Notices

Trying to Quit without AA, any advice?

Old 05-13-2011, 08:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to Quit without AA, any advice?

Any suggestions?

I'm not doing too bad, I'm down from 7 days a week to 2 days a week, but I know I need to quit completely.

Has anyone managed this without professional help?

Thanks
Old 05-13-2011, 08:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have. I've got five months now. Five good months too. But I've had plenty of help—read a lot of stuff written by professionals, spent of lot of time here learning from folks (including some very insightful AAers, I might add). I think a key for me was to quit focusing on what I was giving up, and start focusing on what I was gaining. Freedom and self-respect being at the top of the list.

But you know what? If I find myself slipping, or even feeling like I'm simply abstaining from alcohol instead of embracing life, you can bet I'm gonna be heading to an AA or SMART meeting and making an appointment with a professional.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's quite a few of us here that quit without AA.
SR is open to anyone

The first step for me was not drinking at all - I had to get out of the cycle completely to get better and to have the perspective to think clearly again and to know what to do next.

I really had to reach a point where I absolutely accepted I could not drink again - no matter what - and I had to stick to it.

All that was hard work - the hardest work I've ever done...but you'll find a lot of support here. Support, no matter how you get sober, is vital I think.

anbd yeah - absolutely see your Dr if you've been drinking a while regularly. Detox can be a problems sometimes.

Welcome

D
Old 05-13-2011, 08:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Servant of God

I'm sure there are some who have.

See your DR. and be honest.

All you have to do to quit is not drink.

You may find life gets hard without something to take the edge off at some point and for that I suggest some kind of program. Doesnt have to be AA.

You can learn a lot by just reading here. Stopping drinking is easy, you just do it. Changing your life so that you will never drink anymore takes some work.

Your posting here is a great start. Live in the moment as best you can. Forget about yesterday and don't worry about tomorrow. Do the right thing for yourself and make great decisions for right now.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

By the way, you found a great place. Glad to have you aboard.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
...is learning and growing...

Welcome!

So far I have 52 days and the only formal support is SR although I've read the AA Big Book repeatedly and listened to hundreds of hours of speaker tapes. I've found the wisdom of recovered alcoholics invaluable in keeping me focused on recovery. To be honest, I haven't really had any serious cravings just the occasional casual thought about having a drink but it seems to dissipate if I acknowledge it and move on. I read on here that most cravings tend to come and go fairly quickly within a minute or two and that really helped me because I knew what to expect.

Take care of yourself and best of luck
Old 05-13-2011, 09:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
...is awesome!

The professionals are the people who are alcoholics, we are the professional drinkers and have the knowledge AND experience! For me the biggest support was listening to, reading stories or being around other alcoholics. It didn't matter who did what program etc, what works for one does not always work for another but the common theme is there and that is that we are all in the same boat. I read the big book stories, kept busy, wrote down what I wanted to change about myself and about my life and started working and focusing on one thing at a time. I started getting more sunshine and taking natural supplements (for my depression). I also starting DBT but again thats more for my mental issues but it ties in with my alcoholism. Mostly I try and remember to forgive myself...that's huge for me, once I forgive myself and stop dwelling on the lost past and mistakes ive made, it gives me permission to love myself and start afresh, yep might make lots of boo boos today but its ok, its just a day as long as im sober everything else isnt too bad :-)
Old 05-13-2011, 09:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Another non AA guy here and I'm 4 months in as of yesterday.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've got over 4 months so far, without AA. I did see a couple of psychologists for a while though. That helped, as did the Four Noble Truths (Google it) and lots of time reading here.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Thats what I love about SR there are different paths for all of us.

Some people go to AA some workout. My friend got herself into college.

Its important for me to keep my mind busy so it doesn't wallow in negative thoughts and or behavior.

It was also important when I was first coming off the alcohol & dope to go to my Dr to make sure I was okay physically. Like others have mentioned sometimes detoxing can be a bit difficult.

Glad you reached out here on SR I for one can attest to the importance this place has been in my journey to rediscover who and what I am.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

David:

I salute you; I personally had no sober support group in the town I lived in, so AA was my circle of strength. When it comes down to it, we all have to quit on our own unless we're institutionalized...but you asked for advice, not analysis.
My top thoughts on this would be:
1.) Make sure you are around people who support your goal;
2.) Try your hardest to avoid intense emotions or extremes for a while;
3.) Work out a LOT, cardio and lifting, and take amino acids and DHEA (dihydroepiandrosterone- 5.00 at walmart), this helped me incredibly; especially my mood. Try to drink over a gallon of water a day.
4.) Meditate for at least a half-hour a day.
5.) Set some small goals and give yourself a reward each time you reach one successfully. Reprogram your head.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've been 18 months, largely without AA, I don't have the obsession with alcohol anymore that I once had and that is great freedom. However I did go see counselors and tried to work with my doctor. I'm not an atheist, so that didn't stop me going to AA (yes I know there are people in AA who are also atheist).

I'm still sober but willing to reconsider AA should I need it one day.

There's a link on this site of other programs, not sure if this is the one usually given but it's a list http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...cular-web.html

You can have quality recovery without AA but you still have to put the work in, it's not necessarily any easier than doing 12 steps. I still had to confront some difficult issues and truths about myself at times in recovery. Still had to be cautious with my mind trying to give me reasons/excuses to drink again. If I didn't have people to talk to at those times, to correct my thinking, and talk some reason/sense to me, I doubt I'd still be sober today. When you keep it all to yourself, it's easier for your thoughts to become clouded and distorted.

Many people have some misconceptions of AA. I found this site a very good explanation Your First AA Meeting<

Early in my recovery, I felt very sensitive and resistant to a lot of what other people were telling me. I can look back now and see that they may have had a point after all... always be willing to listen and receive guidance from people who have been there themselves. If I ever make a point to someone, it's because I have been in their shoes, made the same mistakes, it's an even playing field.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I've been able to recover (now going on 2 years) without any formal program. When I say recover, I mean that I'm now free of the mental obsession to drink. Alcohol no longer has any hold on me. I've been able to do it with some face-to-face support from a few close friends and family members and reading/posting here at SR. There are lots of options out there, I hope you find what works for you.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I just passed 13 weeks without any formal program. I have support from my family and I do a lot of reading here on SR plus other information on recovery and alcoholism. What ever works for you to stop, just do it.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't go to AA either.

I have relied heavily on books, working hard daily on my recovery and coming here to SR and reading and posting.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses

Thank you everyone for your response, and I should have noted in my first post that I have nothing against AA it just doesn't work for my personality.

I feel I'm getting stronger by the day and near breaking the habit for good, I just also believe deep down that there is another way besides AA for people to find the strength they need to quit.

What that way is I'm not sure, but I think just plain old "talking" is part of it which is why I'm posting this.

I'm a closet drunk and no-one except maybe my daughter knows about it. I still have friends who regularly invite me out for a beer and I think to myself "if you only knew"...

I'm in the process of documenting my experience in hopes that if I can get through it I can pass it on to others.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!
Old 05-14-2011, 08:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes, it's possible to quit without AA, I did for over 5 years once. But after a series of relapses I decided to dive into AA because I knew I needed to do something different.

One of the most valuable aspects of AA for me is the fellowship, I no longer am dealing with this alone and I can go to a meeting anyday and be among "friends." SR is great, but it can't replace the face to face support of AA.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Having a treatment plan that fits my personality is working the best ever. Being active here at SR, SMART Recovery, CBT and other healthy practices works just as well as any other recovery method.

Being committed to living a healthy life sober and having a plan to follow is the key to all of the best methods to recover from addiction.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You Can Do It If You Want!

You don't need AA to quit; AA helps, but it's really up to you. What had helped me when I stopped was Father Joseph Martin....he was about the straightest shooter on the lecture circuit and his simplicity taught me more than anytime I had spent in AA meetings to be honest.
Google him, there are several DVD's available and I think you'll love him!
Best of luck to you!!
Old 05-14-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Once you learn how to deal with your problems, it gets easy to not drink and you don't have that desire to drink. Found out why you drink and can get out of that cycle.