Notices

iv. sleepy!

Old 05-18-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

iv. sleepy!

I'm being very careful four days in. I'm resting and eating well; I'm doing things that matter to me and feel pretty darned good.

But I'm having such a hard time waking up in the morning. I'm glad to feel good, but I'm so sleepy--despite seven hours of sleep.

Is this normal at all?

Something to add. I know that I have been in the relapse cycle, but the result has been that I didn't shake this last time. I think that a few days sober then a relapse actually works to ease the symptoms. I'm not justifying, maybe I'm just marvelling that I was THAT messed up.

Hope everyone on SR is doing well this morning. I'm off to face traffic.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hope it's normal, i'm on 57 days and I still sometimes feel tired. Your body takes time to heal and readjust, so just take it easy and listen to what your body tells you it needs.

Try drinking a lot of water, a lot of different symptoms are just signs of dehydration.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Missy7! Yeah, I actually just posted a thread yesterday about the lethargy...I am on day 4 too...day 43 of abstaining from my DOC and still pretty tired most of the time. The best strategy I have come up with is to just accept that that's where I am in my recovery and make do. I count every little thing I manage to do in this state as progress and am not too hard on myself. Congratulations for making it to day iv!
Old 05-18-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I strongly urge you to see the Dr. Take your vitamins, water load and see the Dr. Anything can happen when your body is ridding itself of all the poisons
Old 05-18-2011, 09:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Missy, I felt pretty ropey on day 4. In fact, I made a posting about it on here (somewhere) and one thing I mentioned in it was the lethargy. I didn't feel more energized until days 5/6, so sleep if and when you can, treat yourself well and look forward to feeling better...it's coming soon!
Old 05-18-2011, 12:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I'm at work with my new electric teapot--a marvel. I've used only one teabag but have refilled the cup about six times this morning. This is a new habit and I may need one of these next to my chair in the livingroom.

I am tired, but I just didn't think I was doing that much damage. And you know what? Phil is feeling just the same. So he's cleaning out too--just by accident.

We have reinstated our cooking regime so last night we cooked about ten meals in advance. So we can just hang out and watch the sun relearn how to shine. But I just read KellyEurope's food class info from Rehab, and I think a little wheat bread and cheese is definitely in order.

I'll be off to class soon. I've devised a way to make everyone read a poem rather than reading them all myself. I just wish we could sit in a circle.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 3 here and absolutely exhausted! I've slept most of the past few days (which is TOTALLY out of the ordinary for me - I normally get far too little sleep). Seeing my psych in a couple of days because I'm not completely sure it's not depression rearing its head again - sleeping way too much is usually my first sign I'm heading downhill in that regard. But I'm hoping it's just a function of withdrawals!
Old 05-18-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety date April 19th 2011

I think it hits everyone differently. Or perhaps the method of detoxing ?

I remember when I was drinking that I could never sleep past 4 AM. I think I was waking up with withdrawals and just couldn't sleep.

then when I tried self detoxing I spent most nights tossing and turning in a sweat.

Through Rehab detox ( using ativan ) by day 4 when I was completely off them I was sleeping well and very alert and active all day. But then I was an everyday drinker and stayed in a tired feeling most of the time while drinking.

Also I happen to be drinking twice the amounts of coffee and smoking more ... But I'm also eating WAY BETTER and doing alot of exercising ... so ... go figure... lol
Old 05-18-2011, 01:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Missy--Sending vibes for a Happy iv Day.

FWIW, my 2.5 months experience is that every day is a little different. I've had a COUPLE of those pink-sky focused-energy jump-out-of-bed-days and more than a few drag-out-of-bed days. And a lot of inbetween-days.

My thinking for me is that I'm just taking each day as it comes, focusing on healthy habits, and not making any one day mean too much.

Have you meandered over to the Gratitude or Whiners threads? It was suggested to me early on and I'm really enjoying playing. Some nice short-form word play happening there.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
★May 13,2011★

I'm on day 6 and have been tired too...been sleeping 10-11 hours a night! I don't mind it much though since I do feel great when I wake up...so I guess it's just what my body needs at this time! I'm happy to oblige
Maybe if you can try to get to bed earlier or wake up later? 7 hours doesn't seem like enough sleep,maybe your body needs more rest.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I may very well need eight or nine hours, I'm kind of a sleeper. But It's just a surprise to me. I do have great mornings too, but today was a challenge.

Eating pickles and looking forward to Starbucks after work.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Missy: sleep is something I have learned to love in sobriety! I used to get enough sleep to sober up. Then I went thru the first few hours of work feeling like hell. Waking up after 8 hrs of quality sleep is awesome. If your body is telling you it needs rest...do it.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree with those who say your body may need the rest. I imagine it's like a thirsty plant and sleep is like its water. (Did that make sense?!)

Maybe right now it feels like your body is saying "UGH!!" but it may be saying, "THANK YOU!!!"

Old 05-18-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Missy,

As stated already I think everyone is different. I'm on day 5 and I'm having trouble sleeping, or should i say falling asleep. Usually a little bit of a night owl, go to bed around 1-2. But these first few days stayed awake through the entire night and part of the morning. then fall asleep late morning for a few hours then get up.

But yes, lathargic here too. Take it in stride, do the healthy things you know to do, and "this too shall pass"

Congrats on Day IV!

Jay