Notices

Stopping as of now, for good.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Stopping as of now, for good.

I am sitting here typing this feeling hungover for the 3rd day after a great night on Friday night with my family. However, I get terrible hangovers nowadays and know deep inside that I cant just have 2 or 3 drinks or that trying a new drink will not stop the hangovers.

All this because I felt I had to have a few drinks because my youngest son passed his driving test...sigh. Cue almost a bottle of gin and bottle of tonic later and Im on day 3 of feeling sick, lethargic and generally not well (Saturday was spent in bed).

I find this frustrating as I take my sports seriously and have just wasted a whole weekend and the start of this week on being ill because I thought I was in control, so I couldnt even THINK of training in my martial arts at all.

I feel like such a weak fool as I had begun a sober-run of 2 weeks but gave in to what I thought was "normal" and had drinks with the family.

Sorry for rambling, but I am glad I came across this site and will try to utilise it to help myself to stay sober from now on! Yes, u hear it a lot, but I seriously will not EVER want to touch another drop of alcohol again.

This is a great site, keep it up and thanks for reading
Old 05-23-2011, 04:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

Originally Posted by Goju5 View Post
Yes, u hear it a lot, but I seriously will not EVER want to touch another drop of alcohol again.
Yes, we hear it a lot. And wanting to quit is the start. But alcohol is cunning and baffling. Drinkers drink even while they hate their drinking. And while I opened with the statement that wanting to quit is a great starting point, staying quit requires a lot more. Do you have a recovery plan? Support?

Good luck.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks My plan is to use this forum to my advantage and use the experiences of others to help if and when I get the urge to drink.

I dont have a recovery plan or support, but am open to suggestions

Greg
Old 05-23-2011, 05:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

Hi

I am on day 8 of my recovery. I was mainly a weekend binger, but it took me years of effort to get to that point from being a daily drinker. I managed to keep sober Mon to Thursday , mostly because I was so sick from very heavy weekends. My life was shrinking to work and drinking, and I was starting the week drained and hungover ( as I had been up on Sunday night, monday morning drinking). Getting my first weekend free of alcohol in about a year was a major achievement.

My plan is one day at a time. welcome.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It was the 2-3 day hangovers that made me want to quit too. And as a marathon runner I understand how a hangovers effect on training is damaging to ones self-esteem.

Doggone is right though, alcohol is a cunning little snake and will try to tell you that you can handle a drink or two once your gag reflex forgets.

Don't believe the lying *******!
Old 05-23-2011, 05:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Instant - well done on day 8!

Beendown2times - glad im not the only one, I agree and thanks