Notices

Day counts.....

Old 05-18-2011, 05:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sobriety date April 19th 2011

Day counts.....

So there is something I've been wondering about when it comes to counting time of sobriety.

For instance. My last drink was taken on the 18th of April , so I consider april 19th my first day of sobriety which would make today 30 days is I count the 19th as day one.

Is this correct ? Or should it be tomorrow ? Tonight is my home group meeting and I was hoping to get a chip there but I don't want to jump ahead a day on that. My sponsor said he would be tied up most of the day today, so I doubt I'll be able to reach him to ask.

On that same thought. Going forward. Do most of you count just the date itself and in months when picking up new chips ?

For instance 60 days for me wouldn't be June 19th due to the 31 days in May.

Just curious about these two subjects.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can't answer your question about chips since i don't do AA..but wanted to congratulate you on your MONTH of sobriety!
Old 05-18-2011, 06:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well I was able to get in touch with my sponsor and he said today would make 30 and he wants to give me my chip tonight.

and THANK YOU.

<insert cornyass little dance here>
Old 05-18-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I start the count from the day after I quit. I don't know if it much matters in AA. I know they write down your sober date but if you are a day ahead or behind you don't get thrown to the lions.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah , that's pretty much me. I made the decision to quit on the 18th ( my last drink ) then checked into rehab early morning on the 19th.

I was mainly concerned about the "jynx" of getting it a day early.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

OH NO! A jinx? I didn't know that all this time....I'm ruined....I'm done....my life will never be the same. LMAO

I am surprised that you thought your sponsor wouldn't be available for comment. Isn't the point of having a sponsor to be able to get ahold of them anytime you feel the need? I don't have a sponsor but that was my impression.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

lol yeah well I'm slightly superstitious.... but not severely. I'm more of a Karma guy....

And yeah they are there to answer your call, but he warned me yesterday that he would be tied up most of the day today and may not be immediately available. I mean sponsors have lives too other than being at the beck and call of every addict that needs some attention.

That's one of the reasons they teach to have multiple contacts you can call outside of your sponsor. I have 3-4 numbers in my wallet that I don't use , but keep in case I need them one day.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Enoy, CONGRATS on 30 days and totally enjoy getting your 30 day chip tonight! I love watching people get their chips -- I think it is so special!

Again, congrats!
Old 05-18-2011, 07:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would just use the day you stopped drinking imo

I'm only at 5 days but look forward to reaching a month
Old 05-18-2011, 07:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on being sober today!!
Old 05-18-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I took my 30 day coin a day early because I was going out of town the next week and wanted it in my pocket, kind of like a security blanket. I also wanted to get it from my home group. Now I always carry 2 coins. The most current, and my first 24hr. I put one in either pocket for three reasons- quick access to the serenity prayer, reminder of where I'm at, and how I got here, and should I ever happen to relapse and walk back into a bar or liquor store, I'll have to see my AA chip as a reminder before I grab money for a drink.

Congrats on 30!
Zube
Old 05-18-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The first 30 days are the most difficult. Keep up the good work. You Can do this!
Old 05-18-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks you all !

And yeah Zube , I carry my white chip with me in my pocket everyday as well. I was thinking about whether I would replace it with the 30 day , or would I carry both. There is something sentimental about that white chip ( especially considering I've picked up 4 this go round and 1 from years ago. )