Notices

They can write 6 months sober on my tombstone

Old 05-22-2011, 06:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

They can write 6 months sober on my tombstone

HI SR. I wanted to say Hi to everyone out there. Today is my 6 months.

Wow, is 6 months ever different than 1 month or even a a couple of months. You'll have to read my first post below (I added a link) to get the idea of where I'm coming from. This board was instrumental in getting me on the right path. I'd tried quitting so many times and I could never do it. But this time when I struggled I just came here and asked for help. Just vented most of the time. Thank you to those of you who noticed me. Feeling alone was the worst part of my drinking.

I'm still struggling now but it's not with alcohol. I'm struggling with all that stuff the alcohol was keeping me away from and burying. The real issues. I'd like to tell you all that life is a bed of roses now but it's not. I have more obstacles to overcome. I kind of thought quitting drinking (and smoking a month later) would be some kind of silver bullet. It has not been.

That being said I still know that everything in my life is better. I no longer live in hell everyday. My life was a lingering hell of denial and alcohol for a long time. Hiding, running, and lying.

You know it was about 5 years of really diving into that bottle that put me to sleep. I'm shocked now to find myself 36 years old with the body of a 50 year old. Where the hell did my early thirties go? All that time feels like such a waste. I'm 50 pounds overweight. I used to be so skinny.

One of the hardest things I find myself doing is making goals. Here I am at 36, with no debts, a little cash, some skills and never married. I"m still young. I could meet a nice woman I guess. But barring that? What the hell am I doing? What do I want to do? I feel a little bit like a fool now. I spent so many years drinking all the ambition and drive out of myself that I've woken up and found out I'm lost. I don't know what I want? What interests me?

This is a strange post isn't it. I'm feeling a little strange about my 6 months. I don't want to drink. I don't want to smoke. I do want a life again.

If your interested here is my first post below. It's a little scary when I read it now. I"m like...who is that guy....that sounds awful. That can't be true.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...oblem-bit.html
Old 05-22-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats man. Thanks for the insight as well in your first post.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 months!
Old 05-22-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Are you now planning to knock off those extra pounds?
That would be a healthy goal....

Hope you continue your sobriety....
Old 05-22-2011, 07:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

You sound great Tendencies - Congratulations on your sober time

D
Old 05-22-2011, 07:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

HI CarolID.....you read my mind. The new building I moved into has a gym. I've started running every morning. I caught a cold two days ago that slowed me down but I'm going to do it! Lose these ugly pounds that is.

If I can do that it will mean that I have in the last 6 months:

1) Quit Drinking
2) Quit Smoking
3) Found a great new job
4) Sold my house moved into a great condo
5) Paid all my debts

All that is left is to:
1 Lose the weight
2 Start dating

then further down the list is:
Become an astronaut....
That one is way down the list of course.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

...good for you....keep rocking right along
I too made a lot of positive changes early on...they all worked out to my benefit...

BTW..my user name is carol D not Carol ID....
Old 05-22-2011, 08:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Make it 6 years. I will have 3 years sober on June 23rd. I am also alone and still pickin up the pieces of my shattered life yet, are you ready for this? I am so HAPPY. Dont mean to sound so AA, but it really does get better. Thanks for your post. I really needed it. How are the side pains. Hope its better. I wish you all the best.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had a full checkup about 2 months into my new sober life. Doctor gave me a clean bill of health. I can hardly believe it. He gave me B12 to take everyday. He said the liver is one of the best healers in the body and by 6 months I would have healed any damage I would have done. I'm thinking of going back in for another check up. Just to be sure!
Old 05-22-2011, 09:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Tendancies. I didn't think it was strange. Congrats on your 6 months...that is awesome.
After 30 years of drinking, being a stay at home mom and becoming sober, I don't know where I am in life sometimes either.
Focusing on goals is a great thing to do. I try to do that myself. Start with something small so accomplishment isn't unreal. As you progress so do your goals...they get bigger and you get stronger.
But I seriously still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I think an astronaut is out of the question since I'm afraid of heights. Hehe
Old 05-22-2011, 09:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tendencies View Post

One of the hardest things I find myself doing is making goals. Here I am at 36, with no debts, a little cash, some skills and never married. I"m still young. I could meet a nice woman I guess. But barring that? What the hell am I doing? What do I want to do? I feel a little bit like a fool now. I spent so many years drinking all the ambition and drive out of myself that I've woken up and found out I'm lost. I don't know what I want? What interests me?
I can totally relate to this and I appreciate you sharing your story as I also read the link you posted from the time you decided to live sober. I still struggle with those feelings of the time I wasted during my active alcoholism. I am working on this but it tends to still pop into my head from time-to-time, I feel like I got left behind somewhere on the road of life where I should have been making all these accomplishments.

I so relate to that lose of drive/amibition, the feelings of like now what or what should I do with my life. Mind you, I am grateful to still have my health, house, job and things are alot better in my life without alcohol I still have those periods of regret/anger towards what I should have been at this point in my life if I was never an alcoholic.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

mayleen ....Welcome to our recovery community...

Congratulations on your recovery time.....