Notices

Things I won't miss....

Old 05-21-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

So much has already been covered and most apply to me too but I'd like to add -

SWEATING!

Oh for the love of gawd! I'd be sitting at my desk at work and just dripping with sweat and we all know what that probably smelled of!!!! Oh embarrassing and gross!

My biggest shame and guilt and the other thing I won't miss is blacking out while I'm supposed to be a mom to my son while his father was away on business! I'm am so ashamed. I just hope I stopped soon enough that he will only have a vague memory if any.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Thank you for this thread. I've been sober almost three years, so most of these things are long ago memories. But, as we know it can all come back on a heartbeat.

A reminder of the hell that is alcoholism is appreciated.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:05 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
former walking pharmacy

I won't miss:
1) Making stupid excuses to not spend time with my mother/family/girlfriend because i'm getting drunk for (what is apparently) no reason whatsoever.
2) Neglecting the gym, proper nutrition, and taking care of myself in general to drink (this is something I never thought would happen)
3)The loss of interest in all things I normally gain satisfaction from; this is probably one of the worst (I believe the term is 'anhedonia'), replaced by a sole desire to drink and drug
4) Waking up with no idea what I did the night before, and realizing I left my bong out for my father to happily find or made a mess cooking some weird combination of food and passed out before I could clean it
5) Feeling like a disappointment to my family, and avoiding them because of it
6) Having no friends left; only alone with my bottle because I constantly blew them off to drink
7) Being afraid to go out because that would entail driving and I don't need another DUI
8) The AGONY of trying to stop, and the following week or so....so tired, mood swings, no motivation for ANYTHING (except drinking)
9) Starting stupid arguments with my girlfriend that I KNOW are due to drinking but doing it anyway
10) Stealing from people/stores when drunk, among the countless other absolutely idiotic things i've done when wasted (damaging property, insulting people, etc)
11) Waking up the morning after drinking and craving a drink so badly
12) Withdrawing from/simply giving up on college classes that require much work because i'm too busy drinking to have any interest

I think the worst, however, might be KNOWING FULL WELL that ALL these problems are a direct result of alcohol/drugs, and STILL DOING THEM!!

This is a great thread! Very reinforcing...thanks!!
Old 05-22-2011, 10:35 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

spending money I don't really have
being mentally absent to my kids
depression and misery
scheduling my day around the liquor store hours of operation
Old 05-22-2011, 10:54 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Oral health for the next morning - breath smells gross - the only thing to get rid of it is water pik, floss, mouthwash...all of it...90% of the time I would not take those steps

Throwing up - this happened in the later stages - I would drink so much that I would throw up on myself or **** myself in my bed

Lies - all the lies. What I did on the weekend, where I'm going (to the liquour store), my plans for the future (none of it will happen b/c I'm drinking)

Headaches - hangover headaches, headaches from lying around b/c that's what I do when I drink

Weight gain - I gain weight when I drink.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:02 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I won't miss being interrupted every 15 minutes to go to the bathroom from all the beer.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I never drank beer b/c it required so many trips to the washroom.

When I had to drink it, I would end up pissing in the garbage can in my room, and I would need to get rid of it the next day. It's sad to throw out you own makeshift diaper.

As drinking progressed, I was all about the vodka.

When I think of those beer nights, it makes me sad...it's all pretty sad.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:30 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I won't miss the jealous feelings that arrived!! when I got drunk...
Storming off in a huff, because someone hurt my feelings, realising the next morning that what had been said was innocent and realising that I should never have taken offence.
Saying hurtful things that I didn't mean... oh the regrets
The puffy face...
The constant struggle, will I drink will I not drink..
Talking myself into having a drink, thinking that I would be able to control my consumption.
The lethargy, the depressions, the sucicidal feelings etc etc.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

All of those are great.

The biggest one I don't miss is hurting my husband and children. Their love and trust is just amazing now.