Notices

Rational Recovery?

Old 05-17-2011, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rational Recovery?

I've been in AA since maybe January. I have a sponsor and I'm working the steps. I've made (some) progress, but have no real sober time to speak of.

There are a lot of things I really like about AA. I have a strong belief in God, so AA is compatible with that. Most of all the 12 steps appeal to me because I like the idea of a spiritual change... I am very attracted to 'the promises'.

On the other hand, I struggle with the belief that alcoholism is a disease. I struggle with the belief that I am truly powerless over alcohol. I did come to believe that (it wasn't too hard with my struggle to drink) but deep down something just doesn't really mesh well with me about that.

So then I stumbled on a Rational Recovery book, and although I'm a bit put off by the hardcore anti-AA stance, I have to say I'm very attracted to it.

Has anyone here tried it? Had success with it? Failure? Any knowledge or opinions?
Old 05-17-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been to AA and have been to over 10 meetings over the last 9 years. I think it's whatever works for you then do it.

I believe alcoholism is a disease and that I'm powerless over it. I have read rational recovery I used it to get sober for about 2 1/2 months but went back to drinking I wasn't ready to stop drinking back then and couldn't grasp not having a drink again ever.

This time round I'm using SR and going to a rehab to educate myself about my problem with alcohol and how to stay happy, sober and recover from this disease through abstinence. I believe i can't take another drink because I don't want to end up dead.

I think if you really want to give up the drink you can and the first step is acknowledging you have a problem and doing something about it. If you don't make that decision to not pick up that first drink no matter what AA meetings and rational recovery is useless.

I may be off topic a bit but I just ran with what I wanted to say.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

If I had power over alcohol, I wouldn't be wasting what hours I have left on this earth on recovery websites. I would be focused on my original passions on this earth
Old 05-17-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

We are very fortunate today that there are so many different recovery program options out there. I am absolutely sure there is a program that can work for anyone.

Although AA is the program that has worked for me I truly am happy when I see someone who does not find it something that they can believe and work in find a different program to get sober. Because what truly matters is sobriety. That is the bottom line as the disease kills way too many of us.

I had to accept that I was powerless over alcohol and that my life had become unmanageable before I could truly know that I was beaten and desperate enough to do whatever it would take to find sobriety. But not everyone needs that to in their life

Good luck with your program, I do hope you have found your solution to your alcohol problem.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I went to a rational recovery program back in '03. I never got sober in it and found I was among many who were not very serious about recovery either. It just seemed like an easier way out.

AA this time - 92 days and now. It's a much harder program but if you really want it - it's there for you.