Notices

Need sober in san antonio

Old 05-18-2011, 09:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need sober in san antonio

I posted a few weeks back that I was quitting and it was ok for a few days but I couldnt stop. All my friends drink so it doesn't help my situation. The AA meetings I've gone to are late night ones. I work alot of hours so most of the all meetings are over. I truely wasnt help so I need new friends that are sober to help me out.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me staying away from alcohol was key, I mean any alcohol including being around it and others that are drinking it, including staying out of resturaunts in the early days and away from it in stores in the isle.

Welcome, you will find a lot of support here.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

the friends i have are all drinkers and my co-workers are the same. only thing open after i get off work seems to be bars. its very common for me to get off after 10 pm so thats why i say only bars are open. idk what to try any more
Old 05-18-2011, 09:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back TexasGuy

What about approaching some of the guys at the late night meetings and asking them what they do?

Do you do the steps? Do you have a sponsor?

D
Old 05-18-2011, 09:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back.
What did you do on the days you didn't drink?
You don't have to make excuses why you drank. I understand that hanging out with friends that drink is not a good idea so we change our playground and playmates for a time. And if you are working late and can't get to meetings then that means you can't go out and drink either, right? LOL
I don't get to alot of meetings either. I started a new job and although I requested Wed/Thurs off I've been getting Mon/Tues. off. Oh well...wishing you better luck next time. Try again...!
Old 05-18-2011, 09:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome back TexasGuy

What about approaching some of the guys at the late night meetings and asking them what they do?

Do you do the steps? Do you have a sponsor?

D
some of the guys i meet at late meets go to a few a day and i can't do that. i work for a car dealership which requires me to be there all day. meetings are something i can do often because last one is at 10pm in my area.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
Welcome back.
What did you do on the days you didn't drink?
You don't have to make excuses why you drank. I understand that hanging out with friends that drink is not a good idea so we change our playground and playmates for a time. And if you are working late and can't get to meetings then that means you can't go out and drink either, right? LOL
I don't get to alot of meetings either. I started a new job and although I requested Wed/Thurs off I've been getting Mon/Tues. off. Oh well...wishing you better luck next time. Try again...!
i tried to quit but after a few stressful days at work make me want to have a drink. l wish i could say that i can change my friends in an instant but it won't happen. my co-works are also drinkers. seems like i am surround by drinkers
Old 05-18-2011, 10:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Everyone's surrounded by drinkers TG.

I was a musician - when I quit, I had to stop playing, I even stopped going out for a while, and I had to leave a lot of my old friends behind.

Getting sober was that important to me.

D
Old 05-18-2011, 10:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TexasGuy View Post
i tried to quit but after a few stressful days at work make me want to have a drink. l wish i could say that i can change my friends in an instant but it won't happen. my co-works are also drinkers. seems like i am surround by drinkers
From my experience, being surrounded by them doesn't mean you have to drink with them.
I was invited by a coworker to go bowling next week (a group is going) he said if I didn't want to bowl I could sit at the bar and have a few.
Obviously, he doesn't know...and obviously, I won't be going...!

I guess it all depends on how bad you want to quit as to what you can change. I know its hard. Wishing you peace and strength.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i can leave my friends behind but i have to hear at work all day long on how they need a drink or where they are going afterwards. its not just one person at work but alot of them talk about how they need a drink. or i get to hear about how much they drank before. i guess it seems like i have a excuse for everything but serisouly i have to hear all day long from some one that they need a tall glass of cold beer.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Tex,
I was fortunate enough not to be in your situation with work or friends, but I can imagine how your tough it can be. For me it was tough to pass by all the liquor stores. I used to live in a area where there was one on every corner.

Getting past the early stages of recovery is really difficult for me. It wasn't until about 1 year in aa I got to 3 months. I've relapsed since but my urges have almost dissapeared. However when they do come it's extreemly difficult to fight them off. The things that have helped me lately are the things that I really should have done in the begining, but chose not to because I'm so set in doing this my way. Calling people when I want to drink is a major help for me. I'm sure you have phone # of other guys in aa. Try giving them a call as soon as you get off of work.

I also found that making connections with other people in aa that are new like yourself is extreemly helpfull. Most of the time it seems as if it's better then to hang out with or talk to the people that have years of sober time. Some of the guys that have helped me the most recently have only 10-100 days sober.

I know that calling people that you don't really know, without anything to really talk about (except your sobriety), may feel strange or borderline gay. But if you try it for a few days I'm sure you will see how helpfull it can be. I myself have never called anyone and later regreted it.

And don't worry about calling someone late or in the middle of the night. When they gave you their phone #, I'm sure they didn't expect you to only have the urge to drink from 9-5.

Dune
Old 05-19-2011, 08:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TexasGuy View Post
i can leave my friends behind but i have to hear at work all day long on how they need a drink or where they are going afterwards. its not just one person at work but alot of them talk about how they need a drink. or i get to hear about how much they drank before. i guess it seems like i have a excuse for everything but serisouly i have to hear all day long from some one that they need a tall glass of cold beer.
Welcome, welcome, welcome...I was given grace via the rooms of Alcoholic's Anonymous. Eventually, through course of action that was given to me freely by the fine folks in AA, I am no longer interested in drinking. I have been given a new attitude toward liquor...I am not on guard against it, don't have to fight it, none of that. I have been given the very beginning of a life beyond anything I could have come up with.

If you want what we have I know some folks in your area that will point you upon the right path:

The Primary Purpose Big Book Study
Startsville, TX (Near San Antonio)
Cranes Mill Baptist Church,
10215, FM 2673 Canyon Lake, TX.
8:00 PM Saturday nights.
Sandie –830-899-8555 Cell is 210-748-7404
[email protected]

These folks are the real McCoy, probably a little different than some of the meetings you have attended. If you are done...well...that is the place to be. If I come across any other good ones in San Antonio I will let you know. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you sir.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome back to SR, TexasGuy!

I tried to quit last month too. So I'm back at the beginning with you. You can do this. Do you have to go out with this group after work? How about going home and watching a movie?
Old 05-19-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

So sorry things have been such a struggle. It used to make me mad/sad/jealous that others seemed to be able to go out and drink and I couldn't. I had to remind myself that 1)they weren't obsessed like I was or 2)if they did have a problem, it would catch up with them sooner or later.

It took me about 3 months before other people's drinking didn't bother me. So it does get better. I don't feel like I have to fit in anymore, and it's a real relief.

Prayers and hugs.......:ghug3