Notices

Back again

Old 05-24-2011, 08:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again

I'm not really new, but I never got around to using the forums.

I saw a lady from Adsis today (it's a charity in the UK which deals with alcoholism).

I have panic disorder which caused me to self medicate. It worked well...at first, then, of course, I became addicted.

I am not quitting straight off but cutting down by one unit a day. I know I know, cutting down never worked for me when I was stopping smoking but because I am such an anxious person I need to do it this way because I am terrified of withdrawals.

The Adsis lady was great, but I'm only seeing her once a month. I thought it would be a very good idea to get some support from the wonderful people here. Also because I have been isolating myself for so long it will do me good to interact with people who understand and won't judge.

I know it's going to be hard, but I NEED to do this before it's too late.

Just excuse me when I don't reply straight away, my anxiety and alcoholism does make me put off replying. But I will try my best to interact. It will do me good
Old 05-24-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you remembered we are here....Welcome back...
Old 05-24-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Carol. I always loved the community, even if I didn't get involved very much!
Old 05-24-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Frisky! Glad you are here. And yes, interacting with us on all on here will definitely help. SR has been so important to me in the 35 days I have sober. I've found everyone to be so supportive and helpful. Keep reading and posting!
Old 05-24-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats newwings on the 35 days That is fab!

I am reading through things now and I really do adore how amazing everyone here is. No guilt because life went a bit wrong, and tremendous support which really is something I need right now.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One more thing - drinking alcohol definitely made my anxiety worse. I can totally relate to you drinking to temporarily help with it, I used to do that too. I had a driving phobia that was really limiting my life. In fact, I only got my US license last year because I didn't want to drive on the highway. I moved to California from the UK three years ago, and the traffic really scares me, especially the five lane freeways.

I am pleased to tell you that I have been able to drive on the freeway for the first time EVER! This was after about 15 days of being sober. Yes, it was still scary, but I didn't have a panic attack or feel totally overwhelmed, and I didn't obsess about it before I did it (which was the worst bit about the whole anxiety thing. I'd mentally plan it for days on end, and feel it really kick up a notch).

I'm also more even and steady day to day, as well. No roller coaster of feelings, just a nice, steady calm inner peace. I still laugh, I still get excited, I still get cross and angry, but the feelings aren't so overwhelmingly intense. Basically - normal!
Old 05-24-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi Frisky-

...and welcome back!

Side by side we go.

Kjell~
Old 05-24-2011, 09:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

newwings That's incredible. Driving is something I really am not not good at! To get along an interstate, that busy, is something I can't even comprehend. And after 15 days sober is even better. It's really amazing!

My anxiety came before the alcohol, but I know the alcohol makes it worse. Half a pint of vodka and I can walk to the shops without freaking out and curling up in a ball on the floor. But next morning I'm shaking like crazy and the anxiety is worse than ever. Vicious circle.

I really want to crack it this time. Slow and steady, and I know I can never drink again once I reach that goal, but I'm going to do it

And thank you too Kjell. I was just reading a few of your posts and they helped me feel more confident.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Frisky

I self medicated too for a variety of things, including anxiety. The trouble with cutting back is pretty self evident - when we rely on something so much, it sometimes can be very difficult to cut back.

Have you thought of seeing a Dr? You could make sure you're safe in withdrawal, and make sure all your other issues are addressed as well

D
Old 05-24-2011, 04:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats and Welcome Back
Old 05-24-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome back! Getting support is so important for us - you just can't have too much of it!

I hope your taper goes well - some people can manage it and some can't. I agree with Dee about seeing a doctor - it would make things so much easier. Have you ever gotten professional help with your panic disorder?

Keep posting/reading - things will get better!
Old 05-24-2011, 07:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Dee74 Yeah, I'm not sure cutting back will be the right option for me. I have a month before I see my counsellor again, so a diary sheet and time will tell. I am going to give it my best shot, and it will work, but then I can see me having a panicky day and thinking "one extra drink won't hurt".

The counsellor won't let me go cold turkey mind you. Her mind is set on reducing so I don't get withdrawals, and from there to abstain completely.

Going to my doctor is tricky. I've told everyone else on the planet I have a problem, but my doctor I became close with. It's like admitting to yet another friend I have a problem. I'm going to have to suck it up at some point though. It's what he's there for.

artsoul Yep, I'm getting help with the panic disorder. That's how I finally came to admit to the the pros that I have a drinking problem. They're great and we're all working together as a team to get my head right again!

I've read a lot on here tonight, and thank you again everyone for your encouragement. I'm going to be stubborn and work on this as hard as I can

Edit because my post went all wonky and part disappeared lol
Old 05-24-2011, 09:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I too developed a panic disorder with my alcoholism. But in 4 months i'm off the booze and off the pills. One day at a time. You can do it!
Old 07-19-2011, 06:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well thought I'd pop back in with an update. It's been a tough few months.

Trying to reduce my intake just hasn't happened. Last week two days running I was so drunk by 4pm I had no choice but to go to bed. Then things picked up again emotionally and THEN I was hit by a massive panic attack. Since then I have been pretty much sat on the edge of my bed quivering with anxiety. And the pros who are supposed to be helping just keep telling me I need to crack on with my CBT.

Pfft, that's helpful, I wanted to actually talk to someone not have them tell me the same old nonsense.

Today I got a call from the Adsis lady, ie alcohol counsellor, she suggested detox.

Honestly I recoiled at the thought of it. She told me to read some stuff online and naturally I ended up here!

The idea of life without alcohol is just something I can't comprehend, but I know I can't get mentally well whilst I am still self medicating with it. I saw a post by Dee saying life was on hold whilst drinking, that's how I feel.

I just don't feel ready to stop, but when am I ever going to be?

Amy