I am 30 and have two small children also. I've been in and out of AA for five years, I am currently 5 days sober, I just recently admitted to my husband and parents exactly what I've been drinking, which is about four beers (not light beers) and a pint or less of vodka per night (here and there I wouldn't drink but most nights I would) sometimes more since my 16 month old has been born. (never touched it when I was pregnant with either child) I have decided I am for sure an alcoholic. I never ever want to go back to drinking again. I am really excited about being sober but I'm scared to go to the doctor so good for you for going! I don't want to be told I've done damage to my liver that can't be fixed (even though that is probably not the case) I have anxiety issues and I'm waiting til I'm a little more calm to face the docotor. I figure if there was anything wrong with my liver they would have mentioned it when I was pregnant and I doubt I drank my liver to death in 16 months, in most cases it's years.

I have been drinking since 18 but only started drinking alcoholicly at 24, right after the birth of my 1st child. I hate saying that because it sounds so terrible but it's the truth. I was a very sneaky drinker though, I ran a licensed daycare from my mom and was married to a state trooper.

I say go back to AA. It's a great program, the only reason it's never worked for me is because I wasn't convinced I was an alcoholic and last week, I just had this spiritual awakening I guess. I thought, OMG what am I doing to my body? What am I telling my children by drinking every night? I haven't lost any of my baby weight from my 16 month old and I know it's because of my drinking. I'm really excited about being sober this time, I know it's going to be hard but I'm sticking to it this time. Private message me if you want and we can talk more We seem to have some things in common.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

One more thing - I went to a meeting the other day and spoke up and said that I felt scared that I have drank my liver to death and my kids are going to grow up without a mom and no one came up to me and said a word. In the past, I'd have gotten all pissy and thought "poor me, no one care's they suck, it's not for me" but this time, I'm like whatever, I'll find another meeting and different people. Just find other meetings if you don't feel comfortable at some. You WILL not like some people in AA but don't let that stand in the way of going your not going for ANYONE except for YOU.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Change...I've been drinking for 30 years -thru all (4) of my children and I'm glad you want to stop now. Although I was always there I wasn't always there!
After separating with my then husband and getting a new life and new job I started binging and lost my job. I ran straight to an outpatient clinic as soon as they could have me. I went 3 nights a week for 3 hours each night and loved -absolutely loved going. No one could believe that I 'voluntarily' admitted myself since all were court appointed. It felt good to do something for myself by myself to creat a new self.
I pulled myself together...started going to AA, got a new wonderful job and am just loving life.
All my 'friends' are now in AA. I need no others. We share a bond, a common demoninator and can relate to each other.
But the thing is that everyone has their own journey...everyone's experiences are different even though we follow the same road. You need to do what is right for you, for your family and for your sanity. Listen to your doctor but they don't know everything when it comes to alcoholism. My ex insisted I see a doctor...when I told my counselor he said "Why? He'd only send you here!" LOL
The most important thing is to follow your heart, your gut feeling, what YOU want out of it all. You only get out what you put in. If you think you will fail, chances don't look good that you'll overcome that negativity. Positive thoughts create positive actions causing in positive results.
Wishing you peace and strength.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Kristee,

We share the same poison, I drank a combination of a few beers and some vodka like you at about the level you did (notice I used the past tense since you are now 5 days sober). Beer for the full feeling, vodka for the kick. I did that for a long time and then I started drinking a beer or two in the morning to ease the hangover. Fortunately I still have my health and I have 20 years on you. Be honest with your doctor.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Here's how my experience of addiction screenings work:
If the screener has no inpatient program then the recommendation will be intensive outpatient.

If the screener has both in/out patient programs, they will likely make a more objective recommendation.

I knew I needed inpatient and in a very bad way. The first assesment I got didn't do inpatient and they recommended 4 days a week intensive out patient. I've already failed this route twice and the honesty of my answers to the assessor should make them ashamed of their recommendation.

My doctor finally gave me a referral and found a great inpatient program for me.

My best opinion? Get an assessment that is not affiliated with any treatment facility.