Notices

did your detox go like this?

Old 05-20-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

did your detox go like this?

had a RAGING panic attack because my heart was skipping beats. went to ER. 8 days later went home.

ativan...

apparently the note sent to my family doctor said i had withdrawals so was given this med. the stories from my family about how i was acting would make my most drunken episodes blush but gotta hand it to that drug. i dont remember a darn thing and kicked my dependence on alcohol and tobacco in one fell swoop.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was already on a sedative so basically I didn't have to endure a lot of the withdrawls that many do and can't get through so go back to the bottle or whatever their drug of choice is. I'm so happy for you though smoking too? Wow. Keep it up. My withdrawl symptoms are mostly sweating, itching, insomnia and generalized anxiety. I'm now having vivid dreams and feelings that I numbed so long that are starting to get to me. I'm going to bring this up in a meeting tonight.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Darknezz,

I went cold turkey detox alone with no sedative and it was pure hell for 4 days with gradual improvement after that. What I experienced I believe was "adrenergic storm." It's the body's attempt to counterregulate the effects of prolonged (alcohol) sedation by upping the amount of adrenaline and norepinephrine in your system. So when you take away the alcohol, all that's left is the excess adrenaline, leading to a speeding heart rate, high blood pressure, anxiety, constant fight-or-flight, and -- for me -- a panic attack that lasted for days. It's good you had Ativan. Wish I had. Very glad it's over. Hope you are feeling better and stronger every day!
Old 05-20-2011, 11:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieJane View Post
Darknezz,

I went cold turkey detox alone with no sedative and it was pure hell for 4 days with gradual improvement after that. What I experienced I believe was "adrenergic storm." It's the body's attempt to counterregulate the effects of prolonged (alcohol) sedation by upping the amount of adrenaline and norepinephrine in your system. So when you take away the alcohol, all that's left is the excess adrenaline, leading to a speeding heart rate, high blood pressure, anxiety, constant fight-or-flight, and -- for me -- a panic attack that lasted for days. It's good you had Ativan. Wish I had. Very glad it's over. Hope you are feeling better and stronger every day!
so youre telling me i didnt miss the good part? lol. YIKES thats hard core! makes me feel like i kind of didnt earn my break from dependence, it was just given to me without even asking for it. weird...
Old 05-20-2011, 11:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

cold turkey

Wow good for you going cold turkey with nothing to help you thru it. But what was it you went off of and for how long had you been taking it? Age and health play a big factor too. Good for you!!
Old 05-20-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

1undone

Originally Posted by 1undone View Post
I was already on a sedative so basically I didn't have to endure a lot of the withdrawls that many do and can't get through so go back to the bottle or whatever their drug of choice is. I'm so happy for you though smoking too? Wow. Keep it up. My withdrawl symptoms are mostly sweating, itching, insomnia and generalized anxiety. I'm now having vivid dreams and feelings that I numbed so long that are starting to get to me. I'm going to bring this up in a meeting tonight.
I too am on sedatives, thank goodness. Just wanted to share with you I'm having the same issue with very vivid dreams. I'm more concerned now about my physical health that I've let go for so long. Can't get back 10 yrs, but going to start slow with some yoga! Day 10 for me and the only thing I can say is my mind is stronger than EVER! Congrats to you 1undone and tu for sharing.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

subisbad:

I drank every day for the past 10 years except for a 45-day period after a car accident in 2008. Near the end, it was ferociously progressive, eventually getting to the point where I had to "dose" every 4 hours in order to keep the shakes -- basically withdrawal -- at bay. So drinking was no longer recreational, it became medicinal. I drank to function. I finally realized that the situation was untenable and that I was basically a zombie slave addict. I knew withdrawal would be horror, but the alternative was much worse.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I finally realized that the situation was untenable and that I was basically a zombie slave addict.
Tell me about it. I have no idea who I was then and no idea who I am now but the now is much better. At least I have a clear mind to figure it out. I was a shell of a person and a mess to be around. Now I know where the term "hot mess" comes from! LOL But seriously, if you are going cold turkey you better be in good health to begin with because some heavy drinkers can risk their lives doing that. Scary stuff!!!

Oh good health = really young.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Drinking

Yes stopping alcohol suddenly can definitely be fatal! Please be careful. I learned this in my 3-4 visits to detox several yrs ago! Please if you can, seeek some professional help, as a detox center if you are able. Mine was no charge. As I was then on state assistance. Good luck my friend!

Last edited by subisbad; 05-23-2011 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Name change...GracieJane!
Old 05-23-2011, 01:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety date April 19th 2011

I treid a few self detoxing routines. My Family Doc gave me some Ativan but I was only using it at night to help me sleep on the nights I wasn't drinking.

When I went to Rehab that kept me on it for the first 3-4 days and weened me off it as my blood pressure started to get back to normal.

I still have half a bottle in my car that the doc gave me back in early February. I don't want to and I'm a little afraid to take it ( even if I wanted to ) because it might put me back in the alcohol mind set, but holding on to it in the event PAWS hit's me really hard.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A good thread. Please be oh so careful in withdrawals. And please be aware that from my experience, benzos, which Ativan is, can be very dangerous, addictive, and withdrawal from them can be a very protracted, life-threatening experience.

Hang tough. See a doctor. Benzos are the drug most prescribed for alcohol withdrawal for good reason. But they can become a crutch well beyond the alcohol withdrawal phase.

SEE A DOCTOR.