Notices

Wholly Ow!-- It is a good hurt, sort of...

Old 05-23-2011, 06:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wholly Ow!-- It is a good hurt, sort of...

So, here I am on a Monday morning squeezing in this message before my (24 lb) lovely little girl gets up to spend the day with a bruised and battered Papa. I just wanted to share my experience with you guys to provide a bit of... insight, I guess? First, I should preface this little piece with the fact that I am proud to say that in the past 16 days, I have spent 13 of them sober! That is a huge stretch for me, and with the help from my shrink, SR, and my wife... I feel like things are getting easier. So, onto yesterday's chain of events: I play baseball for an amateur team here in Colorado; I am a catcher. Yesterday, I had the most brutal ball game I've played in 25+ years of playing the game. As we speak, I have 2 cold packs and 3 bags of various frozen vegetables strategically placed on my aching parts. I am in the September of my baseball career, and after yesterday, the 1st week of December of my catching career. Sad. It is tough to deal with mentally and emotionally, and after all of the abuse I suffered yesterday: including a foul ball bouncing underneath me and squaring up the cherries, which laid me out face down for about 5 minutes, a collision while making a play at the plate (preceded the foul ball) a heat-throwing pitcher who kept on throwing 59 ft. curve balls, and a throwing shoulder that is barely hanging on, I really wanted to come home and pour that evil stuff down my throat. I am a passionate ballplayer who is not ready to give up this masochistic game, and combined with the owies I took yesterday it really seemed to make it alright for me to go downstairs and wallow... I hurt today, in many ways ladies and gents, but I feel like I went four for four by heading for the hot shower, eating a bowl of ice cream, and icing up before bedding down for the night. I did it. I didn't let the bad guys in! And if I can overcome this sort of situation, I am willing to bet that I can whip this thing. So in not nearly as many words-- If I can overcome this sort of thing, you can too. Welcome the day that you get that seemingly overwhelming challenge and kick its fanny. No matter how bad you feel prior to saying "I can manage without," you will always feel better after you say it and follow through. Have a great day everybody!

Moving slowly toward more frozen peas,
PapaNico

Old 05-23-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank You!! I needed to hear something like this today!!
Old 05-23-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

and in losing, hurting and suffering .........you have won. The reward is your baby's cuddle !!
Old 05-23-2011, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, absolutely!

You learned that you are able to deal with physical and emotional pain without drinking!
Old 05-23-2011, 02:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's a valuable lesson for sure
Thanks PapaNico - hope you feel better today

D
Old 05-23-2011, 08:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love this post....had to come back again to re-read it.

WTG Papa....