Notices

relapsed again!!

Old 05-24-2011, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

relapsed again!!

relapsed again!! feel like crap and lost!! have not been on for a while, was feeling ashamed and did not know what to say and right now do not have much to say!! day 4 again!! why do I keep doing this!!
Old 05-24-2011, 11:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back!

So, what can you do differently this time to avoid a relapse?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do you go to AA? or any support group? I've found that since finding a group of supportive peers I've been able to stick to it longer than I ever have.

Glad you came back, no matter what just keep coming back and reading you are not alone and it will get better.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Fonzie.

I think a lot of us initially underestimate the task at hand.

I agree with Anna - look back at what you've done to stay sober - and look at what you can add to that this time to make it stick.

Did you use any support for example?

D
Old 05-24-2011, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Fonzie, It was really difficult for me to come back and ask for help when I relapsed, but it was the best thing for me and I always felt better trying this with help then on my own.

Understanding why you keep doing this is a bit complicated, but it is exsplainable. People in aa that really understand the aa program will tell you that it is due to the fact that you have not throughly worked the 12 steps (that would be my first guess). Non-alcoholics may tell you that your just not trying hard enough.

You still may be in that phase of self relience which is why it is so difficult to reach out for help. This also makes quitting near imposible because this quality also feeds our self confidence. This self confidence you have becomes your main liability, why.....because your obsesion to drink is stronger then your willpower to quit. It causes you to drink again, and keeps you from getting help. The only way to get over that is to admit you cant do this on your own and you need help. It's the first step in aa, and the first step in comming back from a relaps. Welcome back.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I relapsed over and over and thought I'd never 'get it'. Then on my last attempt I started practising gratitude every day and I've lost the desire to drink entirely. Do something different for your recovery. Be grateful for your blessings. A little gratitude goes a long way.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Fonzie, glad to see you back and well done on 4 days. It is nothing to be ashamed of, you are no different to any of us who have relapsed before you.

Use everything you have learned from this and do something different everyday to make sure that you dont go back again. Reach out for support, if that means coming here everyday, to read and learn and talk in chat, get some face to face support......just give yourself the chance you deserve to remain sober.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back Fonzie, nearly all of us know how u feel, so dont be too hard on urself about the relapse. Try to isolate why u relapsed and see if that situation is avoidable in the future

BUT, great news on day 4 again! Remember, none of us are perfect, we are human.

Keep going bud!