Notices

Caffeine and more caffeine

Old 05-23-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Caffeine and more caffeine

Going to keep this short and sweet, has anyone else gone thru the stage of endless cups of coffee during early sobriety?? I am definitely substituting my vice at the moment. Its not bothering me that much, but is still worth mentioning.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes of course...i don't know anyone who didn't go through this with coffee, tea or soft drinks...well i say did go i still drink coffee for the world:-)
Old 05-23-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just be careful Eddie - too much caffeine can really affect some people in terms of anxiety....

D
Old 05-23-2011, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I drink 2 or 3 sometimes 4 Monster energy drinks a day, the Lo-Carb ones so I dont get all the sugar, I need to cut down but it seems to be my new "thing" at the moment, it was recently candy bars, I still have one here and there but not as often, these drinks now seem to due the trick.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just kicked an energy drink habit 8 days ago. Wish I had never picked one up. I still get my coffee on in the morning though
Old 05-23-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeh it seems that it can go out of control these urges to drink or substitute for alcohol. still I rather it than where I was at a few short months ago
Old 05-23-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

You bet, Eddie. I was up to about 8 Diet Cokes per day before deciding something had to give. I still do 4-5 on a typical day. But, these days I'm a lot more conscious of my intake than I was immediately after becoming sober. For the first several months after quitting booze I couldn't have cared less about how much coca-cola I was drinking.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yep I drink wayyyyyyyy too much pop during the day. People always tell me how bad it is for me, but at least I can function on it...unlike the beer.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That much caffeine would have me in a state of complete anxiety/panic but everyone reacts differently, now sweets on the other hand.....
Old 05-23-2011, 09:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Jil

I smoke cigarettes way too much now
One addiction at a time...
Old 05-23-2011, 10:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've always been a heavy coffee drinker, but have definitely noticed a spike upward in caffeine consumption. I'm trying to reign it back in to no more than 10 cups a day, but feel like the mental fog hangs a little thicker and deeper when I go with any less than that.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm...
I don't like hot drinks nor the taste of coffee...

I did notice in early sobriety I got jumpy when I drank beverages
containing caffeine.

I switched to water and non caffeine sodas for about 6 months...
now I alternte between water and Iced Tea year around. 1 glass of Tea..2 of water works good for me.

Good to see you again Eddie....
Old 05-24-2011, 03:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
is really trying!

Tea, tea, tea. Tea, tea, tea.

Better than booze.

That is all.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I increased my consumption of coffee since I quit drinking. Most times I feel drained in the morning and need extra to get me up and moving. I have noticed that if I drink too much, I get shaky and edgy.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I drink constant tea throughout the day. At least one an hour, which is about the same rate I was drinking before quitting alcohol. Maybe four to five pints of coffee after 9pm.

Actually after writing that out, I think i'll have to make an effort to cut down on the coffee.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Eventually coffee that much began to mess with me and I downgraded to lighter tea. The first 3 months were 2 liters of pop a day, then I went to tea and coffee. Now I am just with tea.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sobriety date April 19th 2011

Drinking WAY too much coffee here too. Talked to my Sponsor and he said it's common. He started with 20-30 cups a day when he first stopped drinking.

His words to me were " Coffee and Cigs won't kill you tomorrow... Alcohol might... one thing at a time. "
Old 05-24-2011, 02:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I drink 3 two liters of Diet Pop/Soda a day...so yeah I'm addicted for sure.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Enoy View Post
Drinking WAY too much coffee here too. Talked to my Sponsor and he said it's common. He started with 20-30 cups a day when he first stopped drinking.

His words to me were " Coffee and Cigs won't kill you tomorrow... Alcohol might... one thing at a time. "
I like the one my sponsor told me "Did coffee and cigs ever get you locked up?"...

I was fortunate enough in early recovery to be at a meeting with a guy who had drunk after 5 years abstinence, we were standing outside having a cig mid-meeting, i was about half way through the steps at the time...said to him well you better work the steps this time, he replied, flicking a cig on the floor "I've worked out what the problem is, i've been drinking for 2 weeks now and haven't been down the gym AND i've started smoking again...i just need to get down the gym and stop smoking"...i ran straight back into that meeting and asked my sponsor when we were meeting next to continue the work...i couldn't believe it lol Literally like listening to myself whenever i drank after a period of abstinence...f'ing crazy!

Yeah after 20 years of drinking alcohol, coffee is a real problem?!

Another funny one...i went to the docs (picture 50 year old guy, glasses, well spoken and educated), to pick up some blood tests, after about 2 months stopping drinking this time, he was anti-smoker, i told him i smoked...he told me, looking over his glasses with a stern look on his face, well you need to pack that in...i then told him in the way we do oh by the way i'm an alcoholic and i'm 2 months sober now so my blood tests should be ok...he looked at me and said "ffs don't try and stop smoking too" lol...seriously!
Old 05-24-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sobriety date April 19th 2011

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
i then told him in the way we do oh by the way i'm an alcoholic and i'm 2 months sober now so my blood tests should be ok...he looked at me and said "ffs don't try and stop smoking too" lol...seriously!
Lol Classic !!!

A couple years ago I quit drinking , quit smoking and started getting up at 4 am to work out in the mornings.... It lasted about 2 months and I was a major ******* to everyone around me.

This time it's working out at night , and still smoking for the time being until I get some more sobriety under my belt.