Notices

Sober in a Drunk City

Old 05-20-2011, 04:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I lived for a long time in a few party towns - went to law school in Boulder, Colorado and spent a lot of time developing my addiction in Steamboat Springs. Ski Town, USA is known for its champagne powder (awesome snow), but that sure isn't the only "champagne powder" in abundance there! And I could find any substance that struck my fancy without even trying.

I also spent some quality time in Steamboat sober. Where there are parties, there are AA/NA meetings! And the fun I had with sober folks in Boulder and the ski town was unparalleled by any of the drunken, stoned, trippy, coked-up fun I had before!

So I totally understand your predicament. I'd be willing to bet that once you reach out to the sober community via AA/NA or other recovery groups, you'll find that they have more fun at the music festivals than anyone who's drinking/drugging!
Old 05-20-2011, 10:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I can relate, I live in a very big 'party' part of town and I know the feeling and the challenge of staying sober when everyone else is out there having 'fun'.
I plan to move as soon as I can but until then, SR, reading and talking on the phone with others in recovery is my life preserver.

And like others have said, there tends to be a big AA scene where ever there is a big drinking scene, too. Remember that this is only temporary. Hang in there! Hugs,