Notices

Told family about AA/update

Old 05-15-2011, 07:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Told family about AA/update

So I finally told my family about my drinking problem. It surprisingly went better than I thought it would. My mom just said she thinks I am moving in the right direction with going to AA. She also told me how like EVERYONE on her side of the family had a drinking problem. That makes me feel a little better but I am kinda wishing she had told me before now.
My ex who I lost because of my drinking problem still isn't coming around. We hang out, and I think things are lookin' up but then he still says he doesn't think he can be with me. He is taking me on an emotional roller coaster. It is so frustrating cause I know that I have changed. I know that if we got back together he would never have to deal with me being drunk or doing stupid things while drunk again.
On the up side I do feel alot better being sober. It has been 47 days now. I feel healthier, and I love that I remember everything.
Thanks for listening to me ramble.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
King of Fools

Always good to have the family support, or atleast have it go better then you thought/expected....my fathers side had a long history of drinking, so I know about the past bloodline related deal.

I feel you big time on the ex situation...easiest way to put it, focus on you and keep doing that, 110%. If its meant to be he'll come back around, especially if he sees the great progress. I know how frustrating/tough/trying it can be for sure. Try your hardest to not dwell or even really think about it (easier said then done I know,and I also know that might sound cold/ignorant)... but staring into stressful/testing situations isn't going to help. The more you grow and change your views and opinions might change as well. Keep becoming yourself,and stronger/better.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you are like most of us on SR, you have a long drinking history and stuff to clean up and relationships to mend. You may feel you have changed by not drinking but others usually need more proof. It seems like proof comes with sober time, the longer you are sober the more people are likely to beleive you have changed.

That sucks because it requires us to have patience, something I sometimes struggle with. And even then some relationships may have suffered permanent damage and there is nothing we can do about that but move on. That sucks too.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like you, I was frustrated at first when people didn't see that I changed completely. Patience was something I needed to learn. Allow people to see how you are changing and living your life differently. That's the best thing to do.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 47 days. I am glad your conversation with your family went well.

I wouldn't worry too much about your ex. Concentrate on continuing to improve yourself and the rest will fall into place.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It is frustrating when other people can see, or can't appreciate the effort and changes we've been through.

But we have to be patient I think...for us it's been a life changing experience...for them it's been 47 days.

It took a year or more for some people to trust me again. I'd let them down a lot of times.

If you continue to stay focused and sober, I think everyone will eventually see the changes Gorpus

D
Old 05-15-2011, 06:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm always so happy to see people whos parents are happy and supportive. My mother basically let me know that I was a complete disappointment having been so far out of control for all those years. Even though we see each other about every year and a half since I moved quite a ways away- she still thinks that I've somehow brought huge shame on the family - even though she didn't know I was so sick and am working very hard to get well.

F- her...I've got real support where I need it most. Wife, kids, friends from AA.