Notices

Confused/ what now?

Old 05-22-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Confused/ what now?

Hi
I'm in the UK and I have a terrible issue with drink. My life has been a little traumatic over the last 6 years (not as much as it has been for my wife and kids), but I cannot stop drinking. I'm upto 2 bottles of wine every night and I know it's going to result in losing my marriage.
Is anybody able to tell me how well they're doing and how to break this circle.
I'm an intelligent guy and know it's just down to me, but I'm losing the will to live now. It's destroying everything- and I need somebody to help me snap out of it.
I think just knowing others have been in this position will help.
I don't know whether I'm alcohol dependent, a full alcoholic, a manic depressant, I just don't know.
I took a massive overdose before Christmas, but fortunately I have realised that is no answer- the children need their father.But, I'd rather daddy and mummy were happy and my damn habit is killing my wife's trust and respect in me- in fact I dont think she has any left for me, which you can't blame her for.
Any help or advice from someone who knows what this is like would be priceless for me. I am determined this thing is NOT going to ruin my life.
Maverick001.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't think too much about if your an alcoholic or alcohol dependent if it's going to drive you down your hole of darkness. Trying to find out why you drink alcohol is a very important thing to look at. Understand the issues or depression you have and trying to deal with them will help you cope easier and make it easier to not abuse or use alcohol if you choose to quit all together. Going to see a doctor about this is a good place to start. Try to talk to your wife about this and avoid alcohol tonight. If you need more support you can use AA, SOS or SMART to deal with your problems and to stay off alcohol. But it truly comes down to you if you want to change your life. One step at a time. If you have any alcohol in the house then dump it out.

Weclome to SR and good luck with your recovery to life. Remember you have kids and you don't want to let them down. Life is not that bad if you don't let it be. ;-P
Old 05-22-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you found this forum and want to stop drinking. I was a daily wine drinker, too. I used to wake up in the morning and say "that's it - I'm never drinking again" only to find myself (almost robotically) going to the liquor store by mid-afternoon. I spent most of my day trying to hold off, fighting the anxiety and depression, or getting over the night before.

Things really can be better (even though it doesn't seem that way right now). You may need some help detoxing as withdrawal can be dangerous.

It's normal to be afraid and feel hopeless, but that's the disease talking. The reality is that getting sober will restore you to sanity. You can do it......:ghug3
Old 05-22-2011, 02:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Maverick001

Support really made a difference for me - I always thought it was down to me too - and it is - but that doesn't mean we have to do it alone without help.

It's a life changing decision to stop drinking - it's good to get all the support you can - both here and maybe even face to face support - AA, SMART etc, or some counselling - if you think any of that's an option for you

Welcome aboard
D
D